From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
|First appearance||The Legend of Zelda|
|Latest appearance||Four Swords Adventures|
|Non-canon Appearances|| The Shadow Prince|
A Link to the Past comic
|Family|| Daughter (Old Man from Rauru)|
Niece (Old Man from Ruto)
Old Man is a title given to several characters serving different functions, appearing in The Legend of Zelda, The Adventure of Link, A Link to the Past, Oracle of Ages and Seasons, and Four Swords Adventures.
The Legend of Zelda
In The Legend of Zelda, there are several Old Men across Hyrule, each serving various needs, such as supplying Link with his first sword, or giving helpful advice regarding enemies such as the Dodongo. Many helpful items can be obtained from these old men, and a mini-game can be played with them called the Money Making Game. If he is found in dungeons and is stabbed, the torches around him will fire energy blasts at Link, similar to those of a Stone Statue.
The Adventure of LinkThe Adventure of Link, also known as Wise Man, one Old Man resides in each town. They teach Link useful magic once he has achieved the necessary prerequisites. These magical abilities are usually required for access to the next area that Link must travel to. Great Palace, a dwarven Old Man keeps the Triforce of Courage. When Link enters the chamber of the Triforce, the Old Man stands atop a pillar and summons Shadow Link out of Link's body. When Link defeats his dark counterpart, the dwarven Old Man hands him the Triforce of Courage.
Oracle of Seasons
In Oracle of Seasons, Old Men appear in caves that Link finds using by using the shovel or burning trees using Ember Seeds. Some bribe Link not to tell anybody about their secret caves by giving him a large sum of approximately 300 Rupees. Others will thank Link, and charge him a large sum of money in order to repair their doors.
There are three special Old Men in Holodrum who differ from the rest. The first (and only required one) lives in a house in Holodrum Plain, accessible after getting the Flippers. At first, the Old Man will only mutter to himself about someone he is waiting for. After getting the first five Essences of Nature, Link must visit and speak to him once more to recieve the Round Jewel.
The second is a gold-robed Old Man living in a cave on the bottom of the river just below the Gnarled Root Dungeon, only accessable in Summer. At first, he will simply instruct Link to find and slay all four Golden Monsters; once Link has done so, he will reward him with the Red Ring.
The last one can be found in a hidden underground cavern behind the Clock Shop after beating a non-Linked game. This Old Man asks for a secret, and if this secret is retrieved from a linked Oracle of Ages game and given to him, he will upgrade Link's Noble Sword to the Master Sword (or his Wooden Sword to the Noble Sword, if applicable).
Oracle of Ages
Only one Old Man cave is present in Oracle of Ages and is found in Rolling Ridge Base. In the past it is inhabited by a generous Old Man, who would give Link 200 rupees. On the opposite, the Old Man inhabitating it in the present would charge him 50 rupees to repair the door.
Four Swords Adventures
Old Men return in Four Swords Adventures, as spirits who will assist the four Links by giving them hints in form of bizarre remarks. One appears in the Cave of No Return, jealous over Link for having friends, something he himself never had. He informs them that they can make it over the chasm by throwing themselves over. However, it is not a given that they'll give the four Links any hints or usable information, as sometime they will just give bizarre remarks, such as the old man found at the graveyard.
Other Similar Old Men
- Sahasrahla, Aginah, and the Lost Old Man – in A Link to the Past.
- Ulrira – in Link's Awakening.
- Old Man in Kakariko Village – in Ocarina of Time.
- Lake Scientist – in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.
- Old Man Ho Ho – in The Wind Waker.
- Sturgeon – in The Wind Waker and The Minish Cap.
- The Old Men share many similarities with the Wise Men from A Link to the Past. In The Adventure of Link, the daughter of the Old Man Link meets in Rauru calls them "Wise Men". Also in The Adventure of Link, there are nine Old Men: one in each of the eight towns and one keeping the Triforce of Courage in the Great Palace.
- ↑ "IT'S DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE! TAKE THIS" — Old Man (The Legend of Zelda)
- ↑ "DODONGO DISLIKES SMOKE" — Old Man (The Legend of Zelda)
- ↑ "LET'S PLAY MONEY MAKING GAME" — Old Man (The Legend of Zelda)
- ↑ "SHOW THIS TO THE OLD WOMAN" — Old Man (The Legend of Zelda)
- ↑ "BUY MEDICINE BEFORE YOU GO" — Old Woman (The Legend of Zelda)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 "EACH TOWN HAS A WISE MAN. LEARN FROM HIM." — Old Man's Daughter in Rauru (The Adventure of Link)
- ↑ "IN PARAPA DESERT USE THIS MAGIC TO SURVIVE" — Old Man in Rauru (The Adventure of Link)
- ↑ "Soil, time, sun, rain, warmth... I await one who knows many essences..." — Old Man (Oracle of Seasons)
- ↑ "Urrk urrrk... You...have friends... I'm jealous... If you have friends, you can toss 'em across chasms... I never had any friends. You're a lucky guy..." — Old Man spirit (Four Swords Adventures)
- ↑ "I came to visit my departed wife's grave. Then she showed up, saying she came to visit MY grave... I wish someone would tell me which one of us is the ghost and which isn't!" — Old Man spirit (Four Swords Adventures)
- ↑ "An old man with a long cane suddenly appears in the road in front of them. 'Just a humble townsman,' the man says. 'And a friend to you.' [...] The man shuffles forward, waving his cane. 'That's right, young fella!' He smiles, showing a row of crooked, yellow teeth. Then he reaches into his cloak and pulls out something that glimmers like gold. [...] The man places it in Link's hand." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth), pg. 69, 70)
- ↑ "'A key!' he says with a wink. 'A key, that's what she is! Listen, take my advice and don't go through Ruto on your way to Saria. Terrible traffic jam in there.' Before Link can ask any more questions, the man turns and disappears into the tall grass by the roadside." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth), pg. 70)
- ↑ "We must escape and make our way to the Sanctuary!! The Old Man there will help us" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 13)
- ↑ "Yes...and were he successful, the master of evil would marshal his forces against this world again!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 14)
- ↑ "Link? If you are going to battle the wizard Agahnim, do not underestimate him! I sense a powerful evil force is guiding his actions..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. )
- ↑ "Don't worry about me! Find the Master Sword! Link--it's up to you alone!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 16)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese|| ジイサン (Jīsan)
| Old Man|
|French||Vieil Homme||Old Man|
|German||Alter Mann||Old Man|