|Other Media|| Phantom Hourglass manga|
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
|Family||Linebeck III (grandson)|
|Theme Music||File:Linebeck's Theme.ogg|
Linebeck is the captain of the S.S. Linebeck steamboat, which Link uses to travel the World of the Ocean King for the full course of the game. Linebeck travels the world seeking treasure, which seems to be his driving force in everything he does, including accompanying Link. Link meets Linebeck in the Temple of the Ocean King on Mercay Island early in his journey. He is told about Linebeck by Oshus, an old man living on the island, who tells him to go to the port to see him. While the S.S. Linebeck is docked there, its captain has been gone, presumably to the nearby Milk Bar. However, upon entering it, Link discovers that Linebeck had left to the temple for treasure.
Linebeck is then found on the first floor of the temple, trapped by spikes, and he asks Link to help him, saying that he hurt his ankle and could not do it himself. After being rescued, he runs off, telling Link to find the chart he was looking for inside.
Eventually, Link and Linebeck agree to work together, sailing onward to the Ghost Ship, Link to rescue Tetra, and Linebeck to investigate the rumors of treasure on it. After it is revealed that the treasure of the Ghost Ship never existed, Linebeck decides to no longer allow Link to use his ship. However, Oshus, later revealed to be the Ocean King, promises to grant him one wish if he continues to help Link. Linebeck has an immediate change of heart when faced with the fact that he could have any treasure in the world, and quickly moves out to continue the journey.
Near the end of the game, Linebeck and Link board the Ghost Ship after attacking it, though the S. S. Linebeck becomes sunken in the fight. Suddenly, Link is captured by Bellum, the monster who controlled the Ghost Ship and was behind the petrification of Tetra. A terrified Linebeck uses the Phantom Sword dropped by Link to stab the weakened Bellum in one of his tentacles, freeing Link. However, he manages to attack Linebeck and possess him, turning him into a monstrous knight akin to a Phantom, and forces Link to fight him. Link eventually triumphs, defeating Bellum without injuring Linebeck, freeing him. Linebeck seems disgusted with himself for attacking Link, even though he had the excuse of being possessed. However, Link and Ciela forgive him.
During the end of the game, Oshus in his true form as the Ocean King, asks Linebeck to tell him what his promised wish was. Instead of treasure as the others were expecting, Linebeck's only wish is to have his previously sunken boat fixed. This shocks the others, but his wish is granted, and the S. S. Linebeck is restored. The final scene of the game is shows Linebeck's boat sailing away and tooting its horn.
His grave later appears in Spirit Tracks in the re-established kingdom of Hyrule, revealing that he also came to the new land and made a family there. His grandson, Linebeck III, appears in the game as the spitting image of his grandfather.
People on the islands Link visits seem to have a respect or admiration for Linebeck, calling him brave and wishing to travel the seas like him. However, Link and Ciela see a different side of him, different from the persona he puts up as a brave adventurer. Instead, Linebeck shows himself to be for the most part a coward, running away from trouble and staying with his boat instead of going into the dungeons with Link.
Ciela and Linebeck also constantly fight throughout the course of the game. The two rarely call each other by their real names, instead using insulting nicknames, and are almost cruel to each other at points. However, by the end of the game, they have reluctantly gained respect for each other.
Relationship with Jolene
Because he travels with Linebeck, Link meets Jolene, a pirate girl who travels the seas to get revenge on him. When she spots the S. S. Linebeck, she immediately attacks and ambushes it, fighting Link while Linebeck hides in a crate to watch. Eventually, Linebeck tells Link how he met Jolene. At one point in the past, he had accidentally saved her from a monster that he was trying to escape. Because of this he and Jolene became friends and sailed together for a while, until Linebeck stole some of her treasure and ran away, which caused Jolene to seek revenge. After a final match, Jolene tells Link that he has eyes like the man who captivated her and tells Linebeck to take notes, which hints at an emotional attachment she holds for Linebeck.
- The Phantom Hourglass official game guide refers to Linebeck's possessed form as "Bellumbeck." That name is also present in the game's code, implying that developers forgot to insert the boss's name when the battle starts.
