Kaepora Gaebora artwork
from Majora's Mask 3D
|Game(s)|| Ocarina of Time|
Four Swords Adventures
|Era|| Era of the Hero of Time|
Era of Shadow
Ocarina of Time
In ancient times, Rauru built the Temple of Time. Afterward, he remained within the Temple of Light, only leaving the Sacred Realm as Kaepora Gaebora, his owl form. According to a Gossip Stone, he is rumored to be the reincarnation of an ancient Sage.
After Link defeats Gohma and leaves the Kokiri Forest, Kaepora Gaebora is found for the first time in the edge of the woods in Hyrule Field. He then directs Link to Hyrule Castle. Afterwards, he constantly appears before Link in various areas. He can also transport Link to various locations, including a secret entrance to a house in Kakariko Village where a Piece of Heart is located.
In the world of Termina, Kaepora Gaebora makes two appearances. In the Southern Swamp beside the entrance to Woodfall, he teaches Link the "Song of Soaring," which allows Link to warp between the various Owl Statues. He says that the act of playing the song binds them as eternal friends.
He later reappears in the Goron Village of Snowhead, inquiring if his Owl Statues have been helpful, and hoping that Link has the courage to change Termina's doomed future. He guides Link to the Lens of Truth by dropping his feathers on each of the invisible platforms that form the path to the Lone Peak Shrine. Later, Darmani's ghost hints that Kaepora Gaebora had told him that Link would soon be coming. This implies that Kaepora Gaebora led Link to the Lens of Truth so he would be able to help the lingering spirit of Darmani.
Four Swords Adventures
- Kaepora Gaebora draws much inspiration from the Owl in Link's Awakening. Both characters have a similar role as owls who guide Link on his quests.
- As an owl, Kaepora Gaebora can rotate his head at least 180°; when he does so, his eyebrows and markings resemble a caricature of Rauru's face.
- Most of Kaepora Gaebora's lengthy speeches end with a question of whether he should repeat his story. The default response is yes, which can lead to repeating the dialogue if it is sped through carelessly. To exacerbate this further, the option that will make him repeat himself is not always 'yes', depending on how he asks the question (e.g. Did you get all that? No or Yes).
- In Skyward Sword, Zelda's father Gaepora is an old man who shares a similar personality and name to Kaepora Gaebora and shares some of his physical traits, such as his eyebrows and triangular beard. Gaepora also bears a great deal of resemblance to Kaepora Gaebora's true form, Rauru.
- Kaepora Gaebora's role as Rauru's alter ego and agent in the Light World is similar to that of Agahnim.
- When Link meets Sheik outside the Spirit Temple, the sound of wings flapping can be heard as Sheik jumps down in front of Link. Kaepora is then briefly seen flying away. Given that Kaepora Gaebora evidently flew Sheik to the Spirit Temple, it is possible that this is also true for the other times Sheik falls from the sky.
- The Majora's Mask 3D Collector's Edition Game Guide refers to Kaepora Gaebora as the Great Owl.
- Whether the Kaepora Gaebora met in Termina is a parallel counterpart or not is somewhat unclear, though his lack of familiarity with Link would suggest that he is.
- "Rauru: The sage who created the Temple of Time in eras long past. Before Link drew the Master Sword, Rauru took on the form of an unusual bird named Kaepora Gaebora, watching over the boy as he progressed in his adventure." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 87)
- "They say that the owl named Kaepora Gaebora is the reincarnation of an ancient Sage." — Gossip Stone (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hoo hoot! Link... Look up here! It appears that the time has finally come for you to start your adventure! You will encounter many hardships ahead... That is your fate. Don't feel discouraged, even during the toughest times! Go straight this way and you will see Hyrule Castle. You will meet a princess there..." — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey, Link! Look over here! Beyond this point you'll find Kakariko Village. Watch your step! Hoot hoo! Link, you're the only one who can complete the quest ahead! You must do your best! Hoo!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey, Link! Wait a second, friend! Beyond this point you'll find Kakariko Village. Have you seen the Princess of Hyrule? If not, I suggest you go to the castle. Link, you're the only one who can complete the quest ahead! You must do your best! Hoo!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Link! Wait up, buddy! Hoo hoo! Head south from here to reach Lake Hylia's full, rich waters. If you go west, you'll find Gerudo Valley. There's a hideout of a gang of thieves on the other side of the valley. Well, you're free to go anywhere you want! Ho ho ho...hooo! No matter how hard it is, just don't get discouraged. Ho Ho Hoo!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Beyond this point lies Lake Hylia. It is full of deep, pure water. The Zoras, who live all the way upstream, guard the sunken temple at the lake's bottom, as well as Zora's Fountain. If you want to confirm its location on the map, press START to switch to the Subscreens and (Z) or (R) to find the Map. All the places you have visited will be shown on the map. Ho hoo hoot! OK, be careful and go!