From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
|Miss Fi! I'm heeeeere, bzzzrt! Oh, this is another heavy load... But don't worry! I can carry anything!|
Link first encounters Scrapper in the Skyloft Bazaar in Gondo's stall, but it is broken down. Gondo says that his grandfather owned and tinkered with the Ancient Robot and that it was once used to pick up and move items anywhere, but that it was no longer functional. Gondo's grandfather somehow knew that Scrapper could be repaired using an Ancient Flower, but Gondo had never seen one himself. Link can only activate him through a series of events after he has found out that the pinwheel for a windmill on Skyloft is missing.
Gondo is able to repair Scrapper immediately after receiving the flower. Scrapper does not seem to like Link because "serving children is very low in [his] task priority," and refuses to help him. His mind is changes, however, when he sees Fi and is infatuated by her. He claims he will do anything to please Fi and agrees to help Link because she is with him. He calls Fi "Mistress Fi" and Link "Master Shortpants." He also seems to be irritated with Link for carrying Fi around, and isn't shy about expressing his dislike for him.
Scrapper can help Link carry large and heavy objects through the Sky and over the Surface. Scrapper's aid as a means of transport is required to complete many of the sidequests in Skyward Sword.
Involvement in the main quest
Retrieving the pinwheel
Once Scrapper is repaired, his first task is to aid Link in recovering the pinwheel that broke loose from one of Skyloft's windmills and fell to the Surface. The pinwheel is located on the slopes of Eldin Volcano and can be seen much earlier in the adventure, although Link cannot carry it himself. Once the pinwheel is in place, the windmill can be positioned, along with the other windmill, to activate Skyloft's Light Tower and open the way to the Isle of Songs.
The path to the Fire Sanctuary is blocked by a series of fire barriers that must be dispelled by filling receptacles resembling frogs' faces with water. The first two can be passed with a single Bottle's worth of water, but the third requires a much larger amount of water than Link can possibly carry, or that can be found in a single location anywhere on Eldin Volcano. At Fi's suggestion, Link must travel to Lake Floria and borrow the water basin that Faron was recuperating in earlier. Once Faron has agreed to lend Link the basin, Scrapper carries it, filled with water, although he complains that it is extremely heavy. Once Link and company reach the break in the clouds over Eldin Volcano, though, Scrapper immediately heads for what he assumes is the destination, eager to be rid of the weight. Unfortunately for Link, this happens to be the foot of the mountain. Scrapper refuses to carry the basin back up into the sky, so Link must escort him all the way up to the Fire Sanctuary entrance, defending him from monsters, whose presence on the mountain is increased during this sequence. This includes a large number of Bokoblin archers who can attack Scrapper from a significant distance away. If Scrapper takes too much damage, the sequence must be redone from the beginning. Once the company reach the entrance to the Fire Sanctuary, Scrapper hoists the basin over the carved frog mouth and simply drops it, making an immense crashing sound but also spilling in enough water to dispel the fire barrier and make the dungeon accessible.
Scrapper's final task in the main quest is to carry a massive pumpkin-shaped tureen of Pumpkin Soup, courtesy of the Lumpy Pumpkin. Levias is very fond of their soup, and given his size a massive quantity is needed. Bringing this soup to a small island in the Thunderhead with a rainbow over it summons Levias. Fortunately, Link does not need to protect Scrapper from enemies this time, nor does he need to worry about the soup becoming cold.
Dodoh's Party Wheel
Dodoh is unable to open Fun Fun Island to the public because an essential tool, his Party Wheel, has fallen below the clouds. The Party Wheel is located in Lanayru Desert, on a ledge. Returning the Wheel to Dodoh earns Link five Gratitude Crystals and opens Dodoh's High Dive, allowing Link to be the first to play it with one free game.
Sparrot's Crystal Ball
After Link talks to Levias, Sparrot no longer appears in the Bazaar. Speaking to him at his house reveals that he is unable to tell fortunes because he has broken his Crystal Ball and has no idea how he'll get a replacement. The replacement, like the pinwheel, can be seen very early in the game, although it isn't accessible without the Clawshots. It can be found as part of the decorations on the exterior of the Earth Temple entrance. Returning the ball to Sparrot earns Link five Gratitude Crystals and causes Sparrot to resume his fortune-telling business, giving Link a discount on future services.
A rare plant for Owlan
After Link learns Faron's portion of the Song of the Hero, he can talk to Owlan to discover that he fears that he has collected every form of plant life in Skyloft. Link can take his request to find a new plant, which the young hero can find in the form of a Kikwi in Faron Woods. If Link shows Owlan Oolo the Kikwi, he will become ecstatic at the young hero's find and reward him with five Gratitude Crystals.
A farmhand for Kina
Once Link has the Song of the Hero, Kina, one of the owners of the Lumpy Pumpkin remarks that plowing the field is tiresome, and that she wishes that there were someone who was good at digging to help around in the field. If Link revisits the subterranean tunnels of Eldin Volcano, he will find Guld situated on top of one of the rock pillars, which can only be reached while Link is diving into the area. Guld will comment that the heat is making him unable to find any treasure, and that he would like to have a job in a cooler climate. Link tells the old Mogma that he knows a place, and Fi calls down Scrapper to transport Guld to Pumpkin Landing. Upon reaching Pumpkin Landing, Guld will be disappointed at first that Link is trying to get him to work in the field. Fortunately, the Mogma becomes more content with the situation, after displaying his digging skills to Kina. As a reward, five Gratitude Crystals form because of Kina's gratitude for Guld's coming to help work in the fields. At night, Guld reveals that he believes Kina is "falling for him" and "eying him". 
