Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule
From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
|Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule|
|Title(s)|| King of Hyrule|
King of Red Lions
|Game(s)||The Wind Waker|
|Non-canon Appearances||Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
|Era|| Era Without a Hero|
Era of the Great Sea
Princess Zelda / Tetra
Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule (Pronounced /ˈdæf nɛs/ /noʊ hæn sɛn/ /ˈhаɪ ruːl/, DAF-nes noh-HAN-sen HEYE-rool) is a prominent character in The Wind Waker.
Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule was once the king of Hyrule during the Era Without a Hero. When the goddesses unleashed the Great Flood, he chose to remain in Hyrule which was to be sealed by the goddesses at the bottom of the sea. He split the Triforce of Wisdom into two parts and instructed the Princess of that era to keep one piece and flee to the mountaintops with her servants.
Hundreds of years later, Ganondorf managed to circumvent the Goddesses' seal and reach the surface of the Great Sea. In response, the Goddesses awakened the king from his seal, who assumed the form of a boat and rechristened himself as the King of Red Lions. In this new form, Daphnes began searching the Great Sea, looking for a hero to defeat Ganon and the descendant of the royal family. After Link is captured by the Helmaroc King and thrown out to sea, the King of Red Lions rescues him and aids the young hero in his quest.
After Link fails to defeat Ganondorf in the Forsaken Fortress with the newly-obtained Master Sword, he, along with the King of Red Lions and Tetra, retreat to the underwater vestige of Hyrule, where the King of Red Lions reveals his identity as the former King of Hyrule and that he magically operates the boat to guide Link.
Daphnes reveals to Tetra that she is the heir to the kingdom of Hyrule by combining the two fragments of the Triforce of Wisdom, the one in his possession with the one in Tetra's necklace, restoring the Triforce of Wisdom which now dwelt within Zelda. He instructs Zelda to remain in Hyrule Castle to avoid detection from Ganondorf while he resumes his form as the King of Red Lions and proceeds to aid Link in his quest for restoring the evil-repelling power of the Master Sword.
Daphnes later appears in-person during the final encounter with Ganondorf. After Ganondorf brings together all three pieces of the Triforce, Daphnes intervenes by using its power to flood what remains of his kingdom and give Link and Zelda a future. In response to this, Ganondorf attacks Link and Princess Zelda, intending to kill them.
Once Link and Zelda defeat Ganondorf, Daphnes laments to Link and Tetra his regret as he lived bound to the memory of Hyrule, comparing himself to Ganondorf in that regard. Daphnes tells Link and Zelda to live for the future in a land which would belong only to them. After the ocean drowns most of Hyrule, Link and Tetra rise to the surface, leaving the King to die with his doomed kingdom.
The King can speak the ancient Hylian tongue, and often does so on Link's behalf, as the young hero cannot understand the language. However, in the Second Quest, these words are translated, though Link still cannot understand them.
|King of Hyrule (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
||The King of Hyrule was unable to protect his kingdom from evil and left its fate up to the gods. The King of Red Lions is merely his disguise. His full name is one that is truly fit for royalty: Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule.|
- Rauru is similar to King Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule both in appearance and in the fact that he is a wise man who aids Link in his quest.
- Daphnes' wish came true when Tetra and Link founded the New Hyrule featured in Spirit Tracks.
- A king bearing a great resemblance to Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule appears in The Minish Cap manga, although he goes unnamed.
- Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule may be the first character in the Zelda series to have fully modeled expressions.
- Judging by how he fades in and out of existence, Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule may merely be an apparition. He may also be grounded spiritually to Hyrule, as Link only meets him in person while in Hyrule.
- ↑ "The gods chose which of the kingdom's subjects would ascend to the new land, telling them to escape to the tallest mountains. They then flooded the world, sinking Ganondorf and Hyrule to the bottom of the ocean and sealing them away. Though the king was sealed along with his kingdom, the princess took a piece of the Triforce that had been broken in two by the king and managed to escape to the ocean's surface with several of her retainers." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 123)
- ↑ "King Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule, ordered by the gods to put an end to Ganondorf's ambitions, awoke from his slumber. His spirit took up residence in a small red boat known as the King of Red Lions, and he began searching for the new Hero and the descendent of the royal family." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 124)
- ↑ "You cannot defeat me with a blade that does not sparkle with the power to repel evil! What you hold is useless." — Ganondorf (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "And I am its king: Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule. Link, do you not recognize my voice? Indeed, I am the one who guided you here. I am the King of Red Lions." — Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "He who touches it will have whatever he desires granted... That is what you said, is it not, Ganondorf? Gods of the Triforce! Hear that which I desire! Hope! I desire hope for these children! Give them a future! Wash away this ancient land of Hyrule! Let a ray of hope shine on the future of the world!!!" — Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "And let our destinies finally be fulfilled... Ganondorf! May you drown with Hyrule!!!" — Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "Very well, then... Allow me to show you... Your future... Yes... Allow me to show you... Just what hope you have... See how much your precious Triforce is worth!" — Ganondorf (The Wind Waker)}
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ダフネス・ノハンセン・ハイラル (Dafunesu Nohansen Hairaru)||Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule|
|Spanish||Daphness Nohansen Hyrule|
|French||Daphnès Nohansen Hyrule|
|German||Daphnos Johanson von Hyrule|
|Italian||Dafnes Nohansen Hyrule|