From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
|Game(s)||The Legend of Zelda|
A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
The Minish Cap
|Non-canon Appearances||Super Smash Bros. Melee|
|Effective Weapons||Sword |
The Like Like is a voracious and gelatinous tube-like creature that usually resides in wet and dark places, but can be occasionally found in dry areas. It is present in nearly every Legend of Zelda game. This creature will suck victims into its wide, round mouth, often robbing them of their Shields before it spits them out.
Like Likes range from being yellow to a pinkish color. Their bodies consist of circular, gelatinous layers. The most notable feature of these creatures is that they have a taste for Shields, a trait similar to that of the Pikit. Unique to Ocarina of Time, Like Likes may also steal Goron and Zora Tunics if Link happens to be wearing whichever one, though the young hero can still swap his equipment before he is spit out. To consume a shield or other equipment, Like Likes will suck in and engulf Link, constricting him inside of their gelatinous "mouths" until they can remove Link’s equipment, after which they'll spit him out without his equipment and avoid him until they finish eating. In some cases, Link must struggle to get free. Like Likes from Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks will literally suck in Link like vacuums. Even if Link has no Shield, Like Likes will continue to attack Link, dealing minimal damage in the process. In fact, Like Likes will only cause physical harm to Link in the A Link to the Past GBA re-release and their 3D appearances.
In The Legend of Zelda and later games in the series, Like Likes cannot take certain Shields, especially if that Shield has only one of its type, for obvious reasons. These include Link’s original shield from The Legend of Zelda (which Link will revert to when his Magical Shield is eaten), some incarnations of the Mirror Shield, and the Shield of Antiquity. In some games, including The Legend of Zelda, the Oracle series, and the DS titles, once a Like Like swallows a Shield, the item is gone for good, necessitating the purchase a new one. Contrarily, in every other game, the same Like Like that swallows one of Link’s shields will drop it if slain quickly enough. 
Like Likes seem to be one of the most versatile creatures in the Zelda universe. They have been known to appear in a number of places, from caves, to forests, to dungeons. In Majora’s Mask, they are even seen moving across the ocean floor. In their most recent appearances, from The Minish Cap and on, they will even burrow underground, waiting for prey to be in close proximity. Some Like Likes in Spirit Track hide in barrels, jars, and chests, the perfect trap for unsuspecting adventurers. In the GBA A Link to the Past they even have the ability to fly away into the air after stealing a shield to escape.
|Like Like (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
||Appears in caves, dungeons, etc. Don’t let them grab you: they’ll eat your shield if they hold you long enough. Swing your sword to escape.|
Link can always use his Sword, Bow, and other weapons when facing a Like Like, but he can also stun it with Boomerangs and the Hookshot. Like Likes can be defeated in a single strike with the Biggoron Sword. An effective method of dealing with these foes introduced in Phantom Hourglass and seen in Spirit Tracks was to toss a Bomb into the Like Like's mouth as it tried to vacuum Link in.
- Pikit is known as a Like Like in Japan, despite normal Like Likes appearing alongside Pikits in the GBA version.
- The Like Like Ring from Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons transforms Link into a Like Like when worn, but it serves no other purpose.
- According to the Like Like trophy in Super Smash Bros. Melee, the name "Like Like" is derived from an ancient Hylian proverb, "Shield-eaters and world leaders have many likes alike".
Art from The Legend of Zelda
Like Like in Majora's Mask
A Like Like in the GBA version of A Link to the Past
Like Likes outside the Dark World Shield Shop in the GBA re-release of A Link to the Past
Like Like from The Minish Cap eating Link's shield
- ↑ "A tube-like monster that has a soft spot for magic shields - he eats them up" (The Legend of Zelda manual, pg. 37)
- ↑ "Like Like An enemy that eats shields and certain clothes. Beat it quickly to get your gear back!" — Navi (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Like Likes/This huge, pulsating sponge swallows Link whole and munches his Shield. Use your Sword to win back the Shield." (The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo of America, inc.), pg. 96)
- ↑ "Beware of jiggling pots and chests as well -- they're bound to contain Like Likes!" (The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks Premiere Edition (Prima Games), pg. 31)
- ↑ "Like Like/These worm-like foes will suck Link up if he gets too close, so toss bombs at them from afar instead. If bombs aren't an option, use the boomerang to stun Like Likes before moving close to attack with Link's sword." (The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks Premiere Edition (Prima Games), pg. 31)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ライクライク (Raiku Raiku)||Like Like|