|Era||The Sky Era|
Karane is a senior student at the Knight Academy in Skyloft. She is a red-headed youth that sports a light green tunic and round flat hat. She spends most of her time near the classroom in the day, and can be found in her room on the upper floor at night. Although she wants to take baths in the evening, someone is always in there. She is somewhat conservative, but is very popular among her male peers.
Karane has a keen interest in Pipit and sometimes wonders how she can capture his attention. She will often ask Link for his opinion on Pipit. If Link tells her that he is nice, she will begin listing his good points, but if she is questioned, she will become flustered. When Link does something, like learn the Spiral Charge or obtain his tunic, she compliments him, then goes on to say that Pipit can do better.
If Link delivers a love letter from Cawlin, she will initially think it's from Pipit. She comments on the bad handwriting and discovers that Cawlin sent it. Although she appreciates the effort that went into the letter, she laughs at the thought of entering a relationship with the boy and wonders what Pipit would think of the situation.
When Link returns to Karane, she will be confronted by Cawlin. She compliments him on his letter and thanks him. He asks her if she would go out with him, and just as she is about to reply, Pipit runs in, shouting that she should go out with him instead. She hesitantly accepts his offer in an effort to prevent breaking Cawlin's heart.
After that, they will begin dating. Pipit thanks Link for helping him find true love and gives him five Gratitude Crystals. Karane will admire Pipit even more, and thanks Link for his role, but she still feels sorry for how things turned out for Cawlin. Afterwards, by sitting a bench seat in the front row of the classroom, Link can listen to Karane and Pipit discussing their relationship as well as how Karane wants to visit Pipit's mother, much to Pipit's dismay.
- Her name is derived from crane, a bird known for its beauty in many cultures.
- If Link speaks to Karane after seeing Fi for the first time, she will react as if Link claims to have seen a ghost, much to Karane's disbelief.
- Link can also give Cawlin's letter to the lady in the restroom, presumably to be used as toilet paper.
- There is a drawing on the classroom chalkboard of an "Ai Ai Gasa" or "Love Love Umbrella". If Link approaches the umbrella drawing, text will appear saying "Karane + Caw...". This is meant to read Karane + Cawlin, and was probably written by Cawlin as Karane is interested in Pipit.
- In Karane's bedroom on her desk is a drawing of Pipit's face in one of her books next to a heart symbol on the same page. Nearby, there is also an envelope with a heart symbol on it, possibly an unsent love letter to Pipit she wrote.
- "I need to take a bath, so get out of here, Link! Well...I mean I WOULD take a bath if whoever is in there now would hurry up and get out. They've been in there a loooong time..." — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "What do you think you're doing sneaking into a girl's room at this time of the night?!" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "Sigh... Oh, Pipit... How can I get you to notice me?" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "Hey, Link, what do you think about Pipit?" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "[Response: He's nice] Yes! Yes, he is! He's kind and caring. And handsome and wonderful! Oh dear... I don't know what's come over me all of a sudden... Sorry for bothering you with such an awkward question..." — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "[Response: Why?] Huh? Oh... Well, you know... I just... Oh, forget about it. I don't even know what I was thinking asking you a strange question like that. Silly me..." — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "Whoa, you can already Spiral Charge?! Wow...that's so cool, Link! I mean...whatever. I'm sure Pipit can do it, too!" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "That outfit looks great on you! Not as good as it looks on Pipit,though!" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "Huh? A letter? For me...? Could it be from Pipit?!" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "Wow... This Cawlin guy... Isn't he one of Groose's flunkies? And...this... This is a love letter from that Cawlin kid...right?" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "So, yeah... I have to say, he really put his heart into it and everything... I don't know... Maybe I should consider going out with Cawlin. ...Hah! As if! Sigh... I wonder what Pipit would think if he knew about this..." — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "This letter from Cawlin... I don't know what to do about it!" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "What will Pipit think if he finds out about this?" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "Tee hee. It was a wonderful love letter. Thank you!" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "Wait! I think you should go out with me instead! I mean...er...I want to ask you out!" — Pipit (Skyward Sword)
- "Errr... I want to go out with... Pipit..." — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "My guy is going out on patrol again tonight. It's not even required of him--it's just something he feels he has to do... Just thinking about him makes my heart start pounding like I just ran up a flight of stairs!" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "Hee hee! Thank you, Link. Thanks to you, I have an amazing new boyfriend! But I feel kind of bad about Cawlin, you know?" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "I guess I should hustle over and say hello to your mother too. I'm sure she's just like you, Pipit--trustworthy and dependable." — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "Whoa! Uhhhh, that's moving a bit too fast, don't you think?" — Pipit (Skyward Sword)
- "You saw a ghost?! Are you sure you weren't just in shock and maybe imagined it?" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "Description of Ai Ai Gasa or Love Love Umbrella" — Love Umbrella--Japanese Love Symbolism!! , Japan Culture Club.
- "Karane + Caw..."
- Karane's desk
|Names in Other Regions|