|You see, for generations, our ancestors lived to serve the Ocean King. They defended the Ocean King in an age when great evil lurked in the sea. My people forged our own weapons and fought in epic battles. You seek one of those great weapons. An artifact called the Phantom Sword.|
|Use(s)|| Defeat Phantoms|
|Comparable Item(s)|| Master Sword|
The Phantom Sword is the only weapon that can harm Bellum and Phantoms in Phantom Hourglass. It is composed of the Phantom Hourglass and a blade forged from three types of Pure Metals: Crimsonine, Azurine, and Aquanine.
After rescuing Tetra from the Ghost Ship, Link is told by Oshus to find the three kinds of Pure Metals and take them to the legendary blacksmith Zauz to forge the Phantom Sword in order to defeat Bellum. After Zauz forges the sword with the three Pure Metals, Link must complete the blade by returning to Oshus, who will fuse the Phantom Hourglass with the blade itself. By doing so, the Phantom Sword gains the ability to control time for a short period.
The Phantom Sword is the only weapon capable of slaying the Phantoms that patrol the Temple of the Ocean King, and thus, the only weapon capable of defeating Bellum. Since the Phantom Hourglass is incorporated into the hilt, it makes the wielder immune to the life-draining curse of the Temple. In combination with a Phantom Sphere, it can stop time temporarily. Link uses this ability in his battle with Bellum, using it to freeze time so he can get behind Bellum and attack his eye.
When Link goes to talk to Zauz about the Phantom Sword, the blacksmith explains that his ancestors defended the Ocean King in an age when great evil lurked the sea, and in order to combat those monsters, his people would forge their own weapons. One of these weapons was the Phantom Sword itself, and Zauz even mentions that he had one, although he lost it at some point. Thus, it is implied that Zauz's people forged many Phantom Swords for battle, and that perhaps the Phantom Sword is not the only weapon that can vanquish Bellum and the Phantoms.
- The Phantom Sword resembles the Master Sword in many ways - the major differences between them are the symbol of the Ocean King appearing in place of the Triforce emblem on the blade as well as the crossguard featuring a different design, in which the Master Sword's yellow jewel is replaced by the Phantom Hourglass.
- The music that plays when Link receives the Phantom Sword is also the same as that of the Master Sword.
- "The Phantom Sword is no ordinary sword... When forged, normal metal can never handle that kind of sacred power! Aquanine... Azurine... And Crimsonine... These three pure metals must be forged together to create the Phantom Sword." — Zauz (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Rare metals and mystical sands are fused together. And so the Phantom Sword is born. With that, you can defeat Bellum." — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Hmmm. I cannot call it truly complete without a handle. Take this blade to the Ocean King. He will add the Sand of Hours. Only he can empower the Phantom Sword with the ability to control time." — Zauz (Phantom Hourglass)
- "You see, for generations, our ancestors lived to serve the Ocean King. They defended the Ocean King in an age when great evil lurked in the sea. My people forged our own weapons and fought in epic battles. You seek one of those great weapons. An artifact called the Phantom Sword." — Zauz (Phantom Hourglass)
- "I no longer have it..." — Zauz (Phantom Hourglass)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Spanish||Espada del Más Allá||Sword of the Beyond|
|French||Épée Spectrale||Spectral Sword|
|Épée Fantôme||Phantom Sword|
|Italian||Spada Illusione||Illusion Sword|