Wind Fish's Egg
|Theme Music||File:Wind Fish's Egg Theme.ogg|
The Wind Fish's Egg is the gigantic egg that sits on top of Mount Tamaranch in Link's Awakening, and is said to be where the Wind Fish sleeps. To get to the egg, Link must climb up a fleet of stairs near Goponga Swamp, but he won't be able to open the way inside until he has collected all eight of the Siren Instruments. The egg is white with several pink spots and can be seen from many parts on the island. The egg is commonly seen in a beam of light surrounded by a cloudy ring.
After completing Eagle Tower, Marin can be found on a broken bridge on Tal Tal Heights as a result of a kidnapping. After rescuing her, the Owl reveals that she attempted to awake the Wind Fish by singing the Ballad of the Wind Fish in front of the egg.
The Wind Fish's Egg is the final dungeon in Link's Awakening. Shortly after obtaining the final instrument, Link will be redirected to the egg. Link then plays the Ballad of the Wind Fish by using his ocarina along with the other instruments. When the song ends, part of the egg's shell suddenly cracks open and reveals an entrance, allowing Link to go inside. The design of the inside of the egg is very simple, lacking any decoration, making it rather mysterious.
The egg contains an endless maze similar to the recurring Lost Woods. To correctly navigate it, Link must follow a specific sequence of directions. However, this sequence is randomly set whenever a new game is made. To determine the correct sequence, Link must read a book titled "Dark Secrets And Mysteries Of Koholint" inside the library in Mabe Village. The book has very fine print that can only be read with the aid of a Magnifying Lens, so it is necessary to complete the game's Trading Sequence. However, it is still possible to successfully navigate the maze without reading the book or having the Magnifying Glass in Link's possession.
After successfully clearing the maze, Link will come upon a pit. By dropping down, he will encounter the final boss and the last of the Nightmares. Once they have been defeated, a stairway will appear and will lead Link to The Wind Fish's room, where the Owl and the Wind Fish await him.
- The concept for the world ending when a large egg breaks on top of a mountain, was an idea originally planned for A Link to the Past.
- "The giant egg on top Tamaranch Mountain? They say the Wind Fish is sleeping inside of it... Why? I don't know either..." — Boy from Mabe Village (Link's Awakening)
- "Somebody, HELP! Hey! Link! Some monsters put me up here! What should I do?! I'm afraid of heights!!" — Marin (Link's Awakening)
- "Hoot! That girl sang her song in front of the Egg! Her 'Ballad of the Wind Fish' is a song of awakening! Did she actually intend to wake the Wind Fish?!" — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "...EGG... The Egg on the mountain calls!" — (Link's Awakening)
- "When you play the eight Siren Instruments in front of the Egg he will awaken." — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "The time has come... The Wind Fish awaits... Enter the Egg... Hoot! Hoot!" — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "'BRRING! BRRING! This is Ulrira! You're lost in the Egg? Hmmmm. No sir, I can't help you on that one. How about the library? And hey, don't stop calling me because I didn't know one little answer! CLICK!'" — Ulrira (Link's Awakening)
- "Gasp! Wha-What's this! ... ... You can't read the tiny print without the aid of a magnifying glass..." — (Link's Awakening)
- "Round and round, the passageways of the Egg... < < ^ > > ^ < ^ ?? ...Hmmmmmm, this book reeks of secrets..." — "Dark Secrets And Mysteries Of Koholint" (Link's Awakening)
- "Round and round, the passageways of the Egg... < ^ > ^ < ^ > ^ ?? ...Hmmmmmm, this book reeks of secrets..." — "Dark Secrets And Mysteries Of Koholint" (Link's Awakening)
- "Round and round, the passageways of the Egg... > ^ ^ > ^ ^ > ^ ?? ...Hmmmmmm, this book reeks of secrets..." — "Dark Secrets And Mysteries Of Koholint" (Link's Awakening)
- "Round and round, the passageways of the Egg... > > > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ?? ...Hmmmmmm, this book reeks of secrets..." — "Dark Secrets And Mysteries Of Koholint" (Link's Awakening)
- "To tell you one of my personal experiences, I worked on the overall concept, storyline and structure of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and there were some ideas that didn't make it. Out of these ideas, there was one I really wanted to see in a game and we finally decided to use it as one of the basic concepts for the setting of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening a few years later (this was, in fact, that the world ends when a massive egg breaks on top of a mountain)." — Wii U Feature: Monkey Men: talking to Michael Kelbaugh and Kensuke Tanabe, Official Nintendo Magazine.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchEU||Oeuf Sacré||Sacred Egg|
|German||Windfisch Ei||Wind Fish Egg|