- Scrapper, Scervo, and Dreadfuse are the only Ancient Robots that are active in the present without the use of a Timeshift Stone.
- However, Scrapper is the only one who still requires an outside source (an Ancient Flower) to be active in the present.
- While leading Scrapper to the summit Link can damage and destroy Scrapper himself using any long range weapon, including the Clawshots and Bombs.
- ↑ "Well, I'm happy to hear that someone else believes me, but I don't think I can help you. You see, my grandpa's old robot... What's it called again... Oh, hey, that's right... I remember! His name is Scrapper. He may not be much to look at these days... But he was an amazing robot once! When you called him, he would go anywhere and haul anything!" — Gondo (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Sadly, as you can see now...he's just another busted ol' hunk of junk..." — Gondo (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "But old Gramps did tell me this: you can get him working again with the extract from an Ancient Flower. It's like oil to this guy. But I've never even heard of, much less seen, any such thing!" — Gondo (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "WHAT?! You have one?! Are you kiddin' me?! That's amazing! So this is an Ancient Flower?! I can feel some slick, oily stuff coming out of its stem! Great, with this we can fix Scrapper! ...Wait right here! I'll have him up and running in no time!" — Gondo (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Serving children is very low in my task priority, dzzt!" — Scrapper (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Who are you?! ZRRPT-FOOOSH! Your name is...Fi? Dzzt! Should I call you Mistress Fi? Are you looking for something, Mistress Fi? I... I understand, vrrt!" — Scrapper (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "At your request, I will carry anything, regardless of weight or destination... whizzt! Master Shortpants! I offer assistance! I can now detect Mistress Fi's thought waves, vrrt!" — Scrapper (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Urrrrrghhh... What am I going to do?! It's no use! It's all over... You see, the party wheel that I pinned to my back flew off the island and fell down somewhere below the clouds. Without my party wheel. there's just no way that I can make this island a place where people come to have fun! What can I do? It fell down below the clouds, so I guess I should just give up on it. How am I supposed to get something that fell below the clouds? That's impossible!" — Dodoh (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "My crystal ball has shattered, and without it, my eyes can no longer gaze deeply into the future... It's almost as though these exquisite, all-seeing eyes of mine have begun to dull and cloud over with sadness now that my crystal ball is gone. If only... If only I had a new crystal ball to gaze into..." — Sparrot (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Is it not true that you recovered a piece of the windmill from beneath the clouds recently, young man? This shattered crystal ball was salvaged from below by Gondo's ancestor long before it found its way into my delicate hands. There may still be others like it where it came from, yes, yes! Would you search for a new one for me?" — Sparrot (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "...Oh! What do my eyes behold!? This...this is it! You found it! This is exactly the same as the crystal ball I used before! Fates and fortunes! My eyes are wide with the thrill of possibility and damp with tears of gratitude! I'll be able to start gazing into the future and making predictions at once! Please come by the bazaar again, and I'll tell your fortune for a special price!" — Sparrot (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "As I'm sure you're aware, I'm the eminent authority on plant collecting in Skyloft. If I do say so, myself... But you see...I have begun to fear that I have collected everything I can hope to collect. My plant collection now features every known species. I've started wondering if, in light of your travels, there isn't somewhere you might be able to discover something new for me. What do you think? Would you be willing to look for a new plant species for me? Perhaps something exotic... The kind that would turn a few heads?" — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "This...this is... Unbelievable! You've found me an entirely new plant species! It's precisely what I wanted! Hmm... Fascinating! Should this actually be classified as flora or fauna... I mean, plant or animal? Hmm... You know, this may very well mark the discovery of a new type of species altogether! OH! How incredible! The world is still full of new plants waiting to be discovered, isn't it? I can barely contain my excitement! Oh, Link! You have no idea what this means to me! Thank you so much!" — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Thanks to you, we're ready to plant the new seeds! The only thing is, plowing the patch so that it's ready to be planted is hard work! If only there was someone who was really good at plowing the field..." — Kina (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Oh, you again! It's been a looong time, but I remember that face. Heh heh heh. How're those gloves I invented treatin' ya? Are they up to your satisfaction? How've I been? Awful nice of ya to ask. Lemme see... I've been searchin' high and low for new treasure, but I've come up empty pawed. I gotta say, I'm tired of diggin' after my fortune in this blast furnace. I'm startin' to think it's time I gave up this life of treasure hunting and settle down to enjoy my twilight years. If I'm going to retire, I want to live in a place up high with a glorious view. I've lived most of my life underground, it's true, but I still gaze up at that sky. It's so...big and blue and fluffy. If I had my way, I'd like to come back in my next life as a bird and spend my time soaring the wild blue yonder." — Guld (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "C'mon! Are you seriously trying to get me to work on a field all day?! Is that why you hauled me all the way up here into the sky? What?! But you... Well...I suppose... I guess I could at least give it a try." — Guld (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Hah...Nothing like a dirty day's work to make a guy feel alive! Especially when I see that girl. Makes all the tiredness just melt away. Say...have you seen the way she's been eying me? I think that girl's fallen for me! Lemme tell you, it makes me want to work even harder tomorrow!" — Guld (Skyward Sword)
|Names in Other Regions|
|DL-301 R Récupix|