Young Malon as seen in Ocarina of Time
Human (Oracle of Seasons)
|First appearance||Ocarina of Time|
|Latest appearance||The Minish Cap|
|Voice Actor(s)||Jun Mizusawa|
|Counterpart(s)|| Romani (young)|
Malon is a recurring character in the Zelda series, first introduced in Ocarina of Time. In the majority of games she has appeared in, she is the daughter of the rancher Talon, who owns Lon Lon Ranch. Although she has made appearances in other Zelda games, her character has never been developed as much as in Ocarina of Time, which is also the only game in which Malon appears as an adult.
Portrayed as a kind-hearted and responsible girl, Malon is often seen taking care of Epona, one of the ranch's horses. She also enjoys singing, specifically "Epona's Song," as seen in Ocarina of Time and The Minish Cap.
Appearances and Biography
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Malon is a young girl who loves to sing outside the Hyrule Castle's walls at night. She, along with Ingo, takes care of most of the duties at the ranch due to her father's laziness. Link first meets Malon, who calls him "Fairy Boy", in the Hyrule Castle Market where she was looking for her father. After Link finds Talon asleep and wakes him up using the Cucco that hatched from the Weird Egg Malon gave him, Malon returns to Lon Lon Ranch with her father. When Link goes visit her at the ranch, she introduces him to a young horse named Epona, and teaches the young hero "Epona's Song," a song Malon's mother had composed.
Seven years later, when Link returns to the ranch, he finds out that Ingo had exiled Talon and taken over the ranch. Malon was working for him out of fear of how the animals would be treated if she disobeys his orders. Moreover, since Ingo was planning to give Epona as a present to Ganondorf, Malon was the only one who could tame her. Link then challenges Ingo to a race and defeats him, using Epona to escape from the ranch. Next time Link enters the ranch, he will find Malon has regained control and Ingo has gone back to being "a normal, nice person". Malon tells Link that she had recognized him but wasn't sure until he told her his name. After the ranch girl tells Link how things went back to normal, she thanks the young hero for all his help.
As a mini-game, Malon lets him race around the ranch to compete against her best time. When he's able to beat her time, she rewards him by sending a Cow to his house in Kokiri Forest, which may be used as a reliable and free source of Lon Lon Milk.
With the Mask of Truth, Link can learn from the Gossip Stones that Malon dreams for a knight to take her away. A Gossip Stone in front of the Temple of Time also says that Malon was the original record holder of the Lon Lon Ranch obstacle course, her record being 50 seconds.
Ocarina of Time is the only game in which Malon's mother is mentioned. She is most likely dead by the time of the events of Ocarina of Time, but it is clear she had a great influence on Malon and the others on the ranch. She's the one who composed "Epona's Song," which is said to be liked by everyone on the farm. Talking to Talon while wearing the Gerudo Mask or the Goron Mask causes him to say that it reminds him of his wife, but he quickly retracts that statement.
Oracle of Seasons
Malon plays a small role in the trading sequence in Oracle of Seasons. She lives with her father Talon north of Horon Village, where the two raise Cuccos. When Link first meets her, Talon has gone to climb Mt. Cucco and has left Malon to raise the Cuccos by herself; however, she confesses to the young hero that she does not know much about the hens. Link can help her by giving her the Cuccodex, an information database of Cuccos, in exchange for a Lon Lon Egg. In this game, Malon lives in Holodrum and the concept art depicts her with rounded ears.
Four Swords Adventures
Malon appears in Four Swords Adventures on Near the Fields' first stage, The Field. Upon arriving to the field, the Links encounter Malon standing by herself. She tells the young travelers that she was running errands, but just as she was about to head back to her home, it started raining; furthermore, the Soldiers were moving all the Cannons and even aimed their Bows at the farm girl. Helpless, Malon asks the four Links if she can accompany them until she gets back to Lon Lon Ranch with her father, Talon. During their travel, Malon can be killed by the castle guards, as she has only one Heart Container. Once the Links return her safely to the ranch, she admits that at first she was not sure she could count on them, but soon realized her mistake and acknowledges the Links as "real heroes."
The Minish Cap
Malon makes a small appearance in The Minish Cap. Talon and she were locked out of their house, but Link can help them by using Ezlo's power to go into the house and find the Spare Key, which is inside a pot. Malon thanks Link for his help, and later on in the game, she can be be found in Hyrule Town selling Lon Lon Milk for 100 Rupees alongside a horse that looks like Epona.
When Link speaks to Malon, she will briefly sing "Epona's Song."
In an Ocarina of Time developer's interview posted on Shigesato Itoi's website, 1101.com, script writer Toru Osawa says that Talon and Malon in Ocarina of Time are based on Tarin and Marin in Link's Awakening and it is intended that players who have played the previous game will recognize the reference.
- Malon is based off of Marin from Link's Awakening.
- The symbols on the bottom of her dress spell "Lon" in Hylian.
- Both Malon and Talon wear "Bowser Medallions".
- In the manga, Malon ends up calling Link "Mr. Hero" instead of "Fairy Boy."
- Malon shares similarities with Ilia, who is also the caretaker of Epona in Twilight Princess. They also both lives near or on a farm with their father, as well as they both teach Link how to play "Epona's Song."
- Malo's name, from Twilight Princess, might be a reference to Malon, along with his brother's name Talo which might be a reference to Talon.
