It has been suggested that this article be moved to Professor.
|The Lake Scientist|
The Lake Scientist from Ocarina of Time
|Game(s)|| Ocarina of Time|
|Non-canon Appearances|| Ocarina of Time manga|
Majora's Mask manga
|Era||Era of the Hero of Time|
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, the Lake Scientist is an eccentric scientist who lives in the Lakeside Laboratory located above Lake Hylia. He is a chemist, putting his knowledge into medicinal practice at his laboratory. When Link first meets the scientist, he mentions a mutual friendship with Granny, who is the old lady who runs the Potion Shop of Kakariko Village.
The pool in his laboratory is eight meters deep; he will watch Link dive and make remarks based on the depth he reaches. If Link can touch the bottom of the pool, he will give him a Piece of Heart and tell him he is the best diver in the world. Link needs a Golden Scale to do this, however.
The Lake Scientist is a part of the Biggoron's Sword Trading Sequence. After an Eyeball Frog is given to Link by King Zora, he must rush down to the laboratory and give it to the scientist. At first, he excitedly thinks the frog is for making fried eyeballs, which he finds delicious, but Link corrects him and explains he brought the frog because of its medicinal properties. The Lake Scientist creates a solution of Eyedrops for Biggoron from the Eyeball Frog.
In Majora's Mask, he is referred to as the Professor, and works at the Marine Research Laboratory as a marine scientist at the Great Bay. He takes care of Lulu's Eggs by keeping them in a special tank until they hatch. The Professor says that if the Zora Eggs are not kept in the specially-made aquarium, they may die, due to the abnormal weather patterns causing a rise in the ocean's temperature. He also raises Fish to deal with the shortage resulting from the rising temperature in the ocean, feeding them other Fish to do so, which does not sit well with some Zoras.
Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask Manga
湖 (Mizuumi) is the Japanese word for lake.
- Dr. Mizuumi's name is misspelled with one U (Mizumi) in the Ocarina of Time manga.
- The Lake Scientist resembles Dr. Borville in Twilight Princess, indicating a possible connection. However, Borville seems to hate Zoras, unlike the Scientist, who helps and lives near Zoras in both of the aforementioned games.
- "Hello there, son. I'm researching the process of making medicine by mixing Lake Hylia's water with various unusual compounds. Perhaps you've met that old lady from the potion shop...she is like a student of mine... Ho ho ho!" — Lake Scientist (Ocarina of Time)
- "You may not have noticed, but I've been watching you. You dove 1 meter just now. But I wouldn't call that a real dive." — Lake Scientist (Ocarina of Time)
- "You may not have noticed, but I've been watching you. You dove 4 meters just now. Still not deep enough!" — Lake Scientist (Ocarina of Time)
- "You may not have noticed, but I've been watching you. You dove 6 meters just now. You should be able to dive deeper!" — Lake Scientist (Ocarina of Time)
- "You may not have noticed, but I've been watching you. You touched the bottom just now. Fantastic! I'll give this to you!" — Lake Scientist (Ocarina of Time)
- "Your diving is the best in the world. Why don't you dive to the bottom of Lake Hylia?" — Lake Scientist (Ocarina of Time)
- "These eyeballs are so delicious! Tonight I will cook fried eyeballs for the first time in a long time! Uhoy hoy hoo houy hoy! Such great stuff! Please say thank you to King Zora! Eh? What? These are for making Biggoron's Eye Drops? Oh, how disappointing! You should have said so in the first place!" — Lake Scientist (Ocarina of Time)
- "OK...Take that egg straight to the professor at the Marine Research Lab." — Evan (Majora's Mask)
- "But if they aren't kept in this aquarium until then...they may die. The reason for this is that the recent abnormal weather has caused the ocean temperature to rise in this region. Zora eggs are very sensitive to changes in the temperature. The only way the eggs can hatch is if they're placed in this aquarium water, which I set aside for them long ago." — The Professor (Majora's Mask)
- "With the ocean the way it is, the professor at the lab has started raising fish. See, we don't catch fish anymore. We eat them after raising them... It's like cultivating vegetables. I'm thankful and all, but he feeds fish to his "crops." Feeding fish to fish...That's a scary thought." — Toto (Majora's Mask)
- The Legend of Zelda, Manga Ocarina of Time: Part 2, Bonus Story 2, Vizkids Publishing
- The Legend of Zelda Manga, Majora's Mask, Vizkids Publishing
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||みずうみ博士||Lake Water Expert|
|French||Scientifique du Lac|