| This article or section does not meet Zelda Wiki's quality standards.
Please Editing help is available.
| This article or section does not sufficiently cite its sources.
Please help by introducing appropriate citations.
|Title||Evil Spirit from Beyond (OoT)|
|Game(s)||Ocarina of Time|
The Wind Waker
Four Swords Adventures
|Other Media||Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
|Dungeon(s)||Forest Temple (OoT)|
Forsaken Fortress (TWW)
Ganon's Tower (TWW)
his own magic attacks
|Reward(s)||Heart Container (OoT)|
Forest Medallion (OoT)
Skull Hammer (TWW)
Ocarina of Time
Phantom Ganon guards the Forest Temple. There are six identical paintings on the walls, which are of a road leading to a dark castle; Phantom Ganon jumps into one of them with his horse. After disappearing, two replicas of Phantom Ganon will ride to the front of two paintings. The real Phantom Ganon in the painting will be lighter than the fake. The sound of his horse's galloping is also an easily distinguished clue, as only the real one will make the noise. A purple vortex will appear before the one out of which the real Phantom Ganon will materialize. As he jumps out, he turns white, and at this point he can be shot with an arrow from the Fairy Bow (alternatively, the Hookshot can be used; however, the Fairy Bow's speed makes it a superior weapon for this battle). If the shot misses or is delayed, he summons an electric ball on the ground that scatters across the platform. This can easily be avoided by standing on one of the Triforce images in each corner of the platform. After taking sufficient damage (three shots), he leaves his horse and the second part of the battle begins.
He now starts to attack by shooting an energy ball from his staff at Link while hovering over the ground. Link can hit the ball back with the Master Sword or a Bottle. Repeated enough times, Phantom Ganon is eventually hit and falls to the ground paralyzed. He can now be hit multiple times with the Master Sword, and after enough hits, he is finally defeated. When his health is halved or less, he sometimes does another attack: He twirls his staff a few times, letting off small magic sparks to show he's about to attack; he then charges at Link, doing three hearts of damage. Once defeated, Link gains a Heart Container and the Forest Medallion. Ganondorf's disembodied voice is heard while the Phantom writhes; he calls it a "worthless creation" and banishes it "to the gap between dimensions."
The Wind Waker
Link encounters Phantom Ganon twice in The Wind Waker, once in the Forsaken Fortress and once in Ganon's Tower. In Ganon's Tower, he appears in every room of the maze leading to the Light Arrows and the room immediately after it. He has three major attacks:
- He generates a blue orb, which he fires at Link.
- He generates a large dark red energy ball, which splits into a group of small bursts of energy flying towards Link (Second encounter only).
- He appears on the ground and swings his Sword at Link. On his second appearance, he will be accompanied by four illusions of himself, similar to Meg or the Poes in the Arbiter's Grounds.
Phantom Ganon can be defeated by reflecting his blue orbs with a Sword or empty Bottle in a game of Dead Man's Volley. Likewise, his small bursts of energy can be sent back at him with a Spin Attack. Once he is hit by the reflected attack, Link can attack him with his Sword. Link can also hurt him by intercepting his Sword attack. However, this can be difficult to accomplish as he generally appears behind Link during the first encounter and uses decoys during the second.
During the first encounter, he takes several hits with the Sword before he vanishes. After beating him, Link gains the Skull Hammer. On the second encounter, he vanishes after just one hit when he appears in the maze, and the handle of his Sword points at the door Link must take to advance. When Link reaches the Light Arrow room, he puts up more resistance, and takes several hits before he vanishes. On the final confrontation, he can only be defeated by a Light Arrow, which immediately kills him. Link then takes the deceased enemy's sword and throws it to the brick wall to gain access to Ganondorf's whereabouts.
|Phantom Ganon (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
|| Habitat: Forsaken Fortress|
Effective Weapons: Light Arrows, Master Sword
This is a phantom that Ganondorf created in his own likeness. Use your sword to knock back the balls of magic that he hurls, then attack him when he's stunned. Actually, you can also use empty bottles to deflect his magic attacks.
Four Swords Adventures
This article or section is written in an informal tone.
It does not meet Zelda Wiki's style standards. Please
Phantom Ganon reappears again in Four Swords Adventures. As with previous titles, the key to beating him is to patiently wait for him to fire his energy balls, and then knock them back and forth between Phantom Ganon and the Links. Once he is stunned, he is vulnerable to slashes from the Links' Sword.
Phantom Ganon returns, bringing with him many clones. Defeating him isn't much of a trick this time around either, as he is vulnerable to the same process as before. Also, Phantom Ganon's green orbs can be hit back, while the clone's balls will break when hit with the sword. This phantom is identical to the The Wind Waker version, except he doesn't have a cape.