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey, Link! This way! The princess is inside the castle just ahead. Be careful not to get caught by the guards! Ho ho ho hoot! On this ground, time flows normally. But time stands still while you are in Lon Lon Ranch or in a town. If you want time to pass normally, you'll need to leave town. Well, well, which way are you going to go now? Hoo hoo hoot! Hoooo. You're a smart kid. Good luck, then. Hoo hoo." — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey, over here! Hoo hoo! Link...Good to see you again! Listen to this! Hoot hoot.... After going through the Lost Woods, you will come upon the Sacred Forest Meadow. That is a sacred place where few people have ever walked. Shhhh...What's that? I can hear a mysterious tune... You should listen for that tune too... Hoo hoo hoo! If you are courageous, you will make it through the forest just fine... Just follow your ears and listen to the sounds coming from the forest! Hoot hoot!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Did you learn an Ocarina song from Saria? That melody seems to have some mysterious power. There may be some other mysterious songs like this that you can learn in Hyrule." — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "You've done well to come all the way up here, Link. This is the summit of the sacred Death Mountain! Hoot! It is said that the clouds surrounding this peak reflect the condition of Death Mountain. When they look normal, it is at peace. Climbing all the way up here just proves how smart you are! Now I want to see you make another smart move... The Great Fairy lives on this mountaintop, and she will give you a new skill! She is the leader of the fairies, you know. Hoo! I will perch here and wait for you. When you're ready to go back down, I can help you! Now, get going!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hoo hoo! Looks like you've gotten bigger and stronger already, Link! Just ahead lies Zora's Domain. The Zoras serve Hyrule's Royal Family by protecting this water source. Their door will not open for anyone except those who have some connection with the Royal Family. Let them hear the melody of the Royal Family! Hooo hoo hoooot!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "What are you doing? You've come a long way to get up here... Link, this is a beautiful lake full of pure, clear water. At the lake bottom there is a Water Temple used to worship the water spirits. The Zoras are guardians of the temple. Hoo hoo. The Zoras come from Zora's Domain in northeast Hyrule. An aquatic race, they are longtime allies of Hyrule's Royal Family. I heard that only the Royal Family of Hyrule can enter Zora's Domain... Hoo hoo! I'm on my way back to the castle. If you want to come with me, hold on to my talons!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey, what's up, Link? Surprised to see me? A long time in this world is almost nothing to you, is it? How mysterious! Even I thought that the tales of a boy who could travel back and forth through time was merely a legend. Link, you have fully matured as an adult. From now on, the future of all the people in Hyrule is on your shoulders. Maybe it's not my time anymore. Here is my last advice. Two witches inhabit this temple. In order to destroy them, turn their own magic against them. Hoo hoot! I will continue to watch you... Hoo hoo hoo hoot!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Continue hovering until you reach the waterfall where Kaepora Gaebora the owl is perched" (Majora's Mask Official Player's Guide (Nintendo Power), pg. 38)
- "From the first time you play this song, we shall become eternal friends, transcending time and place!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Majora's Mask)
- "Hoo-hoot! We meet again, fairy child! Have my stone statues been of help?" — Kaepora Gaebora (Majora's Mask)
- "Well, it seems you may have the strength to change the fate of this land as I had expected. But the road ahead is even more challenging. Many trials await you. Please watch over these Gorons around you. Their land is doomed to be smothered in snow and ice forever. It will become a land where no living thing can survive. Without courage and determination, you surely will collapse from the extreme conditions... But if that courage and determination burns bright within you, then that's another story..." — Kaepora Gaebora (Majora's Mask)
- "Hoo-hoot! You are a child of many strengths! Well, perhaps you do have enough strength to change the fate of this mountain after all." — Kaepora Gaebora (Majora's Mask)
- "I shall take to the air now, flying toward that shrine across the way, so follow behind me. Do not be daunted by appearances. Instead, let your feelings guide you, and the true path shall open before you. Are you ready? Follow behind me!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Majora's Mask)
- "Hoo-hoot! I have certainly been assured of your courage and determination. From here on, you must not be fooled by appearances. You must rely on your feelings... Now, enter the shrine. Something that will aid you in your quest lies within. Use that item when returning from here." — Kaepora Gaebora (Majora's Mask)
- "The soaring one said the one who could see me would be arriving soon... It seems that it turned out to be true." — Darmani the Third (Majora's Mask)
- "Great Owl
This aged owl watches over all and uses its vast wisdom to aid Link at key moments in his quest. It's the great owl that teaches Link the Song of Soaring: a magical tune that lets the lad soar around Termina, greatly hastening his travels." (Majora's Mask 3D Collector's Edition Official Player's Guide (Prima Games), pg. 7)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ケポラ・ゲボラ (Kepora Gebora)|
|Spanish||Kaepora Gaebora (OoT3D)|
|French||Kaépora Gaébora (OoT3D)|