Concept art of the Yook
|Habitat(s)||Isle of Frost |
Temple of Ice
|Effective Weapons||Bombs |
Appearance and Features
The Yook appear to be based on the Yeti, something they share with the Zelda Universe Yeti found in Twilight Princess. They had bitter struggles with their enemies, the Anouki, but formed a peace agreement 100 years before the events in Phantom Hourglass. Now the Anouki inhabit the western side of the island, while the Yook live in the Great Ice Field on the eastern side of the island. They will attack anyone they consider a threat but possess the fatal flaw of sucking in large breaths of air. This allows one to throw a bomb in their mouths, which will temporarily stun them and make them vulnerable to attack. Some Yook have white hair, but others have black hair. White ones will defend more and attempt to inhale more often, but black ones swing with their club more and are generally better fighters.
During Phantom Hourglass, a black-haired Yook invades the western side of the island, kidnapping the Anouki Aroo and stealing his identity. This event re-sparks a strong hatred among the Anouki for the Yook. After Link defeats Gleeok in the Temple of Ice, the Yook claim that they were mind-controlled, and they become more peaceable from then on.
- In Japan, the Yook are known as the ユキザル (Yukizaru), which means "snow monkey". The brown individuals are called the アカザル (Akazaru), meaning "red monkey". Presumably, the English name "Yook" comes from the "yuk" part of "Yukizaru".
- "Nobody thought the trouble between the Anouki and Yook was a good thing. So we Anouki and those hairy Yook got together 100 years ago... and entered into a little "peace agreement."" — Somewhat Smart Anouki (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Speakin' metaphorically, we got our moist, frosted hunk of cake to live on. And we generously gave the Yook the dry, unfrosted morsel of cake to the east." — Somewhat Smart Anouki (Phantom Hourglass)
- "...Hey! How'd you figure it out? And I thought I had an amazing costume." — Yook (Phantom Hourglass)
- "The Yook tribe that lives over in the ice fields to the east are crazed animals! Those beasts are so crazy I don't even wanna get into it. THAT crazy." — Anouki (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Those Yook, they're hairy, crazed weirdos, I tell ya!" — Anouki (Phantom Hourglass)
- "OoooooOof... My head hurts. It's like my brain was being controlled by some evil force.. Now that I'm back to normal, I feel pretty guilty. This is sort of awkward... but, uh...sorry if I tried to eat you." — Yook (Phantom Hourglass)
- "We love the cold. It's one of the few advantages of being this hairy..." — Yook (Phantom Hourglass)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ユキザル (Yukizaru), アカザル (Akazaru)||Snow Monkey, Red Monkey|
|The Races of the Zelda Universe|
|Ancient Robot · Ancient Tribe · Anouki · Cobble · Dark Interlopers · Dark Tribe · Demon · Deity · Deku Scrub · Fairy · Garo · Gerudo · Goron · Ho Ho Tribe · Human · Hylian · Keaton · Kikwi · Kokiri · Korok · Lokomo · Minish · Mogma · Oocca · Parella · Rito · Salona · Sheikah · Skull Kid · Subrosian · Tokay · Twili · Watarara · Wind Tribe · Yamatami Tribe · Yeti · Yook · Zora · Zuna|