From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
|Title(s)||Guardian of Nayru|
|Game(s)||Oracle of Ages|
|Family||Queen Ambi (great great great great great grandmother)|
Ralph is Nayru's childhood friend and loyal guardian in Oracle of Ages. Although he is stubborn and hotheaded, rarely pondering the consequences of his own actions, he is a noble character deep down. Due to his protective nature defensive attitude towards Nayru, Ralph expresses a certain resentment towards Link, treating him with a certain amount of rivalry throughout the course of the game as he attempts to rescue Nayru before Link. As Link defeats Veran and saves Nayru Queen Ambi, the young hero gains Ralph's respect.
Ralph is first seen standing next to Nayru when Link first arrives to Labrynna. He confidently informs Link that he will not be needed to help protect Nayru, only seconds before Veran possesses her. Standing up to Veran, Ralph threatens to cut her in half if she does not release Nayru, but is forced to stand down, as Veran points out that if he attacks, Nayru will die. Making her getaway to the past, Ralph is quick to pursue her through the still-open Time Portal.
Despite his noble ambition, Ralph is ultimately of little help, as he simply runs around in the past hoping to encounter Veran. He does, however, point out a few important facts to Link as the young hero quests for the Essences of Time.
After Link completes the Mermaid's Cave, Queen Ambi leaves her palace, giving Link the ideal opportunity to rescue Nayru from Veran's clutches. Upon his arrival to the palace, Link runs into Ralph, who also heard that the palace guard was let down. Ralph rushes ahead to find Nayru, but not before informing Link of a hidden entrance to the palace interior within the palace garden. Ralph reappears after Link saves Nayru from Veran, who then possesses Queen Ambi. Saving both Link and Ralph, Nayru returns them to the present. After Nayru's safe return, Ralph apologizes to Link for his behavior. He decides to return to the past, vowing to defeat Veran. Ralph is determined to kill Queen Ambi to save Labrynna and Nayru, even after it is discovered that the queen is Ralph's ancestor, knowing full well that if he succeeds, he himself will vanish from existence.
However, as he comes face-to-face with the Sorceress of Shadows at the Black Tower, he is easily thwarted by Veran's power. Ralph survives (thanks to Veran's "kindness"), but reminds Link that by killing the queen, he kills Ralph. Link battles Veran and, believing her to be defeated, attempts to exit the tower along with Nayru and Ralph. However, Veran is not finished. Link, separated from Nayru and Ralph, faces off against Veran for the last time. After defeating Veran for good, Link meets with Nayru and Ralph, accompanied by Queen Ambi (who had been freed from Veran's control in the battle) and her soldiers. Ralph is amazed by Link's performance, and from then on treats the young hero with the utmost respect.
As the adventure ends, Ralph vows to train harder to be able to protect Nayru on his own. He is last seen training with Link, trying unsuccessfuly to master the Spin Attack, turning it into an uncontrollable version with greater range. Despite the greater range of damage, the attack makes Ralph too dizzy to do anything except collapse after he uses it.
- Curiously, Ralph's hair is black in-game, whereas it is red in official art.
- Ralph has a sprite similar to Richard in Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Ralph is my grandson's grandson!" — Queen Ambi (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "I've known Nayru was the Oracle of Ages since she was a child. I have always been beside her, protecting her." — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "If anyone is gonna save [Nayru], it's me! I won't let you beat me to it!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Link! My respect for you has grown. I thought it was over when you got locked in the tower. I never thought you'd outdo me!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "Don't worry, Nayru! I'm here. I'll chase away any beast that comes near you! Sorry, Link, but I doubt we'll need you." — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "What are you doing to Nayru? I'll cut you in two if you don't let her go!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "Hah! Aren't you brave! Turning a sword at me! If you cut me, it's Nayru who dies!" — Veran (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "Veran just leapt through this Time Portal! If we go back in time, we should be able to save Nayru and the Maku Tree! I'm coming, Nayru!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "Link! Did you hear that? They're saying terrible things about Nayru in the village... But why? It must be Veran's work! The truth will come out once I save Nayru! Wait here! I'm going!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "Dawdling about, as usual. What are you doing? Huh? You need an Island Chart? I've heard that weird guy has sea charts to the secret isle. Do what you want! I'm too busy trying to save Nayru to help you! See ya!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "Hey, Link! What are you doing here? I came to find an old hermit who's studying tunes on this mountain. I don't know where he is, but I bet he can offer a clue that will help save Nayru. I'll find him! Bye!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "Hey, Link! Are you looking for something, or what? Huh? Cheval? I know that name. Yeah! I've seen a grave in our own time that has that name on it. But I don't have time to chat! I'm busy! See ya!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "Link! I have great news!!! Queen Ambi has just left the palace! Now is your chance! This may be your only opportunity to save Nayru!" — Maku Tree (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "Link! Don't startle me! You also heard the guard on the palace was down and came to save Nayru?" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "But it's no good entering from the front door. I know! There should be a hidden entrance in the palace garden! I'll sneak in through there! What? "Why do I know about the hidden passage on my first trip here?" Never mind!!! I'm coming, Nayru!!!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "Sorry, Link. I was the one running around while you did the saving..." — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "But know this: I'll be the one to stop Veran!!! I won't leave the people of the past to her evil deeds! Forgetting about Veran now would be foolish. If we do, she'll just come for Nayru again! [...] I'm going back to Ambi's age first! May fate bring us back together! Bye!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "Link, I was researching the past and found something awful! Ralph is a descendant of Queen Ambi! Do you know what this means? Ralph lives now because Ambi lived in the past. If Ambi is slain, Ralph will never exist! I came to try to stop Ralph, but I couldn't!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "I came to destroy Veran! Veran has taken control of Queen Ambi, right? Then to beat Veran... I must defeat... Queen Ambi... Umm... Well... Queen Ambi! Veran! I'll destroy the both of you! Then the people of this age, and of our age, will have peace... ...But what... will happen to me..? Umm... Link... Don't forget me. I mean, I think of you...as a friend... OK! I'm going! Ralph can do it! Goodbye, Link!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "You trickster! Fine! If I slay you, I vanish! Maybe it is terrifying... But if I must, I must. To do nothing and live just isn't me. Then it means nothing! I will destroy you! To protect the people of this age, and to protect Nayru!!!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "Oh, Link! Because of my kindness, young Ralph still lives. But you still attack me! If you damage Ambi's body, Ralph will vanish. You can't intend to end your dear friend's life by your own hand!" — Veran (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "You really beat Veran, didn't you? Nice work, Link! You're amazing!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "Link! You did it! Even I thought it was over this time, but Nayru was there. She can't always remain helpless! I'm going to train so I'll be able to protect Nayru on my own!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
|Names in Other Regions|