Ravio and his pet bird, Sheerow
|Title(s)||Hero of Lorule|
|Game(s)||A Link Between Worlds|
|Voice Actor(s)||Mitsuki Saiga|
Ravio is a mysterious character in A Link Between Worlds. Originally a resident of the kingdom of Lorule, he spends a vast majority of the game posing as a simple shopkeeper in Hyrule, renting various items to his Hyrulean counterpart Link in order to help him advance in his quest.
Following the dark color scheme of the land, Ravio greatly resembles Link, albeit with green eyes and dark purple hair. He is also left handed like Link. Throughout the course of the game, Ravio wears a purple bunny outfit and hood in order to hide his true identity from Link. His outfit also includes a black and blue stripped scarf, and a belt inscribed with a green Rupee; this garb is likely a homage to Link's rabbit form from A Link to the Past, in which the hero would revert to upon entering the Dark World without the protection of the Moon Pearl.
Prior the events of A Link Between Worlds, Ravio was a loyal servant of Princess Hilda in Lorule. He soon discovered, however, that Hilda was plotting to steal Hyrule's Triforce with Yuga, to compensate for the loss of their kingdom's own. Ravio was then forced to flee to Hyrule to search for a hero to stop them, as he lacked the courage to confront them himself.
Ravio introduces himself to Link after the hero's failed encounter with Yuga at the Sanctuary, claiming to be a travelling merchant who has been looking for a place to stay. After advising Link to report the abduction of Seres to Hyrule Castle, he asks that he be allowed to live in his house; when Link says yes, he gifts him with his bracelet in place of rent, which is later used by Link to exit from a wall after Yuga transforms him into a painting in the Eastern Palace, and subsequently, gain the ability to Wall Merge.
Ravio goes on to open a shop inside of Link's house, where the hero may rent and eventually purchase various items that are critical to reaching and completing certain dungeons. Most items are available from Ravio's Shop near the beginning of the game, allowing Link to proceed through the dungeons in a non-linear fashion. After Link obtains all three Pendants of Virtue, Ravio begins to sell the items that he rents out as well. After Link leaves the shop following this, Ravio tells him of the Quick Equip ability.
After Link purchases all of the items in Ravio's Shop, Ravio thanks the young hero for bringing him so many Rupees and decides to close his shop and enter retirement. In his retirement, Ravio can be found laying on the floor of Link's House, philosophizing over various things. Consequently, every time Link enters Ravio's Shop, Ravio will be laying on the floor saying something different, usually how his outlook on life has changed since retirement. He will also sing, claiming that it's been a long time since he was in the mood for singing.
Once Link has defeated Yuga for the final time, Ravio returns to Lorule and stops him from attacking Hilda, revealing himself as the hero's Lorulean counterpart. He confesses to his princess that he lacked the courage to stand up to her and Yuga and fled to Hyrule in search of a hero who could help him. Ravio goes on to convince Hilda against stealing Hyrule's Triforce, as it would only makes things worse for both worlds and ultimately go against the intentions of her ancestors. After successfully talking Hilda out of her plan, Ravio travels with her to Lorule's Sacred Realm and watches as she prepares to send Link and Zelda home. During his farewell to Link, Ravio states his gratitude at meeting such a courageous hero and his desire that some of Link's bravery may have been passed onto him.
After Link and Princess Zelda make a wish upon their Triforce upon returning to Hyrule, Ravio and Hilda are shown standing together as the slate connecting the two worlds shatters apart, knocking them both back. The two then watch as Lorule's rightful Triforce is restored, with Ravio smiling broadly as Hilda tearfully thanks Link and Zelda for their selfless wish.
- Satoru Iwata has noted that many fans have compared Ravio to Nabbit from the Super Mario series, but dismissed it as an unintentional coincidence.
- When Link approaches Ravio's bag with a Rupee symbol on it in Link's house, he frantically stops Link, saying there's something "more important than life itself" inside.
- When playing through the game in Hero Mode, the player can find a journal in the Vacant House in Lorule, which, judging by the entries within, the house's location in comparison to Link's residence in Hyrule, and the symbol on the cover, would seem to belong to Ravio. In it, he expresses his distrust toward Yuga and his desire to save Hilda from stressing over Lorule's impending doom, as well as his plans to travel to Hyrule and find someone to stop her.
- Ravio is shown to be left-handed, as Link is, in his demonstrations of the items he rents out.
- Ravio's Theme is one of the songs that can be played at the Milk Bar in Kakariko Village.
It's possible that Ravio's name is a portmanteau of the Latin word for yellow, flavus, which could refer to his cowardly personality, and Link's Japanese name, Rinku.
