A map of Holodrum
|Inhabitant(s)||Humans, Gorons, Deku Scrubs|
|Related place(s)||Subrosia, Labrynna|
Holodrum is the land in which the events of Oracle of Seasons take place. The land's vibrant landscape is unique that it is affected by the four seasons, which begin change erratically when Onox imprisons the Din and causes the Temple of Seasons to sink into underworld of Subrosia. Onox's ultimate goal is to create chaos in Holodrum in order to light the Flame of Destruction.
Holodrum's geography, like its sister land Labrynna, is diverse. The north is dominated by mountains ranging from east to west. In the west lies the Tarm Ruins, where stands the tall tower of the Ancient Ruins, the highest point in all the land. This is followed by the dark Northern Peak, where Onox has built his stronghold. East of the Northern Peak are the Temple Remains, where the Temple of Seasons once stood. This is overlapped by Goron Mountain, home of the Gorons, and followed by Mt. Cucco on the eastern edge of Holodrum. Mt. Cucco is the main source of water in Holodrum; water flows from its peaks creating a river that stretches across the map, flowing into the southwestern Spool Swamp. Central Holodrum consists mostly of plains and forest, namely Holodrum Plain, Natzu Prairie, North Horon and the Woods of Winter to the east. The main human settlement, Horon Village, is located in the south central part of Holodrum. To the east of the village lies the sand-swept Samasa Desert, and to the west, the Western Coast and the Graveyard. Beyond these are the seas that comprise Holodrum's southern border. The Piratians navigate these waters and use them to travel between Holodrum and Labrynna.
The Four Seasons
- Main article: Rod of Seasons
The changing seasons have an active effect on Holodrum's environment. In winter, the leaves fall, lakes freeze and can be walked on; snowdrifts block certain paths while providing access to higher ledges. Flowers that were rock hard buds bloom in spring, when Blast Blooms can be used. In summer climbable vines grow on rock walls and in autumn Rock Mushrooms can be picked. Link will need to gather the power of the four seasons for the Rod of Seasons to fully navigate the land. Due to the disharmony caused by Onox, the four seasons occur simultaneously. In one region, there may be mounds of snow, while a short distance away the leaves are just starting to fall or the flowers are in full bloom. For the duration of the game, each region has a "default" season. This default season will automatically be present every time Link enters the region from another, and will remain until Link changes it or exits the area. Once Onox is defeated and stability returns to Holodrum, the entire land reverts to spring, the actual season.
- Main article: Subrosia
Beneath the land of Holodrum is a subterranean world named Subrosia where the Subrosians live unbeknownst to the people above and even the guardian spirit Maku Tree. Geographically, Subrosia is somewhat similar to Holodrum, with mountain ranges to the north and a southern coastline. The two worlds are connected by seven Portals scattered across the land. Subrosia becomes the new location of the Temple of Seasons, and so Link will have to travel to the underground world several times to obtain the Rod of Seasons and restore its power.
Holodrum is relatively uninhabited and has no unified form of governance. The majority of its human population resides in Horon Village under the protection of the Maku Tree. The village is led by Mayor Ruul. Another human settlement (possibly a colony of the previous) exists nestled into the mountains and lies directly beneath Mt. Cucco. Sunken City, true to its name, is flooded in Oracle of Seasons by great snow-melts from Mt. Cucco due to the disharmony of the seasons.
Aside from humans, the only sentient denizens of Holodrum—aside from the occasional Deku Scrub—are the Gorons, who live within the catacombs of Goron Mountain (with the exception of Biggoron who cannot fit inside and so perches atop the mountain). The settlement is relatively small in comparison to other Goron dwellings such as Goron City in Hyrule or Goron Village in Termina. In fact, these Gorons are a colony, descended from Gorons of the motherland, Rolling Ridge, in Labrynna. The colonization was led by the Goron Elder.
There are no Zoras in Holodrum. In a Linked Game, a Labrynnian Zora is sent by King Zora to search for a new domain for their race. He discovers there is no suitable location for the Zoras in Holodrum given the lack of large bodies of water.
- Link is sent to Holodrum via the powers of the Triforce. However, certain characters in Oracle of Seasons will travel between Holodrum and the sister-land of Labrynna via physical means; Princess Zelda (in a Linked Game only) and her nurse Impa even travel from Hyrule. Therefore, Labrynna, Holodrum, and Hyrule all exist within the same universe.
- When arriving from Labrynna in a Linked Game, the Piratians shipwreck on the coast of Samasa Desert in eastern Holodrum. Therefore, Labrynna is likely somewhere to the east of Holodrum.
- Holodrum bears many geographical similarities to the land of Hyrule in The Legend of Zelda. Oracle of Seasons was originally intended to be a remake of the original Legend of Zelda.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "As you know, if I imprison the Oracle of Seasons and bury the temple that houses the Season Spirits, the seasons of Holodrum will be cast into chaos, the bountiful gifts of nature will rot, and all living things perish!!!" — Onox (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Gurrrgh... No... It's too late. My orders were to capture Din and deliver the destructive power of a seasonless land to Twinrova. Now, as the Flame of Destruction, that power is set to devour this land!" — Onox (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Ahoy! It's been a long time! I didn't expect to meet you 'ere! We've come all the way back from Olodrum..." — Captain (Oracle of Ages)
- "We're off to Olodrum, the land o' seasons!" — Captain (Oracle of Ages)
- "Winter brings heavy snows and cold temperatures that can freeze lakes and rivers. In winter, some trees will be completely free of leaves." (Oracle of Seasons manual, pg. 32)
- "Spring is the season when snow and ice thaw and many flowers start to blossom. The buds of some flowers are hard as rocks until they blossom in spring." (Oracle of Seasons manual, pg. 32)
- "In summer, some lakes dry up under the hot sun. Many plats like vines grow particularly well in this season." (Oracle of Seasons manual, pg. 32)
- "Autumn leaves fall to the ground and cover holes. In this season, you can even pick mushrooms that are rock-hard the rest of they year." (Oracle of Seasons manual, pg. 32)
- "Oh, in my dreams, I saw the Temple of Seasons in a strange land I do not know." — Maku Tree (Oracle of Seasons)
- "There are seven warps that connect Holodrum with the undeground world of Subrosia." (The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Ages Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Power), pg. 12)
- "Our guardian, the Maku Tree, stands beyond the gate to the east of town." — Horon Villager (Oracle of Seasons)
- "With the seasons out of order, the mountain snows melted suddenly, flooding town. I can't even leave the house! It's terrible!" — Sunken City Resident (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Biggoron is so big he can't fit in our cave. But it's so cold outside... The poor Goron." — Goron (Oracle of Seasons)
- "My ancestor's diary says he came to Goron Mountain from Labrynna long ago. [...] Apparently, my ancestor was the Goron Elder." — Goron (Oracle of Seasons)
- "I am traveling the lands under King Zora's orders to find a new domain, but no place exceeds Labrynna's seas." — Zora (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Zelda has left the castle in Hyrule without any guard and is on her way here!" — Impa (Oracle of Seasons)
- "The Oracle games originally started life out as a remake of the original NES Legend of Zelda. Yoshiki Okamoto of Capcom approached Miyamoto with the idea and, after much back and forth, got the go-ahead." — 25 Things You Didn't Know About The Legend of Zelda, 1UP.com.