Piece of Heart
| This article is a viable candidate for reorganization.
Please see the related discussion on this article's for more information concerning its future layout.
Piece of Heart from Twilight Princess
|Game(s)||A Link to the Past|
Ocarina of Time
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
The Wind Waker
The Minish Cap
A Link Between Worlds
|Other media||Super Smash Bros. Brawl |
|Use(s)||Forming a Heart Container|
Location and Uses
In many games, a Heart Container can form by collecting four Pieces of Heart. They were introduced in A Link to the Past, and have since appeared in almost every other title following it. Pieces of Heart are scattered throughout the world, and can be found in Treasure Chests, won in mini-games, purchased from a shop or someone, or given as thanks for helping someone. Obtaining a Piece of Heart will immediately refill all of Link's health, regardless of whether or not that Piece of Heart is completing a Heart Container. The amount of Pieces of Heart depends primarily on how many Heart Containers are in the game; the Pieces of Heart, combined with the Heart Containers, typically add up to a total of 20 Hearts by the end of a game. The number of Heart Pieces in a game is inversely proportional to how many dungeons (therefore, bosses with Heart Containers) are available in that adventure. Because of this, Majora's Mask holds currently the record for having the highest number in the series (52, this for featuring only four Heart Containers).
Although now a series staple, a number of games do not feature Pieces of Heart. Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures and Tri Force Heroes do not have collectible Pieces of Heart, as Heart Containers are not permanent upgrades in those games. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, despite having permanent Heart Containers, also do not have Pieces of Heart.
Twilight Princess breaks the tradition by requiring five Pieces of Heart in order to form a Heart Container as opposed to the usual four. In spite of this, Link's smallest unit of current health is still in fourths.
The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are the only games in the series to have in-game guides showing where the Pieces of Heart are. The Wind Waker has the Sea and Island Hearts Charts that reveal their location in both the sea and on islands. Twilight Princess has the fortune teller Madame Fanadi who can guide Link to them by paying a fee.
It is unknown if any character other than Link understands the use and purpose of the Pieces of Heart, or if any character other than Link can use the Pieces of Heart, as very few characters ever have anything to say about them, even when handing them out as rewards. In Twilight Princess, if Link catches the Piece of Heart while fishing in the Fishing Hole, Hena will remark "Whose heart did you catch? You big sweetheart!" In Skyward Sword, Beedle will eventually sell Link a Piece of Heart starting at 1600 Rupees. If Link asks Beedle about the item so that he can buy it, Beedle will tell him that he does not actually know what it is, and that he found it somewhere nearby. Fortune tellers who give hints leading to the location of Pieces of Heart refer to them as something having to do with love.
Pieces of Heart Summary
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ハートのかけら (Hāto no Kakera)||Heart Piece|
|SpanishEU||Pieza de Corazón||Piece of Heart|
|SpanishLA||Pieza de corazón||Piece of Heart|
|FrenchEU|| Quart de Cœur
Fragment de Cœur
| Quarter of Heart|
Fragment of Heart
|German||Herzteil||Piece of Heart|
|Italian||Frammento di Cuore||Fragment of Heart|
A Piece of Heart sold upside down as a "Rare Peach Stone" at Subrosia Market in Oracle of Seasons
The Piece of Heart in Horon Village in Oracle of Seasons
Beedle selling a Piece of Heart from the Masked Beedle Shop in The Wind Waker
Piece of Heart Miiverse Stamp from Twilight Princess HD
- "TIP: For every four Pieces of Heart you find, you complete another Heart Container." (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Prima Games), pg. 15)
- "Find and open Treasure Chest #11 to pull a chest from the Great Sea near Crescent Moon Island. The chest contains Piece of Heart #4." (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Prima Games), pg. 146)
- "Enter the lighthouse building [on Windfall Island] and talk to Salvatore, the man behind the counter, to play the Squid-Hunt mini-game...If you're successful, you win Pieces of Heart #2." (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Prima Games), pg. 139)
- "Find and open Treasure Chart #32 to pull a chest from the Great Sea near the Boating Course. The chest contains the Sea Hearts chart [which contains all locations of Treasure Charts that lead to Pieces of Heart]." (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Prima Games), pg. 154)
- "Find and open Treasure Chart #19 to pull a chest from the Great Sea. The chest contains the Island of Hearts Chart [which include locations of all Pieces of Heart that aren't found in Treasure Charts]." (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Prima Games), pg. 157)