See Help:Images for assistance. Please remember to remove this template once the image(s) have been added.
Soft soil found in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask
|Game(s)|| Ocarina of Time|
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
The Wind Waker
|Use(s)||Plant seeds and dig for treasure|
|Comparable Object(s)|| Sand|
Soil is a soft spot in the terrain that Link use for a variety of tasks. It is most commonly used for planting seeds and beans, but can also contain treasures or secret passages.
Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask
Plots of soft soil are scattered around Hyrule and Termina. Link can plant Magic Beans in these plots and use them to reach otherwise inaccessible areas when they grow. Gold Skulltulas love the soft soil and live in it. Link can make these Skulltulas come out by bottling some bugs and releasing them next to the soft soil. This can be done even after a bean is planted.
Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons
In Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons, Link can plant a Gasha Seed in soil. The seed will eventually sprout into a Gasha Tree and produce Gasha Nuts. According to Bipin, harder to find soils produce rarer Gasha Nut treasures. Link can detect hidden soil suitable for planting by equipping the Discovery Ring.
The Wind Waker
Two different types of soil can be found in The Wind Waker. The first of these is found scattered on Outset Island and is black in color. If Link throws All-Purpose Bait on it while the giant pig is near, the pig will dig up the soil. Good treasures can be found in this way. The second type of soil appears as brown mounds in the Wind Temple. Makar can plant seeds in them which instantly grow into small trees. Link can Hookshot these trees to access otherwise unreachable areas. Planting seeds can also open doors or reveal Treasure Chests.
Wolf Link can detect soft soil with his senses in Twilight Princess. Digging in these spots usually yields Rupees and Hearts, but he can sometimes gain access to vast underground chambers or dig to the other side of a wall.
In Skyward Sword there are three types of soil. The first and most common type often yields Rupees, Hearts, Treasures or even pressured steam which Link with his Sailcloth can use to reach otherwise unreachable areas. To dig into these, the Digging Mitts are required. The second kind of soil requires the Mogma Mitts, the upgraded version of the Digging Mitts, to be dug into and take Link underground. Underground, Link can turn on switches, solve puzzles and access otherwise unreachable areas. Moldorms can be found underground as well.
Planting the Life Tree Seedling
When the dragon god of the Ancient Robots became ill, they planted a seedling of the Tree of Life to collect its fruit that cures any ailment. However the soil of Lanayru weren't nutrient enough for it to grow, and it withered before reaching maturity. And the dragon died of his illness. Link needs to switch a Timeshift Stone, uproot the seedling and plant it in the Temple of Hylia in a distant past of the Sealed Temple. When Link travels back to the present, he can harvest the fruit.
This kind of soil is the third and final type of soil.
- "You got Magic Beans! Find a patch of soft soil, then press (C) to plant them in it. Who knows what will sprout up!" — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "If you want to plant beans, go around and look for soft soil." — Bean Seller (Ocarina of Time)
- "[K]eep in mind that [Gold Skulltulas] love soft soil..." — Man in the House of Skulltula (Ocarina of Time)
- "You got a Gasha Seed! Plant it in soft soil!" — N/A (Oracle series)
- "On Outset Island, buried beneath the black soil...there's some serious treasure." — Fishman (The Wind Waker)
- "But I can at least plant a tree here in this soft soil... If you conduct me, I can use [A] to sow seeds." — Makar (The Wind Waker)
- "The ground is soft from the rain, so I wonder if you can dig your way in under the wall, meow?" — Cat in Southern Castle Town (Twilight Princess)
- "The robots were worried about me, so they planted a seedling from the Tree of Life. The fruit of this tree is said to be able to cure any illness... They planted the seedling over there. Cough... But it just won't grow. Cough... I think this is the end for me." — Lanayru (Skyward Sword)
- "This area is only good for growing grass and flowers, zrrt. If we can't find a way to grow the seedling quickly... Our master will not make it, bzzt..." — Ancient Robot (Skyward Sword)
- "The Lanayru area is terrible for growing trees, zrrt. Do you know of a place where trees grow quickly, vweep?" — Ancient Robot (Skyward Sword)
- "I don't think there's any way that seedling would ever mature if you planted it in the Lanayru area, vrrm..." — Ancient Robot (Skyward Sword)
- "You say you will find a place where the seedling will grow quickly for me? That would be a great help... All I would need to do is eat one piece of fruit from the Tree of Life to recover my full strength. But that seedling cannot be planted just anywhere. Look for a place with very rich soil." — Lanayru (Skyward Sword)
- "Check it out. Zelda and Grannie have brought life to the land here. I bet even the weakest sapling could grow into a beast of a tree in soil like this. It'd brighten this place up a little too. I mean, sure, it'd take a few years for it to grow, but as far as I'm concerned, I got nothing but time. It's wierd to say out loud, but that's just how I feel right now." — Groose (Skyward Sword)