Human (Oracle of Seasons)
|First appearance||Ocarina of Time|
|Latest appearance||A Link Between Worlds|
|Era|| Force Era|
Era of the Hero of Time
Era of Light and Dark
Era of Shadow
|Counterpart(s)|| Tarin (Koholint Island)|
Mr. Barten (Termina)
Talon is a simple man who is in charge of Lon Lon Ranch. Although he keeps the ranch in good condition, he is a very heavy and long sleeper. Sometimes it even takes a cucco to his ear to wake him up. He has a daughter, named Malon, to whom he entrusts his finest horse, Epona.
Appearances and Biography
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Talon appears many times during Link's adventure. He starts off as his usual lazy self, and after Ingo seizes his ranch he becomes even worse, sleeping all day. When he regains control of his ranch, he is always seen outside (in contrast to earlier in Link's quest when Link was a child and Talon was always found inside). He now pledges to "turn over a new leaf".
When Link is a child, Talon allows Link to play a mini-game in which Talon would toss three special Cuccos into a crowd of normal Cuccos and asks Link to find those specific three. The prize is a bottle full of Lon Lon Milk. After Link wins the game, Talon will jokingly ask Link if he wants to marry Malon.
Oracle of Seasons
In Oracle of Seasons, Talon and Malon live in a chicken farm north of Horon Village. As part of the trading sequence, Link must wake up Talon sleeping on Mt. Cucco with the megaphone. Talon gives Link a mushroom as thanks.
Four Sword Adventures
Talon appears in the Near the Fields area in Four Swords Adventures. Talon's role, as expected, is minimal. After escorting Malon safely home, Talon tells of recent troubles in the area and bemoans the only safe thing for them to do is stay in the house all the time. As gratitude, he will allow the Links to use horses to traverse the area past their house.
The Minish Cap
In The Minish Cap, Talon lives in his ranch with Malon. The first time Link sees him, he is wandering around the front of his house at Lon Lon Ranch, as he has lost his key and can't get in. Link must find the key and give it to Talon. As a reward, Talon will allow Link to go through his house and seek passage into Lake Hylia.
A Link Between Worlds
In an Ocarina of Time developer's interview posted on Shigesato Itoi's website, 1101.com, script writer Toru Osawa says that Talon and Malon in Ocarina of Time are based on Tarin and Marin in Link's Awakening and it is intended that players who have played the previous game will recognize the reference.
- Talon, along with his employee Ingo, seem based off of Mario and Luigi respectively from the Super Mario Bros. series. In Oracle of Seasons, Talon's hat has Mario's "M" logo on it. Additionally, there is a Bowser emblem on Talon's scarf, which is also present on Malon.
- Talon's wife is never seen in the series, although he does mention her in Ocarina of Time when Link talks to him while wearing either the Gerudo Mask or Goron Mask.
Link receives the Mushroom from Talon in Oracle of Seasons
- "Yep, I'm Talon, the owner of Lon Lon Ranch. I went to the castle to deliver some milk, but I sat down here to rest, and I guess I fell asleep..." — Talon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Would you mind finding my dad? He must have fallen asleep somewhere around the castle. What a thing for an adult to do!" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "My name is Malon! My dad owns Lon Lon Ranch!" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Look at the bearded man sleeping over there. I bet even someone like him has had his share of troubles in the past..." — Woman in Kakariko Village (Ocarina of Time)
- "I'm gonna turn over a new leaf and work real hard from now on." — Talon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Well how about a little game? These three Cuccos I have here are special Super Cuccos! I'm going to throw these Cuccos into that there gaggle of normal Cuccos. If you can pick out these three special birds from among the normal Cuccos within the time limit, I'll give you something good." — Talon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh...! I'm proud to present to you a sample of our very own Lon Lon Milk. You'll be energized the moment you drink it! After you drink it, you can bring back the bottle and buy a refill, anytime you want!" — Talon (Ocarina of Time)
- "How'd you like to marry Malon? Haw haw! I was just kidding! Just kidding! I think you're a little young for that, aren't you?" — Talon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Original Japanese: 「夢を見る島」（ＧＢ版）のときに出てきた、 タリンとマリンという父親と女の子の、 元になる親子も今回登場しますし、 前からゼルダシリーズをやってくれているひとに わかってもらえるといいなあ、と思っています。 これってひょっとしたら、あのときのあれかなって、 考えてもらえたら、ぼくらも嬉しい。 （スクリプトディレクター・大澤 徹さん） English translation by Glitterberri: A father and daughter named Marin and Tarin that were introduced in Link’s Awakening for GameBoy also appeared in this Zelda game. We’re hoping that people who’ve played the Zelda series from the very beginning will recognize them. If you wonder “is this a reference to then?” we’ll be happy." —Toru Osawa (Ocarina of Time Developers Interview (Japanese))
- "Hey, that reminds me of my wife... On second thought, it doesn't... It doesn't look like her at all!" — Talon (Ocarina of Time)
|Names in Other Regions|