- In Tri Force Heroes, Linebeck's Uniform appears as an Outfit, allowing the Links to view the content of Treasure Chests before opening them.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "Pssh! You're still strong, boy in green. I think that what you're attempting to do is crazy, and yet... There is something about your stubborn personality that...draws me. The one who captivated me so long ago had that same look in his eyes. ......... Boy in green, speak to the man in the crate for me. Advise him that he should take notes, for he might learn something." — Jolene (Phantom Hourglass)
- "And that's where you'll discover the treasure! Best of luck to you! HA HA! -- Linebeck Senior" — Linebeck's Letter (Spirit Tracks)
- "The S.S. Linebeck came equipped with this average anchor." — N/A (Phantom Hourglass)
- "So you're trying to get your mitts on the treasure! ... If that's what this is about, I'm on board!" — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "There is a port to the east of here. A sailor by the name of Linebeck should be there. He'll be willing to tell you more about the Ghost Ship." — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "What? You're searching for Linebeck? The captain usually drops anchor at the milk bar, but I haven't seen him in days. Perhaps the bar owner knows where Linebeck has vanished to." — Mercay Island Resident (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Looking for Linebeck? Sure, I know him! And that chair there knew him recently! Linebeck just dashed out, saying he was off to the Temple of the Ocean King. I tried to stop that crazy fellow. But off he went to the north side of our isle." — Mercay Tavern Owner (Phantom Hourglass)
- "I know you're a kid and all, but try to listen up! I'm trapped in here, and I don't know what to do... Normally, I'd free myself without any problem, but... I sprained my ankle and I can't move. Will you help?" — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "This is some kind of sick joke, old man! The treasure! What about all the TREASURE! That was the only reason I put my life on the line! And now there's no treasure? Well, I...QUIT!" — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "No, no. I would never ask you to do this for free. If you help us defeat Bellum... I will grant you one wish. What do you say to that?" — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "HEY! Quit standing around, kid! The Ocean King is in trouble! Ship out, kid! Anchors aweigh! I said, MOVE IT!" — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Are you OK? Linebeck! You were possessed by Bellum!" — Ciela (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Oh, kid, I mean... Link! I'm sorry! I know I was possessed by that monster... But to think that I..." — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Shush, Linebeck! If you hadn't stood up to Bellum when you did... Who knows what might have happened to us!" — Ciela (Phantom Hourglass)
- "I have to make good on a promise I made to you. I grant you one wish." — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Well, I guess, if I have to... If you insist... Can you bring back my ship? The one that sank?" — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "What? That's it? You know, even if you ask for treasure later, that's it!" — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "But rumors that the Ghost Ship has returned have all but shut down our harbor! Except for one brave soul who recently docked his ship, that is." — Mercay Island Resident (Phantom Hourglass)
- "What are you doing? Hurry up! We'd be done already if I was the one out there! But someone needs to stay here and look after the ship. A shame, really!" — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Phew! Say what you will about that girl, she KNOWS how to imitate a pirate! "Linebeck, Professional Crate Inspector!" Kind of catchy, don't you think? Here's a tip for giving that crazy girl the heave-ho for me, Link!" — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Well, if I'm being totally honest here, I was just trying to get away, see. I sort of lost control of my ship, and it just happened to strike the beast... So after that, Jolene and I traveled together for a time, but... Pretty soon, I realized that the two of us were from different worlds. Yeah... It's kind of embarrassing, but she was a LOT tougher than I. Plus, I just wasn't cut out for the rough-and-tumble life of a pirate! Yeah, I always preferred the laid-back style of just sneaking off with treasure. Anyway, Jolene and I started seeing less and less of each other... I knew I had to end it, and well...you know... Well... I made off with some of her treasure..." — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "There is something about your stubborn personality that...draws me. The one who captivated me so long ago had that same look in his eyes." — Jolene (Phantom Hourglass)
- "What's more, he took my treasure." (Phantom Hourglass Manga (Viz Media), pg. 148)
- "What kind of a woman gets so mad about some stolen squid jerky?" (Phantom Hourglass Manga (Viz Media), pg. 149)
- "Task 4: Defeat Bellumbeck" (Phantom Hourglass Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 3)
- "Bellumbeck" — Phantom Hourglass Text Dump, Zelda Legends, retrieved August 13, 2015.