From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
- Note: This article is about Saria, the Sage. You may be looking for the town of Saria, or the group, SaRIA.
|Finally, a fairy came to you, Link! Wow! That's great news! I'm so happy for you! Now you're a true Kokiri, Link!|
|Title(s)||Sage of Forest|
|Game(s)||Ocarina of Time|
Saria is a Kokiri introduced in Ocarina of Time. She is Link's childhood friend from his years in the Kokiri Forest. She is well-liked amongst other Kokiri, in particular by their boss, Mido, whose dislike of Link might be partially explained by the latter's close friendship with Saria. She often travels to the Sacred Forest Meadow to play her ocarina. She plays a lively, upbeat song that inspires people to dance called Saria's Song. When Link becomes the Hero of Time, he rescues Saria from the Forest Temple and allows her to awaken as the Sage of Forest, .
Appearances and Biography
Ocarina of Time
Saria is the first of the Kokiri to greet Link after he receives a fairy of his own. She congratulates him for finally finding a fairy and is surprised to hear that the Great Deku Tree has summoned Link, as it is a great honor to speak with him. After receiving his quest from the Great Deku Tree, Saria meets Link at the exit to the forest to say goodbye. She gives him the Fairy Ocarina and asks him to come back and visit her.
Once Link meets with the princess, he can meet Saria in the Sacred Forest Meadow to learn the song which she composed. This song allows Link to speak with her at any time.
During Link's seven year absence, Mido kept spreading the rumor that Link was responsible for the death of the Great Deku Tree. Of all Kokiri, Saria was the only one who stood up for Link. When Link awoke, the Forest Temple in the Lost Woods became his first destination after an emergency call from Saria. On the way, he came through Kokiri Forest where the Kokiri informed him that both Saria and Mido had left to the Lost Woods. Following them, Link first encountered Mido, who refused to let him pass. However, after playing Saria's Song, Mido understood that Link had to be one of Saria's friends and as such could be trusted and let through. Link continued to the Sacred Meadow Grove and discovered that Saria's "secret place" housed the entrance to the Forest Temple. Link went in, and after a lot of exploring and fighting, managed to defeat the temple's evil spirit, Phantom Ganon. By doing this, he allowed the new Sage of Forest to awaken: Saria. Saria said goodbye, knowing that the carefree days of old were over, and gave Link the Forest Medallion.
When Link later talked to Mido again, the latter asked him if he would help him keep a promise to Saria: to tell Link that Saria had been waiting for him, because she "really liked [him]" When Link even later defeated Ganon, Saria and the other Sages bundled their powers to seal away Ganon. During the ending, she could be seen overlooking a celebrating Hyrule on Death Mountain with the other Sages.
The Wind Waker
- Saria, like several other characters from Ocarina of Time, inspired a town featured in The Adventure of Link (according to the in-game chronology, in fact it was her name that was reused by the town).
- A carving by Carlov that resembles her face can be seen behind him in the Nintendo Gallery of The Wind Waker.
- The character Ilia from Twilight Princess seems to be a reference to Saria. Both are Link's childhood friends and their names resemble each other when written in katakana (the same characters are used for the letters R and L in Japanese). The Ocarina of Time instruction booklet also refers to Saria as "Salia".
- When Saria says "Good-Bye" to Link on the bridge, it may play off of the superstition 'If you say good bye to a friend on a bridge, you will never see them again.'
Saria and Link in the Sacred Forest Meadow in Ocarina of Time 3D
Darunia and Saria during the ending scene of Ocarina of Time
Saria concept art from Hyrule Historia
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Thank you... Because of you, I could awaken as a Sage... I am Saria. The Sage of the Forest Temple... I always believed that you would come. Because I know you... No... You don't have to explain it to me... Because it is destiny that you and I can't live in the same world. I will stay here as the Forest Sage and help you... Now, please take this Medallion..." — Saria (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "That meanie, Mido, made me cut the grass at Saria's house. Mido told Saria he would do it so she would like him, but I'm the one doing all the work! You and Saria are close friends, so will you help me cut the grass? I'll let you keep anything that you find while cutting it." — Kokiri (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "I've been waiting for you, Link! This is the Sacred Forest Meadow. It's my secret place! I feel... This place will be very important for both of us someday. That's what I feel. If you play the Ocarina here, you can talk with the spirits in the forest." — Saria (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Yahoo! Hi, Link! Wow! A fairy!! Finally, a fairy came to you, Link! Wow! That's great news! I'm so happy for you! Now you're a true Kokiri, Link! Is that right? The Great Deku Tree has summoned you? It's quite an honor to talk to the Great Deku Tree! I'll wait for you here. Get going! Go see the Great Deku Tree!" — Saria (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Oh, you're leaving... I knew... that you would leave the forest... someday, Link... Because you are different from me and my friends.... But that's OK, because we'll be friends forever... won't we? I want you to have this Ocarina... Please take good care of it. When you play my Ocarina, I hope you will think of me and come back to the forest to visit." — Saria (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "You received the Fairy Ocarina! This is a memento from Saria. Set it to (C) and press (C) to start playing it! On the Select Item Subscreen, you can set it to (<), (v) or (>), and then use that (C) to start playing it. You can play different notes with (A) and the four (C) Buttons. Press (B) to quit playing, or to start your song over again." — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Have you been traveling around much, mister? Have you ever met a boy named Link? Mido said that the Great Deku Tree withered because that boy did something wrong to it... Only Saria defended Link--until she left. Maybe we misunderstood...." — Kokiri (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Great! You're safe! I knew I would hear from you again! I'm in the Forest Temple! The forest spirits were calling for help, so I went to check it out... But it's full of evil monsters! Help me, Link!" — Saria (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Where's Saria? Do you know Saria, mister? That's weird... Where has Mido gone during such an emergency?" — A Know-it-All Brother (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "An evil wind is blowing from the direction of the Forest Temple. Saria left, saying, "I have to do something about it!" The Forest Temple is located in the Sacred Forest Meadow in the far side of the Lost Woods." — A Know-it-All Brother (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "What are you? Though you wear Kokirish clothing, you can't fool me! I promised Saria I would never let anybody go through here." — Mido (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "That melody?! Saria plays that song all the time! You...Do you know Saria? That song... Saria taught that song only to her friends... OK... I trust you. When I see you... I don't know why, but I remember... him..." — Mido (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "You received the Forest Medallion! Saria awakens as a Sage and adds her power to yours!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Oh...I see... Saria won't ever come back... But...I...I made a promise to Saria... If Link came back, I would be sure to tell him that Saria had been waiting for him... Because Saria...really... liked... Hey, you. If you see him somewhere, please let him know... And also... I'm sorry for being mean to him. Tell him that, too." — Mido (Ocarina of Time)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||森の賢者、サリア||Sage of the Forest, Saria|
|Spanish||Saria, Sabia del bosque|
|French||Sage de la Forêt, Saria|
|German||Weise des Waldes,Salia||Sage of the Forest, Salia|