Three Heart Challenge
The Three Heart Challenge is an optional challenge where a game in The Legend of Zelda series is completed without obtaining or forming a Heart Container, keeping only the three starting Heart Containers throughout the game.
Restrictions and Variations
It is possible to perform the Three Heart Challenge in most Zelda games, with only a few exceptions:
- The Adventure of Link, where the game starts with four life bars.
- A Link to the Past, where the Pendants and Crystals will only appear after collecting the Heart Container.
- Link's Awakening, where the boss room door leading to the Instrument of the Sirens will only open after collecting the Heart Container.
- Skyward Sword, where the game starts with six Heart Containers. However, runs of this game may be considered a "Six Heart Challenge."
- Hyrule Warriors, where the game starts with more Heart Containers and where hearts will increase over time as Warriors level up.
The Three Heart Challenge can be further expanded into a Low% Three Heart Challenge, where optional items must be avoided, including upgrades, and collecting Potions, Fairies, and any other health recovering items.