|Game(s)||The Wind Waker|
|Main Prize||Piece of Heart, Treasure Charts|
Sinking Ships is a minigame which appears in the The Wind Waker.
The game is similar to Battleship, as Link must find and destroy three squids that are randomly hidden somewhere on the 8×8 playing grid, with the assortment of "bombs" he is given. The squids are two, three or four squares in length, and only reveal their locations upon "bombing" the squares in which they are hidden. To increase the difficultly of this game, Link doesn’t place his own squids, instead he must locate the computer-placed squids within 24 shots. If Link uses all 24 "bombs" and is unable to fully locate all three squids, he wins nothing and must try the game over in order to vie for a prize.
The first time Link reveals all 3 squids, he is rewarded with a Piece of Heart. A second victory under the same rules will yield Link Treasure Chart No. 7, and every one after that will provide a continuous supply of Purple Rupees, worth 50 regular Rupees. However, if Link can locate all three squids using 20 shots or less, he will be rewarded Treasure Chart No. 23. After Link has obtained both treasure charts, he will receive an Orange Rupee for every time he beats his personal record.
- The Sinking Ships mini-game is the first occurrence of a Battleship-like game appearing in the Zelda series.
- Salvatore, the host of this mini-game, also runs the Barrel Shoot mini-game on Spectacle Isle, providing a similar pirate-like cosplay before the mini-game itself.
- "Zere are three squid groups: a large one, a medium one, und a small one!" — Salvatore (The Wind Waker)
- "But be varned...you haff only 24 cannonballs zat you can fire." — Salvatore (The Wind Waker)
- "To destroy zee marauding squid pods, you must score four direct hits on zee large, three on zee medium, und two on zee small!" — Salvatore (The Wind Waker)
- "Oh, bad news, uh...sailor. The enemies... have retreated. Or something..." — Salvatore (The Wind Waker)
- "Hoorayyy! Yayyy! Yayyy! Oh, thank you, Mr. Sailor! Please take this Piece of Heart as a sign of our gratitude. You are soooooo GREAT!" — Salvatore (The Wind Waker)
- "Hoorayyy! Yayyy! Yayyy! Oh, thank you so much, Mr. Sailor! This is our thanks to you! It's been passed down on our island for many years, so don't tell the island elder, OK? Here... Please accept this Treasure Chart!" — Salvatore (The Wind Waker)
- "Yayyy! Yayyy! Yayyy! Oh, thank you, Mr. Sailor! Please accept all of our combined allowances! Take these 50 Rupees as your reward! Hooray for money!" — Salvatore (The Wind Waker)
- "Whoa. Wait a sec. 20 Cannonballs used in Zee Fleet?! Hey, that's a new record... So, uh, you get this, too." — Salvatore (The Wind Waker)