During the horseback fight against Ganondorf in Hyrule Field, Ganondorf summons spectral horsemen that try to knock Link off of his horse. The horsemen ride phantom horses that resemble Ganondorf's black horse, and each have a pair of horns and a spear, similar to the Ocarina of Time version of Phantom Ganon. However, they are much weaker than any of the previous Phantom Ganons, and serve as minor distractions, rather than powerful enemies. They disappear if Link avoids them or they can be destroyed by a single slice of the Master Sword.
Phantom Ganon's Sword
- See also: Usable Enemy Weapons
This sword is used in both The Wind Waker and Four Swords Adventures. In The Wind Waker, it can only be used when Link is in Ganon's Tower. It is carried by Phantom Ganon and is dropped when Link kills him. In the maze within Ganon's Tower the sword falls onto the ground with the hilt pointing in the direction that Link needs to go to complete the maze. The sword can also be used to destroy the large door blocking Link's way to the top.
- Ocarina of Time's Phantom Ganon wields a Trident, referencing Ganon's incarnations in previous games.
- In The Wind Waker, Phantom Ganon's theme is very similar to Ganon's battle theme from A Link to the Past. The tone of this theme increases the more times Link bounces back Phantom Ganon's attacks.
- The The Wind Waker version of Phantom Ganon has a similar aesthetic to the Portals seen in Twilight Princess.
- Phantom Ganon shares many design similarities with other major enemies. In Twilight Princess, Phantom Zant is also spectral copy of his creator while Death Sword is also a horned, ghostly creature with a skull for a face, the ability to fly and vanish, and wielding a similar sword, and the Phantoms of Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks wear armor with similar features as the Four Swords Adventures version of Phantom Ganon.
- The blue outlines around Phantom Ganon's cape in The Wind Waker only appears on the sharp edges of the cape and will not move when the camera angle is rotated, while his body and sword have outlines on surfaces that faces away from the screen that can move when the camera angle is changed, keeping the outlines on "edges" on surfaces' side visible regardless of the camera's angle.
- "Phantom Ganon It's an evil ghost of the Forest Temple! He comes out of one of the pictures. Answer his magic attack with an attack of your own!" — Navi (Ocarina of Time)
- "Phantom Ganon Attack him when he comes out of one of the pictures! Watch out for the fake one!" — Navi (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey kid, you did quite well... It looks like you may be gaining some slight skill... But you have defeated only my phantom... When you fight the real me, it won't be so easy! What a worthless creation that ghost was! I will banish it to the gap between dimensions!!" — Ganondorf (Ocarina of Time)
- "It appears as a mini-boss at two different points in the game-the first during Link's second visit to the Forsaken Fortress, the second during the Ganon's Tower quest." (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Prima Games page= 33), pg. )
- "To defeat Phantom Ganon, swing your sword so it hits the ball of magic and sends it back at Phantom Ganon, who knocks it back at you. It's like a tennis game-keep returning Phantom Ganon's shots until he misses and is stunned by his own attack." (The Wind Waker manual, pg. 79)
- "In both fights, Phantom Ganon shoots a white ball of magical energy that you can deflect with a well-timed sword or Empty Bottle Swing." (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Prima Games), pg. 33)
- "When Phantom Ganon is defeated-a chest appears in the courtyard. Open the chest to get the Skull Hammer..." (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Prima Games), pg. 79)
- "The sword-hilts of my servants who lurk deep in the darkness shall be the guideposts that point to me." — Stone in Ganon's Tower (The Wind Waker)
- "Pick up the Phantom Ganon's sword and throw it at the one door in the room through which you haven't gone...The Phantom Ganon's sword shatters he door and you can now go through." (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Prima Games), pg. 119)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese|| 異次元悪霊ファントムガノン (Ijigen Akuryō Fantomu Ganon) (OoT)
ファントムガノン (Fantomu Ganon) (TWW)
| Evil Spirit of Another Dimension: Phantom Ganon|
|Spanish||Ganon Fantasma||Phantom Ganon|
|Spanish||Espíritu maligno de ultratumba: Ganon Fantasma (OoT3D)||Malignant Spirit from Beyond the Grave: Phantom Ganon|
|French|| Esprit Maléfique de l'Au-Delà: Ganon Spectral (OoT)
Fântome de Ganon (TWW)
| Evil Spirit from Beyond: Spectral Ganon|
|French||Ganon Spectral: Esprit maléfique de l'au-delà (OoT3D)||Spectral Ganon: Evil Spirit from Beyond|
|German||Reitendes Unheil: Phantom-Ganon (OoT)||Riding Calamity: Phantom Ganon|
|Korean||이차원악령 팬텀 가논 (Ichawon Akryeong Paenteom Ganon)||Evil Spirit from Another Dimension: Phantom Ganon|
|Chinese||異次元惡靈幻影加農||Evil Spirit of Another Dimension: Phantom Ganon|
|异次元恶灵幻影盖侬||Evil Spirit of Another Dimension: Phantom Ganon|