From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
|Non-canon Appearances||Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
|Habitat(s)||Ordon Spring, Faron Spring, Faron Woods, Sacred Grove, Hyrule Field, Eldin Spring, Death Mountain, Zora's Domain, Upper Zora's River, Castle Town, Lake Hylia, Gerudo Mesa, Mirror Chamber, Snowpeak Top, Palace of Twilight|
|Effective Weapons||Any, Wolf Link and Great Spin being the most effective|
Shadow Beasts, also referred to as Shadow Beings, Black Beasts, or Twilit Messengers, are the muscle behind Zant's twilight invasion in Twilight Princess.
Characteristics and Weaknesses
The Shadow Beasts are dark, willowy beings that drop out of Portals all across Hyrule and in the Twilight Realm, always in packs of three or more. They are Twili that have been corrupted and turned into monsters by Zant. Shadow Beasts are strong enough that only a few were needed to overrun and defeat the many Hylian Soldiers guarding Princess Zelda, despite the fact that the latter had advantageous numbers. It is also hinted by Barnes that they are not only composed of transformed Twilis, but also have the ability to turn Humans into their kind, meaning that they are not restricted to one species.
If there is ever only one standing Shadow Beast during a group battle, it will utter an unearthly howl that rejuvenates the others. Thus, at least the last two must be killed at the same time in order to truly defeat a pack. Once there are only a few left, most area attacks can finish them off, though some will not function correctly, such as the Jump Strike or the Mortal Draw.
Different Shadow Beasts are seen in the cutscene which shows Zant taking Hyrule Castle and Midna's history of the Twili. These are larger than the normal ones, and bear a different head-dressing; a round silver plate with a special marking on them. However, these monsters are never seen during actual gameplay, so their status and any exclusive powers remain a mystery. One possible theory is that they are a sort of honorguard for Zant, as they always appear near him, generally in flanking positions.
- An early beta version of Twilight Princess included what may have been a Shadow Beast in the very early stages of development.
- When Link first fights multiple Shadow Beasts, if the spin attack is used on the last two, one will still survive, likely so Midna can teach Link the energy field attack.
- The official Japanese website for Twilight Princess calls them "Shadow Assassins".
- Their Japanese name (Kage no Shisha) and ability to revive fallen Shadow Beasts may be a reference to the phrase 死者を生かす (Shishawoikasu), meaning "to raise the dead".
- The Shadow Beasts' hands resemble that of the enemy Zant's Hand in terms of the middle two fingers are shorter.
Image from the official Twilight Princess website
Possible beta Shadow Beast
Unseen64, ZeldaWiki's affiliate in analysis, interpretation, documentation, and discussion of known beta content.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "It was a peaceful place... until Zant took control of the Twilight Realm and transformed all of the Twili into shadow beasts." — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- ↑ "They sure didn't seem impressed by my bombs! How long do you think we can hold this sanctuary against beasts that strong, huh? Once they attack, it's OVER! Remember the lady from the general store? Just one of those things attacked her, and a whole gang from town went to save her! And what happened? She was already gone, and there were TWO monsters waitin'! ...You connectin' the dots? That means that if we get attacked by them, then we'll be..." — Barnes (Twilight Princess)
- ↑ "If you leave the last one alive, it's just going to use that shriek to bring the others back." — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- ↑ "No need to take these little pests on one at a time, right? You can take them all at once! So... You can handle this by yourself, can't you?" — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- ↑ "You just hold down B and I'll expand an energy field. Enclose all of your enemies within it and release the button!" — Midna (Twilight Princess)
Dämon der Finsternis
| Names in Other Regions
|| 影の使者 (Kage no Shisha)
|| Assassin des ombres
|| Dämon der Finsternis
|| Mostro dell'ombra