World of The Legend of Zelda
From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
The World of The Legend of Zelda is the world in which The Legend of Zelda series takes place. Some games, and the material released with them such as the manuals, evasively call this world Hyrule. Usually, though, this name is reserved specifically for the country of Hyrule.. Most people of this world simply refer to it as "the world" instead of by a proper name.  It was created by the Golden Goddesses
- Main article: Technology in The Legend of Zelda Universe
The technology level of Hyrule and other lands varies greatly between games. Most games feature a relatively primitive land with a few unusually advanced technologies amidst medieval-era technology, while some, most notably Spirit Tracks, feature technology exclusively from a single real-world era.
For the most part, Hyrule and the societies of other races are governed by monarchies; however, New Hyrule may be a parliamentary democracy like that of England, due to the existence of both a monarch and a chancellor. The king or queen of Hyrule is rarely seen, but Princess Zelda is always at the forefront, suggesting that she may be the acting monarch of Hyrule.
The world has the following known areas.
Hyrule is the kingdom where most of the games in the Zelda series take place, the sole exceptions being Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask, Oracles of Ages, Oracles of Seasons, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks. It is characterized by being surrounded by mountains. Prior to The Wind Waker, Old Hyrule was flooded and replaced by the Great Sea, upon which The Wind Waker takes place. Ganondorf attempts to unflood Hyrule through the use of the Triforce so that he can rule it, however, Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule gets to Triforce first and wishes for the destruction of Old Hyrule and hope for a better future instead. 
New Hyrule is the successor nation founded by Tetra and the Hero of Winds 100 years prior to Spirit Tracks, and is where it takes place. It is a place untouched by the flood that destroyed Old Hyrule. Years before, during the Spirit War, the Spirits of Good imprisoned Malladus within the land, using the Tower of Spirits as a lock and what became the Spirit Tracks as chains. It is divided into five regions; the Forest Realm, theSnow Realm, the Ocean Realm, the Fire Realm, and the Sand Realm. Each of these has its own distinct geography, race, and culture.
The Great Sea is an ocean that covers Old Hyrule, and borders the southern and western edge of New Hyrule, and possibly the same sea that borders Labrynna and Holodrum. Its various islands are made up of the tops of various high points of Old Hyrule.
The Sky is a place seen in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, featuring several floating islands, notably Skyloft. Skyloft was created by the Goddess Hylia years ago to save the Hylians of the surface world from the attack of Demise's forces.
World of the Ocean King
Koholint Island is an island which existed only in the mind of the Wind Fish. The Wind Fish drew Link into the dream island, then later released him into an ocean supposedly north of Old Hyrule. 
Labrynna is a nation far away from Old Hyrule. It is has large oceans and a vast mountain range to its west.
Holodrum is another nation that is located far from Old Hyrule. It has a large amount of flat land, with a large mountain range in the north.
Ordona is an independent province, found immediately south of Old Hyrule. Despite its proximity, it's not considered to be a part of Old Hyrule. However, the province provides its northern neighbor with many of its agricultural products, including pumpkins, cheese, and milk. Despite not being a part of Old Hyrule, Ordona Province is watched over by one of the four Light Spirits known as Ordona while the remaining Light Spirits, Faron, Eldin, and Lanayru, reside over the three provinces found in Old Hyrule.
Subrosia is a land located underground directly beneath Holodrum. Most of it is molten and filled with lava.
Termina is strongly indicated to be Old Hyrule in a parallel dimension. It has a large field in the center, a large ocean in the West, mountains to the North, a swamp to the South, and a desolate canyon to the East.
The Dark World is an inverse dimension used to seal the evil forces.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Three golden goddesses descended upon the chaos that was Hyrule..." — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "And, he wants to conquer Hyrule... no, the entire world!" — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "...And far bigger than Hyrule is the rest of the world the gods created." — Rusl (Twilight Princess)
- ↑ "Oh, no, I don't believe he's from Hyrule proper at all. No, my understanding is that he's from the small neighboring province of Ordona." — Shad (Twilight Princess)
- ↑ "Some time ago, before the King of Hyrule unified this country, there was a fierce war in our world." — Great Deku Tree (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "I do not have much time left. Fly, Navi, fly! The fate of the forest, nay, the world, depends upon thee!" — Great Deku Tree (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Nayru... Poured her wisdom onto the earth and gave the spirit of law to the world." — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Gods! Hear that which I desire! Expose this land to the rays of the sun once more! Let them burn forth! Give Hyrule to me!!!" — Ganondorf (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "He who touches it will have whatever he desires granted... That is what you said, is it not, Ganondorf? Gods of the Triforce! Hear that which I desire! Hope! I desire hope for these children! Give them a future! Wash away this ancient land of Hyrule! Let a ray of hope shine on the future of the world!!!" — Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "The door to your world is about to open." — Leaf (Phantom Hourglass)
- ↑ "We are inhabitants of this world We must return to the world of the Ocean King!" — Neri (Phantom Hourglass)