|Game(s)|| Ocarina of Time|
Four Swords Adventures
|Era|| Era of the Hero of Time|
Era of Shadow
Kaepora Gaebora (Pronounced /ˈkeɪ.pɔə.ɹə ˈɡeɪ.bɔə.ɹə/, KAY-poar-ə-GAY-boar-ə) is an owl that appears in Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Four Swords Adventures. The Ocarina of Time incarnation of the character, at least, is a form of Rauru. Kaepora Gaebora serves as one of Link's main allies; with his profound depth of knowledge, he advises Link on where to go, while his physical strength allows him to actually carry Link when necessary.
Appearances and Biography
Ocarina of Time
In ancient times, Rauru built the Temple of Time. Afterward, he seems to have remained within the Temple of Light, only leaving the Sacred Realm as Kaepora Gaebora, his owl form. Among the populace, it is widely rumored that Kaepora Gaebora is the reincarnation of an ancient sage, although they do not seem to know that he is Rauru in particular.
After Link defeated Queen Gohma and left the Kokiri Forest, Kaepora Gaebora awaited him at the edge of the woods, giving him encouragement on the adventure the Great Deku Tree had tasked him with and directing him to Hyrule Castle, then leaving with a promise that they'd meet again.
True to his word, Kaepora Gaebora often appeared to tell Link about a new area whenever the boy came upon it, and he picked Link up and carried him twice, when the boy could not progress on his own. Once Link reached the Spirit Temple, after navigating between the eras of his childhood and adulthood, Kaepora Gaebora complimented him on his growth and bid farewell, after giving one final piece of advice on how to defeat the witches, Twinrova.
When Link opened the Door of Time and drew the Master Sword from the Pedestal of Time, Rauru kept Link with him in the Sacred Realm so that, in the safety of the Light Temple, the boy could grow old enough to truly assume the role of the hero. Rauru spoke with Link for the first time after those seven years, informing him of what had happened and what he was supposed to do as the hero. After instructing him to awaken the other Sages, Rauru gave him the Light Medallion.
Rauru contacted Link again when he had freed the other five Sages. He told Link to meet "someone" waiting at the Temple of Time before facing Ganondorf. This person turned out to be none other than the seventh Sage, Princess Zelda. Unfortunately, by revealing herself to Link, Ganondorf also was finally able to find her. Rauru then instructed Link to save Zelda and told him that he and the other Sages would aid him by providing entrance to Ganon's Castle. When Link defeated Ganon, Rauru led the other Sages when they used their powers to seal away Ganondorf.
- Initial Appearance: At the entrance of Hyrule Field from Kokiri Forest.
- Second Appearance: At the entrance of Kakariko Village.
- Gives Link information on the Lake Hylia and Gerudo Valley regions.
- Fourth Appearance: On the road to Lake Hylia.
- Fifth Appearance: Near Hyrule Castle.
- Encourages Link to infiltrate Hyrule Castle and chats about the passing of time in the overworld as compared to civilization.
- Sixth Appearance: Over Lon Lon Ranch.
- Seventh Appearance: Before the Lost Woods in the Kokiri Forest.
- Eighth Appearance: Deep in the Lost Woods.
- Divulges information on ocarina song usage.
- Ninth Appearance: At the top of Death Mountain.
- Tenth Appearance: At the entrance to Zora's River.
- Reports more information about the Zoras and how to enter their domain.
- Eleventh Appearance: At Lake Hylia.
- Kaepora Gaebora observes Link learn the Requiem of Spirit then flies off.
- Final Appearance: At the entrance of the Spirit Temple in the Desert Colossus.
In the world of Termina, Kaepora Gaebora makes two appearances. The wise owl teaches Link the Song of Soaring, which allows Link to warp between the various Owl Statues, in the Southern Swamp beside the entrance to Woodfall. He says that the act of playing the song binds them as eternal friends.
He later reappears in the Goron Village of Snowhead, where he guides Link to the Lens of Truth by dropping his feathers on each of the invisible platforms that form the path to the relic's location, Lone Peak Shrine.
Four Swords Adventures
Kaepora Gaebora first appears after Link draws the Four Sword, then reappears throughout Hyrule to give the Links advice on how to proceed.
