- This article is about the Elements in the Four Swords Series games. For the attributes in the Hyrule Warriors Series, see Element (Hyrule Warriors).
Left to right, up to down: Earth Element, Fire Element, Water Element, Wind Element
Four Swords Adventures
The Minish Cap
The Elements are the crystalline forms of four energies the world of The Legend of Zelda series depends on. They were first shown in Four Swords, but their significance was not revealed until the later games Four Swords Adventures and The Minish Cap. They are based on the classical elements.
Appearances and Quest Purpose
Four Swords Adventures
In Four Swords Adventures, the Four Sword Sanctuary lies in ruins and only a few remains lay on the Elements' pedestals. The Elements were introduced under the name "Royal Jewels". The Links need them in order to gain entrance to the Tower of Winds to save Princess Zelda. They were in the possession of the spirits of four Knights of Hyrule, who were cursed to roam as Stalfos in the Dark World until the Links freed them. By doing so, the Elements, which were also cursed and turned into gates to the Dark World, were cleansed.
The Minish Cap
In The Minish Cap, the importance of the elements was revealed. They are the source of power of the Four Sword, each element granting the wielder of the sword another "clone". In order to save Zelda and stop Vaati, Link had to find each element, scattered in four temples throughout Hyrule. Each time he found a new element, Link brought it to the Elemental Sanctuary to upgrade his sword.
List of Elements
The Earth Element is the first of the four Elements to be gathered in The Minish Cap. It is obtained in Deepwood Shrine in the Minish Woods, and is needed along with the Fire Element for Link to make the White Sword from Melari's Sword. In Four Swords Adventures, it was called the Purple Royal Jewel and was the fourth Element Link obtained.
The Fire Element is the second of the four Elements gathered in The Minish Cap, obtained in the Cave of Flames. This, along with the Earth Element, is needed for Link to create the White Sword from Melari's Sword. In Four Swords Adventures, it was called the Red Royal Jewel and was the third Element Link obtained.
The Water Element is the third of the four Elements collected by Link in The Minish Cap. It is found in the Temple of Droplets. When its power was infused into the White Sword, it becomes the Empowered White Sword. In Four Swords Adventures, it was called the Blue Royal Jewel and was the first Element Link obtained.
The Wind Element is the fourth and final of the four Elements gathered in The Minish Cap. Once infused with the empowered White Sword, it will become the legendary blade, the Four Sword. Although expected to be found in the Fortress of Winds after defeating Mazaal, it is not. The element is instead located in the Palace of Winds, among the Cloud Tops. In Four Swords Adventures, it was called the Green Royal Jewel and was the second Element Link obtained.
- The Fire Element bears some resemblance to the Goron's Ruby from Ocarina of Time.
- The Wind Element bears some resemblance to the Kokiri's Emerald from Ocarina of Time.
- The Water Element bears some resemblance to the symbol on Farore's Pearl from The Wind Waker and the Tune of Echoes from Oracle of Ages. Also it bears a resemblance to the three semicircle forms that make up the symbol on Nayru's Pearl and on the Tune of Ages from the same games respectively.
- Originally, the Wind Element was purple and the Earth Element was green in Four Swords. But in Four Swords Adventures and The Minish Cap they seem to have swapped color.
- The colors of the four Elements are the same as the colors worn by the four Links in Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures. The Links are translucent duplicates in The Minish Cap and appear identical to the primary Link.
- "Ah, yes. And you've come here now to have the blade reforged? If you want the blade reforged, you will need the four elements. These are the crystalline forms of the energies that fill our world. Only by infusing the blade with these energies can a new blade be forged." — Gentari (The Minish Cap)
- "Link... You've returned to where you started, the Four Sword Sanctuary. Now, give us the four royal jewels... Hear me, heavens... Hear me, earth... Heed the light of the royal jewels enshrined here, and restore to us... the Tower of Winds!!" — Shrine Maidens (Four Swords Adventures)
- "The jewel was also cursed, and it became a portal to the Dark World." — Blue Knight (Four Swords Adventures)