From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
|First appearance||Zelda animated series|
|Latest appearance||Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon|
|Family|| Princess Zelda (daughter) |
Duke Onkled (cousin)
|Voice Actor(s)||Colin Fox|
King Harkinian is a King of Hyrule and father of Princess Zelda. He appears several times early in the life of the Zelda franchise: in the Valiant Comics, the animated series, and the video games Link: The Faces of Evil and Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon for the Philips CD-i.
King Harkinian makes an appearance in the Legend of Zelda animated series. In the show, he is depicted to be a tall, rotund king bearing a snow white beard and a gold crown. Personality-wise, he is a benevolent and charismatic King of Hyrule, wishing to build his citizens a waterpark that they can all enjoy. Deeply loved and cared by his daughter, the king seems to have trouble remembering certain things, and is somewhat dimwitted as a father. However, he is still loyal to his country and also refuses to willingly give up the Triforce of Wisdom to Ganon, even though he fears of the Underworld ruler.
King Harkinian often gives Link tips on wooing his daughter, Princess Zelda, such as in "Sing for the Unicorn", where he tells Link to give Zelda flowers in order to have a better chance of getting a kiss from her. The king only appears in four episodes out of the twelve: "The White Knight", "Sing for the Unicorn", "That Sinking Feeling", and "Fairies in the Spring." In all of his episode appearances, he only plays a small role, in which two of those he gets kidnapped, prompting Link and Princess Zelda to rescue him.
The Legend of Zelda comic
In the Legend of Zelda comic published by Valiant Comics, King Harkinian's appearance is similar to that of the animated series. He only appears in "Missing in Action" and Queen of Hearts, and plays a rather minor role. He lives in North Palace with his daughter, Princess Zelda, and he seems to be good friends with Seline, the queen of the neighboring kingdom of Calatia.
In Missing in Action, King Harkinian is the one that informs Link that Zelda has left Hyrule with the Triforce of Wisdom to keep it safe from Ganon's clutches, and he urges the young hero to find her and bring her back. In Queen of Hearts, Queen Seline goes to North Palace and meets up with King Harkinian after 16 years, where the two of them spend most of the day together catching up.
Philips CD-i Games
Harkinian also appears in the video games Link: The Faces of Evil and Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon. Although not having much of a role in The Faces of Evil, he plays a bigger role in The Wand of Gamelon when he leaves Hyrule to help his cousin, Duke Onkled, whose lands of Gamelon are being attacked by the evil forces of Ganon. After a month of absence, Princess Zelda, Harkinian's daughter, decides to go to Gamelon to find her father. It is later revealed that Onkled betrayed his cousin, had him imprisoned, and sided with Ganon in exchange of power. Link was sealed into a mirror by Ganon with the use of magic. Zelda then manages to free both her father and Link, and Onkled is made to "scrub all the floors in Hyrule".
These games are often used to create "YouTube Poop" remix videos, and Harkinian is often used as a character in them. Most of his dialogue has become an internet meme, with such phrases as "Dinner," "My boy" (often phoneticized as "Mah boi"), and "Scrub all the floors in Hyrule" being especially popular.
- ↑ "Eh? What? Oh, yes, hot. Most certainly. Still, my Royal Water Park should be completed soon, then all the kingdom will have some place to cool off and have fun." — King Harkinian (The Legend of Zelda, Episode Fairies in the Spring )
- ↑ "Adventurer! Adventurer...didn't we have one of those around someplace?" — King Harkinian (The Legend of Zelda, Episode Sing for the Unicorn )
- ↑ "You won't get away with this, you know. No, Zelda and um, oh, Link--yes, yes that's his name--will um, uh, rescue me." — King Harkinian (The Legend of Zelda, Episode Sing for the Unicorn )
- ↑ "Eh? Oh, yes. I forgot. But she'll be back for the opening of my water park." — King Harkinian (The Legend of Zelda, Episode Fairies in the Spring )
- ↑ "We may not have a chance. Once Ganon discovers the, uh, Triforce isn't here, he'll be mad..." — King Harkinian (The Legend of Zelda, Episode That Sinking Feeling )
- ↑ "No. You need to take flowers, THEN you might succeed. Yes, girls are crazy about flowers. [...] Good luck, my boy!" — King Harkinian (The Legend of Zelda, Episode Sing for the Unicorn )
- ↑ "We must rescue my father." — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda, Episode Sing for the Unicorn )
- ↑ "Please, Triforce, my father has been captured, but we don't know who did it or where he is!" — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda, Episode Fairies in the Spring )
- ↑ "Seline...? Seline! It's been...SIXTEEN YEARS! You haven't changed a bit! No...you're even more beautiful!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 3)
- ↑ "My daughter Zelda has taken the Triforce of Wisdom and left Hyrule forever! Zelda said that the only way to keep the Triforce of Wisdom safe from Ganon is for her to take it far away and never return! [...] I could not stop her! [...] You must find her and convince her to return, Link!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 2 [Missing in Action])
- ↑ "Oh...can't that wait, darling? I'm spending the day with Seline. It's been sixteen years, you know! So much to catch up on!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 3)
- ↑ King Harkinian - Chewiki,