King of Red Lions
From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
|The King of Red Lions|
|First appearance||The Wind Waker|
|Latest appearance||Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
The King of Red Lions is a talking sailboat that Link meets after he is tossed out into the Great Sea upon being caught by the Helmaroc King in the Forsaken Fortress. It is with this boat that he is able to move from one island to another on the Great Sea. Good-spirited and filled with wisdom, the King of Red Lions is one of Link's greatest allies. The boat speaks to him and explains what is currently happening and what he needs to do next.
The boat can be operated with multiple items in Link's impressive arsenal. The Sail is the most commonly used of them. When attached to the mast, it allows for easy sailing to the prevailing direction of the wind. The Grappling Hook can be used with the salvage crane to retrieve items from the bottom of the Great Sea, and Bombs will give the ship a mighty cannon to fire at enemies.
Later in the game, it is revealed that the boat is operated magically by Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule, the king of Hyrule who lives on under the sea.
The King can speak the ancient Hylian tongue, and often does so on Link's behalf. On the second quest, Link can understand the ancient Hylian, and the text will appear as English. The first quest, however, shows unintelligible symbols when it is spoken.
The King of Red Lions is seen at the end of the game, lifeless, as the King himself has died. The boat does not reappear in Phantom Hourglass, although a very similar ship known as the Prince of Red Lions does appear with an Impostor Link sailing it.
|Link & the King of Red Lions (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
|| Birthplace: Outset Island|
Favored Hand: Left
The Hero of Wind, Link uses the Wind Waker to control the wind and sail the seas on his mysterious boat (which is actually the King of Hyrule).
Surprisingly, he seems to have an unnatural interest in figurines and has at last completed his collection! He is now the master of the Nintendo Gallery.
- The symbol that appears on the sail that Link buys and uses also seems to appear on parts of the salvage crane and the cannon.
- The King of Red Lions has no pupils at the end of the game and his eyes faded in color. This is most likely due to the king himself dying.
- The Japanese mainland resembles the physical profile shape of the King of Red Lions.
- Similar to the various enemies of The Wind Waker if the King of Red Lions is struck with any of Link's weapons, he will turn red, despite being a major ally.
King of Red Lions' image on the Sliding Puzzle
- ↑ "Did I startle you? I suppose that is only natural. As wide as the world is, I am the only boat upon it who can speak the words of men. I am the King of Red Lions. Do not fear... I am not your enemy." — King of Red Lions (The Wind Waker)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||赤獅子の王 (Aka Shishi no Ou)|