- This article is about Link's grandmother. For other uses, see Grandmother (disambiguation).
|Game(s)|| The Wind Waker|
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
|Family|| Link (Grandson) |
BiographyHero's Clothes, a garment that commemorates the day that he turns the same age as the hero spoken of in the legends of old. Unfortunately, Aryll is kidnapped by the Helmaroc King, and Link returns to his house to retrieve the Hero's Shield hanging from the wall upstairs. With these sacred objects, Link is able to sail with Tetra and her crew and thus be able to rescue his sister. His grandmother sadly gives the shield to him, overwhelmed and disheartened by the fact that Aryll has been kidnapped. Just as Link is departing from Outset Island, his grandmother can be seen standing in front of her house, dejected, watching her grandson leave.
Later in Link's journey, the young hero returns to Outset Island to fetch Nayru's Pearl from the great water spirit: Jabun. When Link comes to visit his Grandmother, he finds out from Sue-Belle that she has been depressed ever since he left the island. Sue-Belle goes on to mention that Grandmother rarely leaves the house, spending her days sleeping and hardly eating as she continues to worry for her two grandchildren. She is so burdened by the fear of losing the companionship of Link and Aryll that she does not even recognize her grandson when Link goes to visit her.
After Sturgeon tells Link that fairy dust is all that is necessary to cure her, the young hero promptly provides a fairy, enabling her to recuperate and sprout up from her seat, recovered. She expresses her happiness to see Link again, and promises to stay strong and help in every way she can instead of worrying and moaning too much. To prove this, she happily fills his bottle with her homemade hearty soup; the concoction restores all of Link's health and energy, and doubles his attack power until receiving a hit from an enemy. Before Link returns to his adventures, Grandmother kindly advises him to not do anything reckless and to come back safely, where she will make his favorite soup any time he wants.
Throughout Link's quest on the Great Sea, Grandmother continues to be a resolute source of encouragement for her grandson. At one point, she sends Link a letter, asking for his safety and giving him all the Rupees she's saved up. In the letter, she says that as long as she has the companionship of her two grandchildren, she doesn't need anything else. Even after Link rescues Aryll, Grandmother continues to wait patiently on Outset Island with a smile on her face and many helpings of her healing soup.
Link's Grandmother is last seen during the ending scene, waving good-bye as Link sets sail in search of new lands.
|Grandmother (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
|| Birthplace: Outset Island.|
This kind old woman works hard to raise her two grandchildren. She's a very talented cook - her special Elixir Soup is sure to raise anyone's spirit. She can be somewhat mischievous and enjoys playing the occasional prank on Link.
Grandmother's image on the Sliding Puzzle
- "Don't look so disappointed, dear one! Just try them on. Today is a day to celebrate! It is the day that you become the same age as the young hero spoken of in all the legends. You only have to wear them for one day, so don't look so down. Be proud, child!" — Grandmother (The Wind Waker)
- "Link... Is this what you're looking for? ...Take it with you. I guess it is true... Aryll really has been kidnapped... Hasn't she? What kind of monster could take such a sweet, young child? Oh, Aryll..." — Grandmother (The Wind Waker)
- "Your grandmother has been having a terrible time of it ever since you left. She rarely leaves the house, and as far as I can tell, she just spends her days sleeping. She hardly eats..." — Sue-Belle (The Wind Waker)
- "Link... Aryll...Don't go... Don't leave... Uhhnnn... Don't leave your poor old grandma... ...all alone... Uhnnn... Uhhhnnn..." — Grandmother (The Wind Waker)
- "My granddaughter tells me that your grandmother is in poor health these days... Now, I'm certain that a little fairy dust would provide all the lift her spirits need, but... Well, the problem is, I haven't seen any fairies in these parts recently. Of course, long ago you could find a lot of them up by the old Fairy Fountain, and you could even capture them in empty bottles." — Sturgeon (The Wind Waker)
- "Ohh, Link? Is that you, Link? Link... My dear, sweet Link. You're safe... That's wonderful... Just wonderful. Did you do this? Did you heal me? Oh, you're such a sweet child... Ohh... That's right... You and your sister, Aryll, are trying so hard to be strong, and I've just been sitting here, moaning and worrying... I'm your grandmother... I'm the one who should be taking care of you... I'm so sorry, Link. I haven't even considered what you must be going through. I'm a terrible grandma..." — Grandmother (The Wind Waker)
- "You and your sister love this soup, don't you? If you run out, I can make it for you any time you like. Grandma's going to try to be strong, so you try to be strong, too! But don't do anything reckless! All right?" — Grandmother (The Wind Waker)
- "How are you doing, Link? Do you have enough of Granny's soup? Where are you now? You may be closer than I suspect! Are you hungry? Are you keeping warm? You haven't injured yourself, have you? You always work so hard, Link. Do you have enough Rupees? Your grandma doesn't have a lot, but I'm sending you everything I've saved up. As long as I have you and Aryll, I don't need anything else. I just want the two of you to return home safely." — Grandmother (The Wind Waker)
|Names in Other Regions|
|French||Mémé - Grand'mère de Link|