|Family|| Linebeck II (implied son)|
Linebeck III (grandson)
|Theme Music||File:Linebeck's Theme.ogg|
Overview and Personality
He is the captain of the steamboat, the S.S. Linebeck, which Link uses to travel the Great Sea for the full course of the game. Linebeck travels the world seeking treasure, which seems to be his driving force in everything he does, including accompanying Link. People on the islands he visited seem to have a respect or admiration for him, calling him brave and wishing to travel the seas like him. However, Link and Ciela, while journeying, see a different side of him, different from the persona he puts up as a brave adventurer (at one point he claims to go through two dungeons a day before breakfast, though nobody seems to believe him). Instead Linebeck shows himself to be for the most part a coward, running away from trouble and staying with his boat instead of going into the dungeons with Link.
Relationship with Jolene
Because he travels with Linebeck, Link meets Jolene, a pirate girl (described as "crazy" by Linebeck) who travels the seas to get revenge on him. When she spots the S. S. Linebeck she immediately attacks and ambushes it, fighting Link while Linebeck hides in a crate to watch, rewarding Link after he wins. Eventually Linebeck tells Link how he met Jolene: At one point in the past, he had accidentally saved her from a monster that he was trying to escape. Because of this he and Jolene became friends and sailed together for a while, until Linebeck stole some of her treasure and ran away, which caused Jolene to seek revenge. Linebeck said it "wasn't even a that great of a treasure" and Jolene still sought revenge, even, after the final match, saying that Link had "eyes like the man who captivated" her and told Linebeck to "take notes," which hints at an unrequited emotional attachment she holds for Linebeck.
Link meets Linebeck in the Temple of the Ocean King on Mercay Island early in his journey. He is told about Linebeck by Oshus, an old man living on the island, who tells him to go to the port to see him. While the S. S. Linebeck is docked there, its captain has been gone, presumably to the nearby Milk Bar. However, upon entering it, Link discovers that Linebeck had left to the temple for treasure.
Linebeck is then found on the first floor of the temple, trapped by spikes, and he asks Link to help him, saying that he hurt his ankle and couldn't do it himself. After being rescued he runs off, telling Link to find the chart he was looking for inside, then leaves. Link's fairy, Ciela, described him as a coward, which Linebeck tried to dispute.
Eventually Link and Linebeck agree to work together, sailing onwards to the Ghost Ship, Link to rescue his friend, Tetra, and Linebeck to investigate the rumors of treasure on it. After it is revealed that the treasure of the Ghost Ship didn't ever exist, Linebeck decides to no longer allow Link to use his ship. However, Oshus, later revealed to be the Ocean King, promises to grant him one wish if he continues to help Link. Linebeck has an immediate change of heart when faced with the fact that he could have any treasure in the world, and quickly moves out to continue the journey.
Ciela and Linebeck constantly fight throughout the course of the game. The two rarely call each other by their real names, instead using insulting nicknames, and are almost cruel to each other at points. However, by the end of the game, they have reluctantly gained respect for each other.
Near the end of the game, Linebeck and Link board the Ghost Ship after attacking it, though the S. S. Linebeck becomes sunken in the fight. Suddenly, Link is captured by Bellum, the monster who controlled the Ghost Ship and was behind the petrification of Tetra. A terrified Linebeck uses the Phantom Sword dropped by Link to stab the weakened Bellum in one of his tentacles, freeing Link. However, though Bellum remains injured, he manages to attack Linebeck and possess him, turning him into a monstrous knight akin to a Phantom, and forces Link to fight him as the final boss. Link eventually triumphs, defeating Bellum without injuring Linebeck, freeing him. Linebeck seems disgusted with himself for attacking Link, even though he had the excuse of being possessed. However, Link and Ciela forgive him.
At the conclusion of the game, Oshus, in his true form as the Ocean King, asks Linebeck to tell him what his promised wish was. Instead of treasure as the others were expecting, Linebeck's only wish is to have his previously sunken boat fixed. This shocks the others, but his wish is granted, and the S. S. Linebeck restored.
Oshus opens the door to Link and Tetra's world, and soon the heroes find themselves on the deck of the Ghost Ship. Tetra's pirates find them and say that they were only on the Ghost Ship for about ten minutes and that their entire adventure was just a dream. Tetra tries to convince the pirates otherwise, while Link spots something on the sea and happily runs to the side of the boat. The final scene of the game is of Linebeck's boat sailing away and tooting its horn, proving that the adventure was not a dream after all.
His grave later appears in Spirit Tracks in the re-established kingdom of Hyrule, revealing that he, too, came to the new land and made a family there (his grandson, Linebeck III, appears in the game as the spitting image of his grandfather) before his death.
