From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
|Title||Patron deity of the Zoras|
|Attributes||Guardian deity of the Zoras|
|Game(s)||Ocarina of Time|
Oracle of Ages
Lord Jabu-Jabu is a large whale-like creature that serves as the guardian of the Zora in several games.
Ocarina of Time
Little is known about Lord Jabu-Jabu. In Ocarina of Time, he resides upon an altar in Zora's Fountain, a sacred lake behind Zora's Domain, where he is worshiped by the Zoras and acts as a guardian deity similar to the Great Deku Tree. According to Zora legend, offering a fish to Jabu-Jabu is supposed to bring the bearer happiness.
Lord Jabu-Jabu is apparently very benevolent, and the Zora encourage all visitors to see him. After Ganondorf encountered him, however, Lord Jabu-Jabu began displaying outward symptoms of the curse cast on him; as King Zora cites Ganondorf's interference as a reason the whale may have swallowed Ruto, these possibly include changes in his behavior.
Seven years in the future, Jabu-Jabu is inexplicably absent.
Oracle of Ages
Other Appearances and Cameos
Jabu-Jabu has been compared to the Wind Fish from Link's Awakening, as both are god-like whales or whale-like creatures. He also shares strong similarities with Jabun in The Wind Waker; not only are they both large round fish, but Jabun's theme music is a remix of the dungeon theme for Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly, and according to Hyrule Historia Jabun is implied to be Jabu-Jabu's descendant. Both of these deity-like fish also resemble the Ocean King from Phantom Hourglass on a lesser scale.
- An emblem of the Zora's Sapphire can be seen across Jabu-Jabu's crown.
- ↑ "Of course, you'll go find Ruto. You can pass through here to the altar of Lord Jabu-Jabu." — King Zora (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Zora's Fountain is the source of the river. Lord Jabu-Jabu lives in the fountain." — Zora (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Lord Jabu-Jabu is the patron deity of the Zoras. Princess Ruto is in charge of preparing his meals, morning and night." — Zora (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "According to the "Legend of Zora," the act of offering a fish to Lord Jabu-Jabu will make you happy." — Zora (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "She's inside Lord Jabu-Jabu? That's not possible! Our guardian god, Lord Jabu-Jabu, would never eat my dear Princess Ruto!" — King Zora (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Have you seen Lord Jabu-Jabu? Oh, that's not good. Everybody who comes around here should see Lord Jabu-Jabu at least once! Zora's Fountain is just beyond King Zora's throne. That is where Lord Jabu-Jabu swims." — Zora (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "But since that stranger, Ganondorf, came here, Lord Jabu-Jabu has been a little green around the gills..." — King Zora (Ocarina of Time)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ジャブジャブ様 (Jabu Jabu-sama)|| Sir Jabu Jabu|
"Jabu Jabu" is a Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound of water splashing
|French||Grand Jabu-Jabu||Great Jabu-Jabu|