From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
The Silver Scale from Ocarina of Time
|Game(s)|| Ocarina of Time|
Oracle of Ages
|Use(s)||Used for Swimming|
|Comparable Item(s)|| Zora's Flippers|
Water Dragon's Scale
Zora Tunic and Armor
Zora Scales are fragments of the skins of Zoras. They seem to hold the aquatic identity of the Zoras, as a non-Zora in the possession of one finds themselves better adapted to water.
Appearances, Locations and Uses
Ocarina of Time
Ocarina of Time features both the Silver Scale and the Golden Scale. While the Silver Scale is stated to be a Zora Scale, the Golden Scale is not and can only be assumed to be one based on its many similarities to the Silver Scale.
Link's own abilities allow him to swim downwards for no more than three seconds, or in distance, three meters. When he reaches Zora's Domain, he can participate in a diving game. If the young hero collects all of the blue Rupees underwater before time runs out, he will be rewarded with the Silver Scale, which appropriately enhances Link's diving capabilities to up to 6 meters.
The Golden Scale is an enhanced version of the Silver Scale. The time and depth of a dive that can be achieved with the Golden Scale is up to nine meters. Unlike obtaining the Silver Scale, gaining the Golden Scale is optional, although it is necessary to obtain a Piece of Heart in the Lakeside Laboratory.
To obtain the Golden Scale, Link must catch a fish that breaks the current record by at least 4 pounds at the Fishing Pond in Lake Hylia during the future years. That is, if the record to beat is 9 pounds as Adult Link, the young hero only needs to catch a 13 pounder to obtain the Scale; if the record is 11 pounds, then a 15 pound fish is necessary to receive the award. Once the Golden Scale has been obtained, the Sinking Lure will become available to find at the Fishing Pond as Adult Link.
It is important to note that the Golden Scale is not confirmed as a Zora Scale.
Oracle of Ages
In Oracle of Ages, the Zora Scale is given to Link by a Zora after Link defeats Plasmarine and gets the Rolling Sea from Jabu-Jabu's Belly. The Zora Scale is required to bypass the Zora guarding the way to the Sea of Storms. On the Sea of Storms, Link will find the stranded Piratians. The Zora Scale, which is a charm capable of calming the seas, is given to the Captain of the Piratians, so that they can escape the Sea of Storms. As thanks, Link receives the Tokay Eyeball, which is required to access the Ancient Tomb.
In Twilight Princess, the Zora Armor is made of Zora scales. It was created by King Zora himself for the destined Hero. Interestingly, the Zora Armor makes its wearer vulnerable to fire and ice, weaknesses Majora's Mask's Zora Mask established to belong to the Zora race. 
In Phantom Hourglass, the Zora Scales are among the treasures that can be sold on Mercay Island to the Teller of Treasures for a fixed, random amount of Rupees. It is also a highly valued commodity among members of the Ho Ho Tribe.
- ↑ "What a graceful dive! Now, please take this! This is a "scale" of our kind. With this, you can dive much deeper under the water." — Zora at waterfall (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "You got the Silver Scale! Jump into the water and press (A). You can dive deeper than you could before." — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "You got the Golden Scale! Jump into the water and press (A). Now you can dive much deeper than you could before!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "You have done so much for us! Our seas are clean and all is well! I offer you our symbol of heroism--the Zora Scale!" — Zora (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "The seas beyond here swallow up all who venture into them--the Sea of Storms! I can't allow a child like you to pass! The Zora Scale? So you're Link! You may pass!" — Zora Guard (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "Har! Ye've got the Zora's Scale sea charm! Aye, that could calm this Sea o' Storms!" — Captain (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "Thank'ee! Now we can escape these seas!" — Captain (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "Take this as a sign o' me thanks! It's the jewel called the Tokay Eyeball! It's said to be the thing that opens the way to the ancient tomb." — Captain (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "Garments made of Zora scales. They let you breathe and swim in water but are weak against fire and ice." — N/A (Twilight Princess)
- ↑ "During his lifetime, my husband created garments specifically for the chosen hero, garments that house the abilities of the Zora." — Rutela (Twilight Princess)
- ↑ "It's said that a Zora dropped this rare and sparkling scale!" — N/A (Phantom Hourglass)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese|| ゾーラのうろこ (Zōra no Uroko)
銀のウロコ (Gin no Uroko)
金のウロコ (Kin no Uroko)
| Zora Scale|
|Spanish||Escama de Zora||Zora Scale|
| Escama de Zora
Escama de plata
Escama de oro
| Zora Scale|
|French|| Écaille des Zora
|French|| Écaille de Zora
|German||Zora-Schuppe,Silberne Schuppe,Goldene Schuppe|
|Italian|| Squama di Zora
| Zora Scale|