- Kaepora Gaebora draws much inspiration from the Owl in Link's Awakening. Both characters have basically the same role, with the main difference being that the Owl is part of the Wind Fish, while Kaepora Gaebora is the Hyrulean sage, Rauru. The Light Spirit Eldin in Twilight Princess is also an owl-like being, although his role is much smaller and confined to the Eldin Province.
- As an owl, Kaepora Gaebora can rotate his head at least 180°; when he does so, his eyebrows and markings resemble a caricature of Rauru's face.
- Most of Kaepora Gaebora's lengthy speeches end with a question of whether he should repeat his story. The default response is yes, which can lead to a player having to repeat the dialogue if they speed through it carelessly.
- In Skyward Sword, Zelda's father Gaepora is an old man who shares the same personality and a similar name to Kaepora Gaebora and shares some of his physical traits such as his eyebrows and triangular beard. Gaepora also bears a great deal of resemblance to Kaepora Gaebora's true form, Rauru.
- Kaepora Gaebora's role as Rauru's alter ego and agent in the Light World is similar to that of Agahnim.
- When Link meets Sheik outside the Spirit Temple, the sound of wings flapping can be heard as Sheik jumps down in front of Link. Kaepora is then briefly seen flying away. Given that Kaepora Gaebora evidently flew Sheik to the Spirit Temple, it is possible that this is also true for the other times Sheik falls from the sky.
- "Rauru: The sage who created the Temple of Time in eras long past. Before Link drew the Master Sword, Rauru took on the form of an unusual bird named Kaepora Gaebora, watching over the boy as he progressed in his adventure." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 87)
- "They say that the owl named Kaepora Gaebora is the reincarnation of an ancient Sage." — Gossip Stone (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hoo hoot! Link... Look up here! It appears that the time has finally come for you to start your adventure! You will encounter many hardships ahead... That is your fate. Don't feel discouraged, even during the toughest times! Go straight this way and you will see Hyrule Castle. You will meet a princess there... If you are lost and don't know which way to go, look at the Map. The areas you have explored will be shown on the Map. Press START to enter the Subscreens and (Z) or (R) to find the Map. On the Map Subscreen, you will also see a flashing dot showing you which way you should go next. Did you get all that? All right then, I'll see you around! Hoot hoot hoot ho!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey, what's up, Link? Surprised to see me? A long time in this world is almost nothing to you, is it? How mysterious! Even I thought that the tales of a boy who could travel back and forth through time was merely a legend. Link, you have fully matured as an adult. From now on, the future of all the people in Hyrule is on your shoulders. Maybe it's not my time anymore. Here is my last advice. Two witches inhabit this temple. In order to destroy them, turn their own magic against them. Hoo hoot! I will continue to watch you... Hoo hoo hoo hoot!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "But, remember... Though you opened the Door of Time in the name of peace... Ganondorf, the Gerudo King of Thieves, used it to enter this forbidden Sacred Realm! He obtained the Triforce from the Temple of Light, and with its power, he became the King of Evil... His evil power radiated from the temples of Hyrule, and in seven short years, it transformed Hyrule into a world of monsters. My power now has only little influence, even in this Sacred Realm... Namely, this Chamber of Sages. But there is still hope... The power of the Sages remains. When the power of all the Sages is awakened... The Sages' Seals will contain all the evil power in the void of the Realm... I, Rauru, am one of the Sages... And... Your power to fight together with the Sages makes you the Hero of Time! The Hero of Time, chosen by the Master Sword! Keep my spirit with you... And, find the power of the other Sages and add their might to your own!" — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "The Master Sword is a sacred blade which evil ones may never touch.... Only one worthy of the title of "Hero of Time" can pull it from the Pedestal of Time.... However, you were too young to be the Hero of Time.... Therefore, your spirit was sealed here for seven years. And now that you are old enough, the time has come for you to awaken as the Hero of Time! Well, do you understand your destiny?" — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "You received the Light Medallion! Rauru the Sage adds his power to yours!