|Title||Subterranean Lava Dragon|
|Game(s)||Ocarina of Time|
|Other Media||Ocarina of Time manga|
Volvagia was an ancient dragon that lived in the depths of Death Mountain. It was said that a legendary Goron destroyed it with the use of the Megaton Hammer. By the time of Ocarina of Time, Ganondorf had revived the dragon to secure the Fire Temple from intrusion. He also fed Gorons to Volvagia to make an example to other races that might revolt against him. Incited by Darunia's son, Link sets on to destroy Volvagia, as if the dragon escaped from the temple, Hyrule would become a burning wasteland.
As Link steps onto the main octagonal platform of the boss room, the room shakes and the small rectangular platform behind him sinks into the lava. Then, out of one of the holes on the main platform emerges Volvagia. It flies around the room, whilst breathing out fire, before entering another hole.
The battle is designed akin to a Whac-A-Mole game, as there are nine holes, and Link must whack the dragon when it comes out using the Megaton Hammer. On the battlefield, there are pits of fire that Volvagia bursts out of to attack Link. Its head and upper body pops out from pits that are spitting fire. When appearig from a pit, Volvagia swings its fire hair around to cause damage. Once Volvagia comes out of one of the nine pits, it executes one of three attacks. It will either reveal only his upper half, come out entirely to give chase while breathing fire, or fly up to the room's ceiling to trigger a rockfall.
When Volvagia comes out only halfway, it does one of two things, depending where Link is at the moment. If Link is far away, it breathes fire. If Link is up close, it tries to slash him. Link must get close to him and strike Volvagia's head with the Megaton Hammer. Should Link miss the initial window before Volvagia's quick attack, another will present itself just after it is finished, just before retreating back under the arena. Once stunned however, Link can slash him with the Master Sword or hit him on the head again with the Hammer until Volvagia recedes back into its pit. Eventually, it leaves its pit and attacks Link out on the field, flying through the air. It can either cause rocks to fall down at Link, or it will follow him trying to burn him. Link can use the Bow at that point to fend Volvagia off, or he can go to the edge of the platform and hang there while the rocks fall down. Arrows can damage Volvagia, although they cannot defeat it. Its health can be brought down using only Arrows, but it will not be defeated until it is struck with the Megaton Hammer or the Sword while stunned.
After six slashes with the Master Sword while it is stunned, Volvagia will be defeated. Link witnesses the dragon's body burning into a skeleton and its skull crashing to the ground. It moves its jaw one last time and burns up, rewarding Link with a Heart Container. Darunia then awakens as a Sage and grants Link the Fire Medallion.
| It has been requested that image(s) be added to this page or section.
Please remember to remove this template once the image(s) have been added.
- Volvagia, along with King Dodongo, are the only the two bosses in Ocarina of Time to have a special battle theme.
- In the Nintendo 64 version of the game, Volvagia is referred once as male. This was fixed in Ocarina of Time 3D.
- An Arwing was used to test the flight patterns of Volvagia.
- Valoo from The Wind Waker is suggested to be Volvagia's descendant in Hyrule Historia.
- Volga, a villain in Hyrule Warriors, shares many similarities with Volvagia, including a similar name, both use the fire element, and Volga's helmet resembles Volvagia's skull. Additonally, Volga can take a dragon form which resembles Volvagia.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||灼熱穴居竜ヴァルバジア (Shakunetsu Kekkyo Ryū Varubajia)||Scorching Hot Cave-Dwelling Dragon: Volvagia|
|Spanish||Dragón de Lava Subterráneo: Volvagia||Underground Lava Dragon: Volvagia|
|Spanish||Dragón de lava subterráneo: Volvagia (OoT3D)||Underground Lava Dragon: Volvagia|
|French||Dragon des Profondeurs: Volcania||Dragon of the Deep: Volcania|
|French||Volcania: Dragon des profondeurs (OoT3D)||Volcania: Dragon of the Depths|
|Korean|| 작열혈거룡 볼보지아 (Jakryeol Hyeolgeoryong Bolbojia)
밸버지아 (Baelbeojia) (OoT3D)
|Scorching Cave-dwelling Dragon: Volvogia|
|Chinese||灼热穴居龙瓦尔巴基亚||Scorching Hot Cave Dwelling Dragon: Volvagia|
- "A long time ago there was an evil dragon named Volvagia living in this mountain. That dragon was very scary! He ate Gorons! Using a huge hammer, the hero of the Gorons... BOOOM! Destroyed it just like that. This is a myth from long ago, but it's true! I know, because my dad is a descendant of the hero!" — Link (Goron) (Ocarina of Time)
- "A long time ago there was an evil dragon named Volvagia living in this mountain. That dragon was very scary! It ate Gorons!" — Link (Goron) (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "Volvagia is a dragon, so it wriggles and undulates. I only gave Morita-san the dragon model parts, but he set it in motion immediately. It was mysterious how he could do that. [...] I couldn't help but ask how he did it. He said it was the same as the programming for Star Fox 64. There's this scene when another fighter aircraft is tailing Arwing and..." —Satoru Takizawa (Iwata Asks: Ocarina of Time 3D: Original Development Staff - Part 2)