- Linebeck's possession and transformation into a Phantom-like knight by Bellum can be compared to Nabooru's brainwash and transformation into an Iron Knuckle by the Twinrova in Ocarina of Time.
- On one occasion in the official Phantom Hourglass Prima guide, Linebeck's possessed form is referred to as "Bellumbeck". This name has been adopted by many fans.
- Also, "Bellumbeck" is present in the game's text dump, implying that developers forgot to insert the boss' name when the battle starts, like how other bosses' names are shown when their respective battles start.
- In Himekawa's manga, it is said that the treasure Linebeck stole from Jolene was just a baby squid.
Link vs Possessed Linebeck
- "The S.S. Linebeck came equipped with this average anchor." — N/A (Phantom Hourglass)
- "So you're trying to get your mitts on the treasure! ... If that's what this is about, I'm on board!" — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "But rumors that the Ghost Ship has returned have all but shut down our harbor! Except for one brave soul who recently docked his ship, that is." — Mercay Island Resident (Phantom Hourglass)
- "On a typical day, I blaze through one or two such temples...before breakfast!" — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "What are you doing? Hurry up! We'd be done already if I was the one out there! But someone needs to stay here and look after the ship. A shame, really!" — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Oh-no-oh-no-oh-no! It's HER! Jolene! She's CRAZY! She's crazier than a rabid squid!" — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Phew! Say what you will about that girl, she KNOWS how to imitate a pirate! "Linebeck, Professional Crate Inspector!" Kind of catchy, don't you think? Here's a tip for giving that crazy girl the heave-ho for me, Link!" — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Well, if I'm being totally honest here, I was just trying to get away, see. I sort of lost control of my ship, and it just happened to strike the beast... So after that, Jolene and I traveled together for a time, but... Pretty soon, I realized that the two of us were from different worlds. Yeah... It's kind of embarrassing, but she was a LOT tougher than I. Plus, I just wasn't cut out for the rough-and-tumble life of a pirate! Yeah, I always preferred the laid-back style of just sneaking off with treasure. Anyway, Jolene and I started seeing less and less of each other... I knew I had to end it, and well...you know... Well... I made off with some of her treasure..." — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Ha ha! Anyway, ever since, Jolene has been trying to get her revenge on me! The thing is, it wasn't even that great of a treasure. I didn't think it was worth so much that she'd follow me around like this! That is one persistent woman, let me tell you." — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "There is something about your stubborn personality that...draws me. The one who captivated me so long ago had that same look in his eyes." — Jolene (Phantom Hourglass)
- "There is a port to the east of here. A sailor by the name of Linebeck should be there. He'll be willing to tell you more about the Ghost Ship." — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "What? You're searching for Linebeck? The captain usually drops anchor at the milk bar, but I haven't seen him in days. Perhaps the bar owner knows where Linebeck has vanished to." — Mercay Island Resident (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Looking for Linebeck? Sure, I know him! And that chair there knew him recently! Linebeck just dashed out, saying he was off to the Temple of the Ocean King. I tried to stop that crazy fellow. But off he went to the north side of our isle." — Mercay Tavern Owner (Phantom Hourglass)
- "I know you're a kid and all, but try to listen up! I'm trapped in here, and I don't know what to do... Normally, I'd free myself without any problem, but... I sprained my ankle and I can't move. Will you help?" — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "This is some kind of sick joke, old man! The treasure! What about all the TREASURE! That was the only reason I put my life on the line! And now there's no treasure? Well, I...QUIT!" — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "No, no. I would never ask you to do this for free. If you help us defeat Bellum... I will grant you one wish. What do you say to that?" — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "HEY! Quit standing around, kid! The Ocean King is in trouble! Ship out, kid! Anchors aweigh! I said, MOVE IT!" — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Are you OK? Linebeck! You were possessed by Bellum!" — Ciela (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Oh, kid, I mean... Link! I'm sorry! I know I was possessed by that monster... But to think that I..." — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Shush, Linebeck! If you hadn't stood up to Bellum when you did... Who knows what might have happened to us!" — Ciela (Phantom Hourglass)
- "I have to make good on a promise I made to you. I grant you one wish." — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Well, I guess, if I have to... If you insist... Can you bring back my ship? The one that sank?" — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "What? That's it? You know, even if you ask for treasure later, that's it!" — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "The time for you to return to your world is near... The door to your world is about to open." — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Ten minutes?! You've got to be kidding! Do you know what we have been through?!" — Tetra (Phantom Hourglass)
|Names in Other Regions|