From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
- Not to be confused with the Dog of the same name.
|Title(s)||King of Koholint Island|
Richard is a noble swordsman who appears in Link's Awakening. Not originally a Zelda character, he hails from a game called Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru (For the Frog the Bell Tolls), which was the starting point for the Link's Awakening game engine.
He once lived in Kanalet Castle, which was supposedly the home of the kings of Koholint long ago, but his rebellious servants became aggravated and kicked him out. Richard moved a little ways off in a small house, Richard's Villa. The villa is filled with frogs and plays a remixed version of the Kane wa Naru title theme. Richard is only interested in getting his Five Golden Leaves back and asks Link to retrieve them. Link receives the Slime Key buried in Pothole Field, the garden in back of Richard's Villa, for gathering the five leaves.
- The music in Richard's Villa is a remix of the overworld theme from For the Frog the Bell Tolls.
- Richard's house has many frogs inside as a reference to his own game.
- If Link waits in Richard's house and lets the tune play long enough, it will eventually break into a familiar tune hidden in several other Nintendo Games, examples being Mario Paint and Animal Crossing (known as K.K. Song in Animal Crossing).
- Ralph from Oracle of Ages has a sprite similar to Richard.
- ↑ "Salutations! You wouldn't know by the look of me, but I used to live in the castle! My servants went berserk and I was forced to flee to my villa... So, you want the key to Ukuku Prairie, do you? I may be able to help you... Let's make... a deal, shall we? I want you to retrieve the Golden Leaf I left behind in the castle when I fled..." — Richard (Link's Awakening)
- ↑ "Smashing! To tell you the truth, there are five leaves, and I want them all! Oh, you'll need to do some digging, so buy a shovel! Are you off, then? Good luck!" — Richard (Link's Awakening)
- ↑ "Ahh! Tres Bien! I see you have recovered all of the leaves! Now, move this box and you will find your reward!" — Richard (Link's Awakening)