From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
A map of the Lanayru Province from Twilight Princess
|Game(s)|| Twilight Princess|
|Inhabitant(s)|| Twilight Princess:|
Lanayru (Light Spirit)
|Item(s)|| Twilight Princess:|
|Related place(s)|| Twilight Princess:|
The Lanayru Province is part of the province system in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, one of several provinces that make up the kingdom of Hyrule. The province is named after its original protector from the Era of the Goddess Hylia, the great Lightning Dragon known as Lanayru. It is later protected by the Light Spirit of the same name in the Era of Twilight and houses the capital of Hyrule as well as the castle.
The Lanayru Province is the third province visited during Link's journey. The young hero must first unfreeze Zora's Domain to return the water flow to Zora's River and thus refill Lake Hylia. Having done so, Link then visits the Spirit Spring to collect the sixteen Tears of Light in order to return light to the province. Later on in the game, after Link takes the dying Prince Ralis to Kakariko Village and receives the Zora Armor from Queen Rutela, he must dive to the bottom of Lake Hylia and enter the Lakebed Temple, obtaining the third and last Fused Shadow upon the defeat of Morpheel.
Geography and Notable Locations
The Lanayru Province is located to the north of the Faron Province, east of the Desert Province, southeast of the Peak Provnce and west of the Eldin Provnce. It is situated at the furthest northern part of Hyrule and takes up a large majority of the kingdom, housing the capital at the center.
- Northern section of Hyrule Field
- Lake Hylia
- Zora's Domain
In the Era of the Goddess Hylia and the Sky Era, the Lanayru Province is protected by a great Thunder Dragon, Lanayru, who was ordered to protect the province by the goddess herself. It is the home of an ancient race of advanced robots whose origins are unknown. Over the course of several hundred years, it was stripped bare of its natural greenery, beauty, resources, and even all good life due to a rapid change in the area's climate, transforming most of the province into a barren desert that would come to be known as the Lanayru Desert. In the present, its former protector Lanayru has disappeared from the deserted province and the Ancient Robots have long since died out, their remains scattered everywhere. All of its once formerly functioning buildings have fallen into disuse, many filling with sand and monsters, and all use of technology and electricity has completely declined. The region has since become home to an array of hostile creatures that thrive in its harsh conditions. The only thing still active from its once prosperous era of advancement are the many Timeshift Stones scattered throughout the province, which allow one to see a limited section of the land in its former lush and green days. The western section of the province once lead into an ocean, but that too fell victim to severe climate change and became the Lanayru Sand Sea.
Geography and Notable Locations
The Lanayru Province is located to the west of the Faron Province and southwest of the Eldin Province. It is home to two major dungeons and a mini-dungeon.
- Lanayru Mine
- Lanayru Desert
- Lanayru Gorge
- Lanayru Sand Sea
- ↑ "The Surface is divided into three regions. Each region is named after one of the dragons, Faron, Eldin, and Lanayru, who protect the Sacred Flames." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 74)
- ↑ "Hyrule Castle, located in Lanayru Province, sits at the heart of the world. The provinces known as Lanayru, Faron, Eldin, and Ordona bear the same names as they did in the Era of the Goddess Hylia. They are protected by the Light Spirits who share their names." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 116)
- ↑ "That is Lanayru, the Thunder Dragon. As the great protector of Lanayru Province, he has power over thunder." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "A report, Master Link. We have arrived at Lanayru Mine. This arid region was transformed into a desert over the course of several hundred years. My projections show that Zelda must have traveled through this area." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "We have arrived at Lanayru Desert. The terrain in this area changed dramatically as climate forces rapidly turned it into a desert." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Spanish||Región de Lanayru||Region of Lanayru|
|French||Terres de Lanelle||Land of Lanelle|
|Italian||Terre di Ranel||Land of Ranel|