From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
|Use(s)||Decelerate when falling or skydiving|
|Comparable Item(s)|| Ezlo|
Before the ceremony, Zelda is seen wearing the Sailcloth like a shawl. It is a white cloth bearing a symbol similar to the Hylian Crest. After Link wins the Wing Ceremony, he and Zelda participate in a following ritual up the hands of the Statue of the Goddess. As part of the ritual, Zelda, acting as the goddess, blesses the Sailcloth. She then unties it from her back and hands it to Link. After she does so, Zelda mentions that legends tell that the goddess once gave a Sailcloth to her chosen hero, though the one Zelda gives to Link is obviously a different Sailcloth. To end the ritual, Zelda tells Link that he must leap from the statue and use the Sailcloth to land safely in the center of a circular design down below. She even challenges him to open the Sailcloth at the last second to show his courage. However, instead of giving him the opportunity to leap, Zelda pushes Link over the edge. After the ritual, the Sailcloth is available for Link to use when need be.
The Sailcloth works much like a parachute, as it is meant to slow Link's descent when dismounting a Loftwing or falling from a considerable height. Link can open the Sailcloth when nearing the ground to avoid damaging himself and safely touch down at his destination. When diving from the sky to the world below, Link will automatically open the Sailcloth if not prompted to do so. While using the Sailcloth, Link will only fall straight to the ground, unable to steer in any other direction. Link can also tuck the Sailcloth away in certain areas to make a quicker landing. Aside from being used for gliding, the Sailcloth also allows Link to elevate to higher spots when a geyser or wind gust is nearby. The item can also be used to return to the Sky by riding columns of air generated by interacting with Bird Statues.
- Not only does the Sailcloth protect Link from falls; it smells nice, too.
- ↑ "I've been working hard to finish making this Sailcloth in time to give it to today's champion." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Great goddess, guiding light and protector of our people, grant us your blessing and mercy as I act in your stead during this ceremony. Valiant youth who grasped victory at the celebration of the bird folk... In accordance with the old ways... I now bestow the blessings of the goddess upon you. The blessings of the goddess drift down from the heavens aloft a sail, which I now pass on to you." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "You know, they say that the goddess gave the Sailcloth to her chosen hero long ago. Of course, the one you're holding isn't the same one." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "See that big, round design on the courtyard below? To finish the ceremony, you need to drop down right into the center of it! Leap off the edge here. Right before you hit the ground, press B to open up your Sailcloth! Just how brave are you? If you were really fearless, you'd wait until the last second to use your Sailcloth." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Press B just before landing to open your Sailcloth and slowly descend." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "You can't control your movement while your Sailcloth is open." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "You got the Sailcloth! Now you can jump from any height without fear of a painful landing! ...It smells nice too." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
|Names in Other Regions|