From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
Official artwork of Tael
Prior to the events of Majora's Mask, Tatl and Tael were flying around Termina Field looking for shelter on a stormy day, when suddenly they find a lonely Skull Kid under a log, shivering. Tael and her brother soon become friends with him, and when the Skull Kid began to show his mischievous side, the two fairies decided to follow through it: at the beginning of Majora's Mask, they accompany the Skull Kid to the Lost Woods, where the Tael and Tatl startle Link's horse, causing the young hero to fall off unconscious while the Skull Kid steals Link's ocarina. When Link wakes up, Tael escapes with the Skull Kid and Tatl as they are riding away on Epona. After Link is transformed into a Deku Scrub, Tatl gets in his away to impede him from going after the Skull Kid, which causes for her to get separated from both the Skull Kid and Tael.
It is through Tael that Link and Tatl discover that the Four Giants are needed to stop the Skull Kid and Termina from its impending doom. The Skull Kid, however, smacks Tael for speaking out of line, angering Tatl. After Link calls upon the Four Giants using the "Oath to Order", Tael and his sister are finally reunited until Majora's Mask detaches itself from the Skull Kid and travels to the inside of the moon to continue its path of destruction, inciting Link the need to go after it. In an act of bravery, Tael decides to accompany the young hero to the moon since, he says, he does not always want to be running away. Tael is stopped by Tatl, who goes in his stead.
In the end, Link and Tatl successfully free the Skull Kid from the influence of Majora's Mask, allowing the two sibling fairies to be friends with the Skull Kid again. After Tatl says her goodbyes to Link, Tael can be last seen comforting his sister.
Unlike his sister, Tael has a more innocent and timid personality, unable to stand up to the Skull Kid's constant abuse. Tael also understands better than Tatl all the suffering that the Skull Kid has gone through and why he does such terrible things. While Tatl blames Skull Kid's weak will and a his having no strength of heart for his actions, Tael realizes that it was Majora's Mask that made their friend act that way.
- His name and the name of his sister are puns off the word "tattletale."
- Tael's dark color scheme is unique for a fairy, most of which give off white or gently hued light, and is the only one in the entire series to appear this way, possibly because he is male. This coloration seems deliberately in contrast with the light color scheme of his sister, Tatl.
- In early versions of the game, Tael was originally white with a purple glow around him.
- Aside from Leaf from Phantom Hourglass, Tael is the only known male fairy in the Zelda series.
- ↑ "You! If I wasn't dealing with you, I wouldn't have gotten separated from my brother!" — Tatl (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "Swamp. Mountain. Ocean. Canyon. Hurry...The four who are there... Bring them here..." — Tael (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "Nooo!! What are you doing to my brother? Skull Kid, do you still think you're our friend after that?!!?" — Tatl (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "I'll go!!! ...I don't always want to be running away! If only I had been stronger, the Skull Kid wouldn't have..." — Tael (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "I understand. I'll go!" — Tatl (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "You hit my brother over and over! I'll never forgive you!!" — Tatl (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "It's 'cause he doesn't know his place! On top of having a weak will and no strength of heart... he's a fool!" — Tatl (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "Wait...Sis...Don't... Don't be so hard on the Skull Kid. ... He was lonely... ...the Skull Kid. ... The power of the mask made him do it. It was too much for the Skull Kid to handle." — Tael (Majora's Mask)
|Names in Other Regions|