From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
|Game(s)||The Wind Waker|
|Family|| Rito Chieftain (father) |
Prince Komali is a Rito and the son of the Rito Chieftain in The Wind Waker. He lives in Dragon Roost Island and is supposed to be the future leader of the Ritos. He's also close friends with Medli and is the holder of Din's Pearl.
Prince Komali is known to be rather shy and with very little confidence in himself. As such, his grandmother was always with him, giving him the strength and courage that he needed as well as comforting him in his time of need. His grandmother, having received Din's Pearl from the sky spirit known as Valoo, gave the precious gem to his grandson as a gift. However, due to unknown reasons, Komali's grandmother passed away not long before Link arrived on Dragon Roost Island. Soon after, Lord Valoo begins to go on a rampage, thus preventing young Rito (Komali included) from reaching him to receive the scale that allows them to grow their wings. Overwhelmed by all these events, Prince Komali shuts himself off from the rest of the world and refuses to go visit the Sky Spirit for his scale. It is then that Link meets Komali's father, who asks that Link share some of the young hero's courage to his son as well as delivering a letter of encouragement written by the chieftain.
When Link meets Prince Komali, he treats him with a cold and negative attitude, still unwilling to listen to any voice of comfort that anyone tries to give him. He's rather reluctant to listen to anything that Link has to say, calling him a liar for saying that the young hero could calm Lord Valoo down. However, Prince Komali does mention that if Link finds someone that can get past all the obstacles on Dragon Roost to get to Valoo, then he will hear whatever words he has to say. The prince also refuses to give Din's Pearl to Link, explaining that the pearl is the only thing that calms him down.
After Link defeats Gohma and relieves Valoo of his pain, the young Ritos are finally able to receive their wings again. Prince Komali, impressed by Link's courage, decides to bestow upon the young hero Din's Pearl, saying that giving away what he values the most will give him the courage he needs. Prince Komali then promptly departs to receive the scale from Valoo in order to obtain his pair of wings, abruptly saying good-bye to Link.
The young Rito prince, along with Quill, make a rather opportune appearance just as Ganondorf is ready to abolish Link and Tetra in the Forsaken Fortress. The two Ritos quickly fly through there and take them away by grabbing Link and Tetra with their talons, saving them just before Valoo unleashes a blast of fire at Ganondorf's viewing platform.
Prince Komali can be then seen again shortly after Medli is awakened as the new Sage of Earth by Link. Once Medli regains her consciousness after she fainted, she sees Komali flying high above from where Link and Medli are standing, where she mentions that she only wishes for Prince Komali to remember her as a simple attendant and not as the new Sage of Earth. As such, Link and Medli quickly leave for the Earth Temple before the Rito prince is able to notice them. Komali then flies down to the cliff where Medli was earlier, only to see that she seems to have disappeared.
Link can later return to see Prince Komali as a more mature, courageous young Rito possessing a whole different attitude than before, as well as a new wardrobe. He can be seen standing near the entrance of Dragon Roost holding a flower, where he asks Link if he's seen Medli and wonders if something has happened to her. He goes on to show Link the flower he picked for Medli, wanting to surprise the young Rito girl with it, but is disappointed when he notices she's gone. The flower eventually wilts, and Prince Komali regrets not having had the chance to see the joy on Medli's face upon seeing the flower. Still holding the flower, Komali continues to worry about Medli's whereabouts, heavily hinting the prince's deep affection towards Medli.
Prince Komali makes a final appearance during the ending credits. When both Link and Tetra have surfaced from the flooding Hyrule, the Rito prince flies towards them just before Tetra's ship sails in.
|Komali (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
|| Birthplace: Dragon Roost Island.|
Personality: Mama's boy.
Komali had very little confidence in himself and thus closed himself off from the world outside his tribe's aerie.
With just a little help from Link, though, he has regained his confidence and has at last begun to show signs of being a confident and mature Rito adult.
- Precisely how Komali managed to get his wings from Valoo is unknown; the staircase leading to Valoo fell as Link was ascending it in the Dragon Roost Cavern dungeon, and never reappears even when Link comes to visit the spot later in his journey.
- Komali shares characteristics with Rouru, the heir to the tribal leadership of the Watarara tribe from Ocarina of Time manga.
- He also has similarities with Prince Ralis, the prince of the Zoras from Twilight Princess, who also has to face the death of a loved one.
- His Japanese name, Komori (コモリ), is likely derived from the Japanese word, Hikikomori (引きこもり), which means "social withdrawal", reflecting his reclusive personality.
- Kogoli's Japanese name is コマリ (Komali). It was likely changed during localization to avoid confusion with the prince.
- ↑ "However, his grandmother passed recently, and Komali seems lost. His confidence is...gone. His grandmother was always with him, you see." — A Rito (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "It's so pretty, isn't it? It's called Din's Pearl. My grandma gave it to me." — Prince Komali (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "However, his grandmother passed recently, and Komali seems lost. His confidence is...gone." — A Rito (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "What do you want from me, huh? I... I don't want to talk to anyone right now!" — Prince Komali (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "Let me be direct. My son, Komali, is of the age to earn his wings... Yet...he is weak, in some ways...and in light of the current situation, he may just give up on ever getting them..." — Rito Chieftain (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "What say you? Will you share some of your courage with my son? [...] I have something I wish for you to give to my son. A young girl named Medli is holding it for me. Would you find her and take it?" — Rito Chieftain (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "A letter? From my father? Oh, sure, telling me to be brave is easy enough for him... It's not like he's the one who went through that horrible experience... It's not like HE still has to go get a scale from Valoo. You're in this letter, too, you know... Poking your nose in other people's business... You're nosy, aren't you? Sorry, but I really don't feel like going to see Valoo right now. I mean, how am I supposed to get a scale from him when he's so upset?" — Prince Komali (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "What? Are you trying to say that YOU can calm Valoo down? Psssssh! That's just a big, fat lie! It's easy to SAY you can do anything! Bragging doesn't cost a thing!" — Prince Komali (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "It's strange... Holding this calms me down. I forget all the bad things. [...] What? What is it, huh? Listen, you can stare all you want, but I'm not giving this to you. This is MY treasure. You understand? I'm not going to just hand it over to some do-nothing guy, am I?" — Prince Komali (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "I want you to take this, Link! Giving you the thing I value most will give me the courage I need to stand up to bad things!" — Prince Komali (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "Well, I'm going to go and visit Valoo! I'll come and see you sometime_with the best pair of wings ever!" — Prince Komali (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "Link, please... You must take me to the Earth Temple. We must hurry and wake the power to repel evil that sleeps within the Master Sword. Let's go now, quickly and quietly. Oh, Komali... I just want him to remember me as a simple attendant..." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "Link, you know Medli, don't you? I think something weird happened to her... It stinks, too, because I went to all the trouble of picking this flower to surprise her with! And now she's not around! Tell me if you spot Medli, will you?" — Prince Komali (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "Link... My flower... It wilted... The joy on Medli's face when she saw this flower... I really wanted to see that... Medli... I wonder where she's gone..." — Prince Komali (The Wind Waker)
|Names in Other Regions|