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "Link, the hero! Finally, all of us, the six Sages, have been awakened! The time for the final showdown with the King of Evil has come! Before that, though, you should meet the one who is waiting for you... The one who is waiting for you at the Temple of Time..." — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "Link...can you hear me? It's Rauru, the Sage. We six will gather our power to create a bridge to the castle where Ganondorf dwells... The castle's keep, which is known as Ganon's Tower, is protected by six evil barriers. Bring down the six barriers and save Princess Zelda!!" — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "Ancient Creators of Hyrule! Now, open the sealed door and send the Evil Incarnation of Darkness into the void of the Evil Realm!!" — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey, Link! Look over here! Beyond this point you'll find Kakariko Village. Watch your step! Hoot hoo! Link, you're the only one who can complete the quest ahead! You must do your best! Hoo!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey, Link! Wait a second, friend! Beyond this point you'll find Kakariko Village. Have you seen the Princess of Hyrule? If not, I suggest you go to the castle. Link, you're the only one who can complete the quest ahead! You must do your best! Hoo!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Link! Wait up, buddy! Hoo hoo! Head south from here to reach Lake Hylia's full, rich waters. If you go west, you'll find Gerudo Valley. There's a hideout of a gang of thieves on the other side of the valley. Well, you're free to go anywhere you want! Ho ho ho...hooo! No matter how hard it is, just don't get discouraged. Ho Ho Hoo!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Beyond this point lies Lake Hylia. It is full of deep, pure water. The Zoras, who live all the way upstream, guard the sunken temple at the lake's bottom, as well as Zora's Fountain. If you want to confirm its location on the map, press START to switch to the Subscreens and (Z) or (R) to find the Map. All the places you have visited will be shown on the map. Ho hoo hoot! OK, be careful and go!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey, Link! This way! The princess is inside the castle just ahead. Be careful not to get caught by the guards! Ho ho ho hoot! On this ground, time flows normally. But time stands still while you are in Lon Lon Ranch or in a town. If you want time to pass normally, you'll need to leave town. Well, well, which way are you going to go now? Hoo hoo hoot! Hoooo. You're a smart kid. Good luck, then. Hoo hoo." — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey, over here! Hoo hoo! Link...Good to see you again! Listen to this! Hoot hoot.... After going through the Lost Woods, you will come upon the Sacred Forest Meadow. That is a sacred place where few people have ever walked. Shhhh...What's that? I can hear a mysterious tune... You should listen for that tune too... Hoo hoo hoo! If you are courageous, you will make it through the forest just fine... Just follow your ears and listen to the sounds coming from the forest! Hoot hoot!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Did you learn an Ocarina song from Saria? That melody seems to have some mysterious power. There may be some other mysterious songs like this that you can learn in Hyrule." — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "You've done well to come all the way up here, Link. This is the summit of the sacred Death Mountain! Hoot! It is said that the clouds surrounding this peak reflect the condition of Death Mountain. When they look normal, it is at peace. Climbing all the way up here just proves how smart you are! Now I want to see you make another smart move... The Great Fairy lives on this mountaintop, and she will give you a new skill! She is the leader of the fairies, you know. Hoo! I will perch here and wait for you. When you're ready to go back down, I can help you! Now, get going!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hoo hoo! Looks like you've gotten bigger and stronger already, Link! Just ahead lies Zora's Domain. The Zoras serve Hyrule's Royal Family by protecting this water source. Their door will not open for anyone except those who have some connection with the Royal Family. Let them hear the melody of the Royal Family! Hooo hoo hoooot!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "What are you doing? You've come a long way to get up here... Link, this is a beautiful lake full of pure, clear water. At the lake bottom there is a Water Temple used to worship the water spirits. The Zoras are guardians of the temple. Hoo hoo. The Zoras come from Zora's Domain in northeast Hyrule. An aquatic race, they are longtime allies of Hyrule's Royal Family. I heard that only the Royal Family of Hyrule can enter Zora's Domain... Hoo hoo! I'm on my way back to the castle. If you want to come with me, hold on to my talons!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "From the first time you play this song, we shall become eternal friends, transcending time and place!" — Kaepora Garbora (Majora's Mask)
- "As part of the Wind Fish's spirit, I am the guardian of his dream world." — Owl (Link's Awakening)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Spanish||Kaepora Gaebora (OoT3D)|
|French||Kaépora Gaébora (OoT3D)|