- "Ohh... You're a fairy boy from the forest! My name is Malon! My dad owns Lon Lon Ranch!" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "My name's Malon! I'm from the Lon Lon Ranch right up the road." — Malon (Four Swords Adventures)
- "The girl from the ranch asked us to find her father...I wonder where he is?" — Navi (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh yeah, if you'll look for him, I'll give this to you. I've been incubating this egg very carefully... Tee hee!" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh yeah, I have to introduce you to my friend, fairy boy! She's this horse. Her name is Epona. Isn't she cute?" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "My mother composed this song. Isn't it nice? Let's sing together." — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh...a visitor! It's been a long time since we've had a visitor here... Where did you come from? Since Ganondorf came, people in the Castle Town have gone, places have been ruined, and monsters are wandering everywhere. Mr. Ingo is just using the ranch to gain Ganondorf's favor... Everyone seems to be turning evil... But Dad... He was kicked out of the ranch by Mr. Ingo... If I disobey Mr. Ingo, he will treat the horses so badly... So... There's nothing I can do..." — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Epona really liked that song... Only I could tame that horse... Even Mr. Ingo had a hard time... Hee hee hee!" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Thank you very much for the other day... I haven't even asked you your name yet... ........ Really? Link! That's what I thought! You're the fairy boy from the forest! That was years ago! Do you remember me? You do? I was sure it was you because Epona remembered you! Oh, I have to tell you about Mr. Ingo... He was afraid that the Evil King might find out that Epona had been taken away... It really upset him! But one day, all of a sudden, he went back to being a normal, nice person! Now my dad is coming back...I can't believe it, but peace is returning to this ranch! It's all because of you! I owe you so much! Thank you! Thank you, Link!" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "How about trying your skill with Epona on an obstacle course? I'll time you for two laps. It's pretty challenging. If you miss jumping a fence in the proper order, you'll fail. How about it? Do you want to try?" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "They say that Malon of Lon Lon Ranch hopes a knight in shining armor will come and sweep her off her feet someday." — Gossip Stone (Ocarina of Time)
- "They say that Malon set the original record in the obstacle course of Lon Lon Ranch." — Gossip Stone (Ocarina of Time)
- "You... Do you know my mother's song? Everyone really liked that song... My dad... Even Mr. Ingo..." — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey, that reminds me of my wife... On second thought, it doesn't... It doesn't look like her at all!" — Talon (Ocarina of Time)
- "My dad, Talon, went to climb Mt. Cucco, so I have to care for our hens. But there's so much I don't know..." — Malon (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Say! Is that a Cuccodex? That would be a big help... May I have it? Really? Thank you! Take this! It's a Lon Lon Egg. These eggs are all the rage with cute girls!" — Malon (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Like today! I was coming home after running errands but...I couldn't get back. I mean, it started raining, and the castle guards were moving all the cannons... The cannons are really old, and they're not meant to be used... It was really weird." — Malon (Four Swords Adventures)
- "Say, if you're all going on ahead, take me with you! You're friends with the green fairy, so of course it's OK, right? Oh, great! Thanks! My name's Malon! I'm from the Lon Lon Ranch right up the road. It's not very far... Thanks, again!" — Malon (Four Swords Adventures)
- "I hate to admit it, but at first, I wasn't sure I could really count on you guys. But it turns out, you guys are the best! You're real heroes!" — Malon (Four Swords Adventures)
- "I lost my key, and I can't get inside. And the spare key's inside the house!" — Talon (The Minish Cap)
- "Thank you, Link. Now, I can finally get back into my house. Well, I'd better be going. I have a lot to do before I can leave town." — Malon (The Minish Cap)
- "Original Japanese: 「夢を見る島」（ＧＢ版）のときに出てきた、 タリンとマリンという父親と女の子の、 元になる親子も今回登場しますし、 前からゼルダシリーズをやってくれているひとに わかってもらえるといいなあ、と思っています。 これってひょっとしたら、あのときのあれかなって、 考えてもらえたら、ぼくらも嬉しい。 （スクリプトディレクター・大澤 徹さん） English translation by Glitterberri: A father and daughter named Marin and Tarin that were introduced in Link’s Awakening for GameBoy also appeared in this Zelda game. We’re hoping that people who’ve played the Zelda series from the very beginning will recognize them. If you wonder “is this a reference to then?” we’ll be happy." —Toru Osawa (Ocarina of Time Developers Interview (Japanese))
- "Original Japanese: ぼくは、カントリーミュージックが好きなんで、 エミール・ハリスが、なので、どうしても ゲームのなかに「歌姫」が必要だと主張してね。 牧場の娘を歌姫にして、歌姫の歌を歌うと、 牧場の馬が自分になついてくれる、ということにしました。 でも、途中から話のつじつまが合わなくなってきて（笑）、 もともとは牧場でひとりで歌を歌っている設定だったんだけど、 途中からお城へ出張してくれることにして、 ついでに歌も歌ってない、ってことになっちゃった。 そういうの考えるのは、楽しかったですね。 というわけで「音ネタ」は、主にぼくがやってます。 （宮本さん） English translation by Glitterberri: I’ve always been a fan of country music, including people like Emmylou Harris so I insisted on having a songstress in the game. I changed the ranch girl Malon into a songstress, so the horses were attracted to her because of her song. However, this didn’t really suit her dialogue at the time. Originally we had her singing alone in the middle of the ranch, but halfway through we changed it so she went to the castle, but then she didn’t sing anymore. It was kind of fun to consider those kinds of things. So, that was mostly my part in creating the music." —Shigeru Miyamoto (Ocarina of Time Developers Interview (Japanese))
|Names in Other Regions|