Ravio demonstrating the Bomb's use
Ravio demonstrating the Boomerang's use
Ravio demonstrating the Bow's use
Ravio demonstrating the Hammer's use
Ravio demonstrating the Hookshot's use
Ravio demonstrating the Tornado Rod's use
Ravio demonstrating the Fire Rod's use
Ravio demonstrating the Ice Rod's use
Ravio demonstrating the Sand Rod's use
- "The player can decide which item to rent and eventually purchase based on the dungeon they choose to challenge next." —Satoru Iwata (Nintendo Direct 10.1.2013)
- "Most items are immediately available there near the beginning of the game." —Satoru Iwata (Nintendo Direct 10.1.2013)
- "I have some big news for you. You may know me as the rental guy. But now I'm in the sales biz too! Great, right? Starting today, you can buy my items too--and at really good prices! If you act now, your first purchase is HALF-price. Only once per customer though... Just to give you a taste of sweet, deelicious ownership!" — Ravio (A Link Between Worlds)
- "I've got more big news for you. Top secret. Kind of thing only ol' Ravio knows. Want to hear it? Don't know why I'm asking. Just going to keep talking anyway. It's a little something I like to call... Quick Equip! You know, for swapping items out on the fly? Press your equipped items to use Quick Equip. Easy enough to do, even while you're running around. Of course, you can always take your sweet time thinking about each and every item you want to use. In that case, it's better to just keep using the Items button. Here endeth the lesson! So take Quick Equip for a spin sometime." — Ravio (A Link Between Worlds)
- "When I look at you, Mr. Hero, I now realize that just about anything is possible if you put heart into it. Ha! Seems like it's about time for me to decide where to put MY heart!" — Ravio (A Link Between Worlds)
- "It's a lot of fun, trying to imagine what the future holds. Ha! I've got a new outlook on life, and it's all thanks to you, Mr. Hero!" — Ravio (A Link Between Worlds)
- "For a long time, I believed that if you put your ear to the ground, you'd hear the world's heart beating. That the world just goes on living, whether you were there or not. Weird, right? And sorta sad. So I've been listening here for a while, and you know the only heart I've heard? Mine! I couldn't be happier. Ha! I've got a new outlook on life, and it's all thanks to you, Mr. Hero!" — Ravio (A Link Between Worlds)
- "I've never really had the time to take a lot of naps before. The world looks so different from here! Sometimes just changing your perspective is the key to...well, to everything! I've got a new outlook on life, and it's all thanks to you, Mr. Hero!" — Ravio (A Link Between Worlds)
- "You know, whenever I used to just lounge around... I would think how I'm just a tiny speck in a great, big world. And I still believe that I'm a teeny, tiny, little speck in a world that's SO much bigger than I ever thought! But even a speck can change the world if he puts his heart into it. I've got a new outlook on life, and it's all thanks to you, Mr. Hero!" — Ravio (A Link Between Worlds)
- "I'm so happy I've discovered my true calling in life--retirement! And it's all thanks to you, buddy." — Ravio (A Link Between Worlds)
- "I always thought sleeping all day would be fun. But now I think I'd miss breakfast and lunch, right? Yeah, I've got a new outlook on life, and it's all thanks to you, Mr. Hero!" — Ravio (A Link Between Worlds)
- "♪ Maybe by tomorrow, the sun is gonna glow! ♪ And maybe by tomorrow, not gonna stub my toe! ♪ Or maybe by tomorrow, the snow is gonna blow! ...You know, it's been WAY too long since I've been in a singing mood. But I've got a new outlook on life, and it's all thanks to you, Mr. Hero!" — Ravio (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Forgive me, Your Highness. I'm a coward at heart. There was no way that I had the courage to stand up to you and Yuga. But I was smart enough to go to Hyrule. I knew they'd have a hero who could help me." — Ravio (A Link Between Worlds)
- "I-I'm sorry, my princess. But it was with the best of intentions. I wish the best for our kingdom. But by ruining Hyrule? You'd bring out the absolute worst in Lorule." — Ravio (A Link Between Worlds)
- "No, no... Of course not, Princess. But there must be some other way. Don't you realize? The reason your noble ancestors destroyed our Triforce... was to Stop such chaos!" — Ravio (A Link Between Worlds)
- "It's been a pleasure, my friend. I got to meet a real, live, genuine hero. Ha! Who knows? Maybe some of your courage rubbed off on me. So thanks, Link." — Ravio (A Link Between Worlds)
- "When this screenshot was posted on Miiverse, some people commented that the character next to Link looks like Nabbit from New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U. He sure does look like Nabbit, doesn't he? Well, unfortunately, he has nothing to do with the Mario series. In fact, his name is Ravio; hence the name of his shop. The Zelda and Mario series are created on the same floor by members of development teams that sit right next to each other, so perhaps they inspired one another unknowingly." —Satoru Iwata (Nintendo Direct 10.1.2013)
- "Hey! Don't touch that bag, Mr. Hero! There's something in there that's more important than life itself!" — Ravio (A Link Between Worlds)
|Names in Other Regions|