|Notable Member(s)||Midna, Zant|
The Twili (pronounced /ˈtwaɪli/) are a race of beings who inhabit the Twilight Realm. Most of the inhabitants were turned into "monsters" known as Shadow Beasts or shadow messengers, under Zant's evil rule. Unlike the other Twili as shown in the game, Midna and Zant are the only Twili who retain their true appearance, although Midna was stuck in an impish form for much of the game. All other Twili that are briefly seen in Twilight Princess were quite different in appearance. This is a topic that has been debated among fans ever since; though the Twili look different compared to Midna and Zant, Midna mentioned herself that the Twili had been changed back to their original form.
The Twili are descendants of a tribe of sorcerers of unknown ethnicity referred to as Dark Interlopers, who eons ago were condemned to the Twilight Realm by the Golden Goddesses of Hyrule as punishment for their misgoverned attempt to use magic to claim the Triforce. Their "old magic" became known as the Fused Shadows, a powerful instrument. However, during their failed attempt to conquer the Sacred Realm, their Fused Shadow was split into four pieces and scattered throughout the two realms, The Twilight realm and Hyrule. The tribe lived and evolved in the Twilight Realm for centuries in isolation, mere shadows of what they once were, as over time they grew used to their surroundings and came to accept their fate. While some learned to love the beautiful peace that can be found only in Twilight, it drove other inhabitants mad.
After centuries of rule, Princess Midna became just one of many rulers in a long line of royalty, the Twilight Princess. It was around this time that a rebel force grew from within the Twilight, spearheaded by Zant. It is revealed that Zant believed that he was next to become Twilight Ruler, but the position was passed over. In a terrible fit of rage, he used the power of his false-god Ganondorf to transform most of the inhabitants of Twilight into monsters, and as a form of humiliation, transformed Midna into an imp creature. Midna's only hope was to find the magic of her ancestors, the Fused Shadows, and use it against Zant to save the realm and her people.
The Twili have strange glowing markings on their skin, which is pale bluish-gray in color partly covered by black. This complexion may be due to lack of full light as the Twili have changed from what they were when they were ejected from the "World of Light". They also have oval eyes that are normally red, yellow, or orange. They are (usually) quite thin as well as much taller than Hylians. Midna stood no less than than a full head above Link.
- While the Twili and their related artifacts tend to have structured, inorganic patterns, the Spirits of Light and Light objects are covered in curved and flowing markings. This may serve as further distinction between the two opposing sides in Twilight Princess.
- In the Japanese version of the game, Zant says that the curse placed on Midna affected not only her, but the entire Twili as well. This may explain the Twili's peculiar shapes, and that all of the Twili may have regained more human-like forms after Ganondorf's defeat similarly to Midna.
- "It was a peaceful place...until Zant took control of the Twilight Realm and transformed all of the Twili into shadow beasts." — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- "Among those living in the light, interlopers who excelled at magic appeared. Wielding powerful sorcery, they tried to establish dominion over the Sacred Realm." — Lanayru (Twilight Princess)
- "What do you think happened to the magic wielders who tried to rule the Sacred Realm? They were banished. They were chased across the sacred lands of Hyrule and driven into another realm by the goddesses." — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- "Wielding powerful sorcery, they tried to establish dominion over the Sacred Realm. It was then that the goddesses ordered us three light spirits to intervene. We sealed away the great magic those individuals had mastered. You know this magic… It is the dark power you seek…the Fused Shadow." — Lanayru (Twilight Princess)
- "In the shadows we regressed, so much so that we soon knew neither anger nor hatred...nor even the faintest bloom of desire." — Zant (Twilight Princess)
- "Because I believed I would be the next to rule our people! THAT is why! But would they acknowledge me as their king? No!" — Zant (Twilight Princess)
- "Gwah hah hah! I was summoned from the Dark Realm by Twinrova. See my true form! Feel the might of a dark dragon!" — Onox (Oracle of Seasons)
- "By extending the reach of the Dark Realm, Veran has spread sorrow across the land. Soon, the Flame of Sorrow will ignite!" — Twinrova (Oracle of Ages)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||影の一族 (Kage no Ichizoku)||Shadow Clan|
|Italian||Stirpe dell'ombra||Shadow race|
|The Races of the Zelda Universe|
|Ancient Robot · Ancient Tribe · Anouki · Cobble · Dark Interlopers · Dark Tribe · Demon · Deity · Deku Scrub · Fairy · Garo · Gerudo · Goron · Ho Ho Tribe · Human · Hylian · Keaton · Kikwi · Kokiri · Korok · Lokomo · Minish · Mogma · Oocca · Parella · Rito · Salona · Sheikah · Skull Kid · Subrosian · Tokay · Twili · Watarara · Wind Tribe · Yamatami Tribe · Yeti · Yook · Zora · Zuna|