An overview of the Desert Colossus
Koume and Kotake
|Item(s)||Piece of Heart|
Requiem of Spirit
Gold Skulltula ×3
|Related place(s)||Haunted Wasteland|
In order to enter the massive desert, Link must first venture through the two trials of the Haunted Wasteland. The first trial is the River of Sand, forcing Link to use either the Hover Boots or the Longshot to safely get across the river of quicksand. After crossing the river, the young hero must then follow several flags to reach a stone structure that leads to the second trial: the Phantom Guide. Using the Lens of Truth while on top of the monument reveals a Poe that will guide Link into the Desert Colossus itself.
The colossus is a vast, secluded area situated at the rear of the Haunted Wasteland, far out of Hyrule's boundaries and even those of the Gerudo's Fortress, the nearest civilization to the region. It can only be accessed by those who possess the "eye of truth". The Desert Colossus, while a name for this isolated desert, is also the name of the artistic stone carving of a female "goddess" upon the face of the Spirit Temple, and the title of the similar Buddha-like female statue within the main room of the temple itself.
The Goddess of the Sand
| It has been suggested that the section of this page, Goddess of the Sand, should be made into its own page. Should the target page already exist, this content should be merged into it where appropriate. Discuss this on article's .
The most prominent feature of the desert is a a giant monument known both as the Desert Colossus and the Goddess of the Sand. Located inside the Goddess of the Sand is the Spirit Temple, which serves as the headquarters of Nabooru, the leader of the Gerudo and second-in-command to Ganondorf, in order to conduct experiments in brainwashing people.
The enormous statue is a vast carving into the face of the Spirit Temple believed to have been made by the Gerudo to represent their Goddess of the Sand. Before Ganondorf gained entrance to the Sacred Realm and took the Triforce of Power, this ancient stronghold was the secret hideout for him and his followers. During his seven year reign as ruler of Hyrule, the ancient building became the base of operations for his surrogate mothers, collectively known as Twinrova.
When Link first enters the Spirit Temple located inside the Goddess of the Sand itself, he finds that he cannot go in further than the first chamber since both the west and east entrances are impassable. Sheik appears before him as the young hero exits the temple and teaches him the Requiem of Spirit, the melody necessary to access the Desert Colossus as a child and successfully enter the first half of the Spirit Temple.
The Desert Colossus is home to an oasis located just west of the Spirit Temple. At first, the oasis is dried up, but rapidly fills after Link plays the Song of Storms on a small rock platform nearby. Fairies will also sprout up from the filled oasis, serving as a Fairy's Fountain of sorts where Link can return to heal his injuries at any time.
On the opposite side of the oasis is a Great Fairy's Fountain; however, its entrance is blocked off by a cracked wall. Link can reveal the fountain by simply bombing the wall; the Great Fairy inside will give Link Nayru's Love, a magical, impregnable barrier that can be activated about Link in times of heavy damage, battle, or dangerous situation.
- In Twilight Princess, the room that houses the Mirror of Twilight contains a statue that is very similar to the Desert Colossus, as does one of the larger, torch-based rooms within the Arbiter's Grounds dungeon itself.
- The Desert Colossus is based on giant statues of pharaohs, also called colossi, scattered about Egypt. This ties in with the area's Egyptian theme.
- The symbol on the entrance of the Spirit Temple shows a winged sphere with the emblem of the Triforce. This symbol is reminiscent of the Faravahar, a Zoroastrian symbol and one of many iconic symbols of Ancient Iran.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||巨大邪神像 (Kyodai Jashin Zou)||Giant Evil God Statue|
|SpanishEU||Desierto Coloso||Colossal Desert|
|SpanishLA|| Coloso del Desierto (OoT)
Coloso del desierto (OoT3D)
| Desert Colossus|
|French||Colosse du Désert||Desert Colossus|
|FrenchCA||Colosse du désert (OoT3D)||Desert colossus|
|Italian||Colosso del deserto|
- "The Desert Colossus's face...it sure looks evil!" — Navi (Ocarina of Time)
- "Are you going into the desert? I'll open this gate for you, but... You can't cross the desert unless you pass the two trials." — A Gerudo (Ocarina of Time)
- "The first trial is...the River of Sand! You can't walk across this river!" — A Gerudo (Ocarina of Time)
- "After you cross it, follow the flags we placed there. The second trial is...the Phantom Guide!" — A Gerudo (Ocarina of Time)
- "Those without eyes that can see the truth will only find themselves returning here." — A Gerudo (Ocarina of Time)
- "They said, "In order to cross the Haunted Wasteland, you'll need the 'eye of truth.' The Colossus is on the far side of the wasteland..."" — A Carpenter (Ocarina of Time)
- "One inside a goddess of the sand..." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
- "Nabooru is the second-in-command to the great Ganondorf, King of the Gerudo Thieves. Her headquarters are in the Spirit Temple, which is at the end of the desert." — A Gerudo (Ocarina of Time)
- "The leader of the gang of thieves is Nabooru. She is experimenting in brainwashing many people at the ruins in the desert." — A Carpenter (Ocarina of Time)
- "Ganondorf and his minions are using the Spirit Temple as a hideout." — Nabooru (Ocarina of Time)
|Regions in Ocarina of Time|
Click on a location