The Goddess Sword in its pedestal
|Other media||Hyrule Warriors|
|Use(s)|| Killing enemies|
|Comparable Item(s)|| Master Sword|
Crafted by the Goddess Hylia, the Goddess Sword is a legendary blade featured in Skyward Sword, which is later tempered into the Master Sword by Link. It is inhabited by a spirit known as Fi, who aids Link throughout his journey so that he may fulfill his role as Hylia's chosen hero.
The goddess Hylia created the Goddess Sword and Fi, an intelligent humanoid spirit who resides in the sword, and gave it the purpose of assisting Hylia's chosen hero. She then enshrined the sword inside the Statue of the Goddess before raising it into The Sky as part of Skyloft.
Preceding the Wing Ceremony, Fi appears to Link in his dreams, foretelling him of his destiny. After Link and Zelda are attacked by a black tornado, Link wakes up in his room, where he hears Fi speaking to him. Fi guides him to the Inside of the Statue of the Goddess, further explaining his fate as the chosen hero and encourages him to draw the Goddess Sword from its pedestal so that Fi can formally acknowledge him as her Master. Fi gives Link the Emerald Tablet and tells the young hero that he must go beneath the clouds in order to find Zelda and fulfill his destiny, with the tablet illuminating the path ahead.
After Link receives the Goddess's Harp from Zelda, the young hero must temper the Goddess Sword using the three Sacred Flames in order for it to hold the necessary power to open the Gate of Time at the Sealed Grounds. Each time Link bathes the Goddess Sword in one of the flames, the sword is empowered and is physically altered, giving it new powers. First, Farore's Flame converts it to the Goddess Longsword, which has doubled attacking power and greater reach. Then, Nayru's Flame converts it to the Goddess White Sword, which adds the ability to dowse for Rupees, Treasures, Gratitude Crystals, and Goddess Cubes. Finally, Din's Flame converts it to the Master Sword, with four times the original Goddess Sword's attacking power and a faster charge time for Skyward Strikes. However, this Master Sword resembles the Master Sword as it is first seen in The Wind Waker, in its weakened state.
The final change to the sword takes place in the past, before Zelda enters into a deep sleep to keep the seal placed upon Demise intact. Her blessing converts it to the True Master Sword, with the familiar Master Sword appearance seen throughout the series: the cross-guard's position extends outward, and the gem and the Triforce symbol are restored. With this final transformation, the sword becomes able to harm and defeat Demise. Additionally, the time it takes to charge a Skyward Strike is reduced. In Hero Mode, the Skyward Strike is already at its maximum power and charging speed from the previous playthrough, so upon acquiring the True Master Sword its charge time is upgraded again to become near-instantaneous.
Powers and Abilities
The Goddess Sword houses a spirit, Fi, who guides Link in many ways, such as giving him helpful advice or actually pointing him in the direction he needs to go. When Fi has something to say, the sword begins to glow, and Link can speak to Fi at any time by pressing down on the D-Pad. Moreover, the sword has a treasure-seeking ability called Dowsing. It can sense important people and items and help Link to locate them, acting as a sort of compass. Link can choose in the Dowsing menu which specific object or person he wishes to track down. The closer Link gets to the target, the faster the sword will beep.
If Link holds the sword up to the sky, it will be charged up by "energy from the heavens" and be able to release a Skyward Strike once it's swung. This beam can activate the various objects that the goddess specifically left for the hero, such as Goddess Cubes, Goddess Walls, and Goddess Crests.
- Despite the fact that evil beings cannot touch the Master Sword, Ghirahim is able to wield the Goddess Sword. However, this is most likely due to the Goddess Sword's incomplete form.
- The claim that only Link is able to wield the True Master Sword is ignored in the Lightning Round Version of the first Ghirahim battle, for he can still grab the True Master Sword and use it against Link.
- At the end of Skyward Sword, because of the time travel involved, the Goddess Sword and Master Sword exist simultaneously. The Master Sword is within the Sealed Temple while the Goddess Sword is up in Skyloft.
- "I was created for a single purpose, long before the recorded memory of your people. I must aid you in fulfilling the great destiny that is your burden to carry." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Link, the goddess created Fi and the great blade she's a part of for very specific reasons." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "First, she created Fi. She made the spirit that resides in your sword to serve a single purpose: to assist her chosen hero on his mission." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "Come, Link. You must take up this sword. As the one chosen by my creator, it is your destiny." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "The youth who draws forth the guiding sword shall be known as the goddess's chosen hero, and it is he who possesses an unbreakable spirit. He shall be burdened with the task of abolishing the shadow of apocalypse from the land. Such is his destiny. With the spirit of the blade at his side, he shall soar over the clouds and plummet below... ...And united with the spirit maiden, shall bring forth a piercing light that resurrects the land." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "In the name of my creator, draw the sword and raise it skyward. Recognition complete" — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "This tablet will illuminate a path through the clouds to the land below." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Ah, sorry to disappoint you, boy, but for now your sword lacks the power necessary to awaken the gate. Faron Woods...Eldin Volcano...and Lanayru Desert... A sacred flame is hidden somewhere in each of these lands. Seek them out, and purify your sword in their heat. Only after your blade has been tempered by these three fires will it be fully imbued with the great power for which you search." — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "The sword is now imbued with the mythical power to drive back demons, and only Link may wield it!" — Item description (Skyward Sword)
- "Taking this into account, I calculate an 85% probability that your quest will be aided if you find the lost Kikwis for the elder. To expedite your search for these forest-dwelling creatures, I have added Kikwis as a dowsing option." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Master Link, I suggest you imbue that crest with the power of your Skyward Strike and then insert the tablet I gave you a moment ago. To gather energy from the heavens and charge up a Skyward Strike, point your sword skyward." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "If I remember right... Yup, this is one of the things the goddess was said to have left behind for the hero of legend. Pretty amazing, right? I even thought up a name for these things. I have been calling them Goddess Cubes! Makes sense, right?" — Gorko (Skyward Sword)
- "When you struck the crest with a Skyward Strike from your sword, a message from the goddess awakened deep within my memory. The goddess intended this message for you, Master. These are her words." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "There you will find the blade of evil's bane that was crafted by the wisdom of the ancient sages... the Master Sword." — Princess Zelda (Twilight Princess)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||女神の剣 (Megami no Tsurugi)||Goddess Sword|
|Italian||Spada della Dea||Goddess Sword|