The Ghost Ship as portrayed in The Wind Waker
|Location(s)||Depends on the lunar phase|
|Game(s)||The Wind Waker|
|Boss(es)||Diabolical Cubus Sisters|
|Quest Reward(s)||Triforce Chart|
Ghost Key, Tetra rescued (albeit still petrified)
Locations and Features
The Wind Waker
In The Wind Waker, the Ghost Ship haunts several islands of the Great Sea during the night. It will appear at several different locations depending on the current state of the Moon. The ship is doomed to sail the Great Sea until freed from its curse, and only the one holding the Ghost Ship Chart, hidden on Diamond Steppe Island, can enter the ship and free it from its curse. However, the souls of those who are still trapped on the ship will try to stop anyone who boards it.
According to Lenzo, the sailor who made the Ghost Ship Chart was following the frightening vessel across all of its destinations, drawing a map of its movements. When the map was done, he suddenly died. Interestingly, Link does not die if he continuously visits the Ghost Ship. In fact, there is actually nothing about the ship that can damage Link, except the enemies within; even so, for some reason, the fishmen warn him steer clear of the ghostly vessel.
The Ghost Ship appears at the following islands in this order: Crescent Moon Island, Diamond Steppe Island, Bomb Island, Spectacle Isle, Five-Star Isles, Star Belt Archipelago and Greatfish Isle. Because of this, there's no night during which the ship does not appear in the Great Sea. The battle on the Ghost Ship always starts against a Wizzrobe and two Poes, however the Wizzrobe is able to summon more enemies into the battle; namely ones that are undead, such as ReDeads and Stalfos.
After defeating all the enemies within the ship, Link will be able to climb up a ladder to get to a chest which will contain a Triforce Chart. In this small room there is an engraved face on the wall that seems to have a wide, eerie grin from afar. However when Link approaches it the face quickly changes to that of an expressionless, normal face. Also notably, the camera zooms in closer to Link once he is closest to the face, seemingly and suspiciously to give the player a better view of the face to show the contrast.
After Link collects the Triforce Chart hidden within, the Ghost Ship will stop roaming the seas and disappear entirely.
The Ghost Ship is a dungeon, boss, and boss battlefield in Phantom Hourglass. At the beginning of the game, it appears within a ghostly fog. Tetra boards it and shrieks once she is out of sight of the others, prompting Link to follow her in an attempt to rescue her. However, he instead falls into the ocean and is taken to the World of the Ocean King. He then searches for a ship captain who will give him a ship to use to chase the Ghost Ship. As a result, he comes across Linebeck, who agrees to help him find the ship with the ulterior motive of finding the riches inside.
After Link has received a bomb cannon for his boat, the Ghost Ship will soon reappear. Link attempts to follow it, but soon becomes lost in the fog. After traveling to Molida Island to find the path he must take, he is able to get away from it, although the fog does not dissipate until Link rescues Tetra from the ship.
After Link has obtained Leaf, the Spirit of Power, Neri, the Spirit of Wisdom, and has caused Ciela, the Spirit of Courage, to regain her memory, he once more sails into the fog. This time, he locates and boards the Ghost Ship, which is filled with Skulltulas, Reaplings, and other undead enemies. Once inside, he must reunite the four Cubus Sisters, who reveal themselves to demons. They then challenge Link to a game of Dead Man's Volley, after which Link is given the Ghost Key to open the door leading to Tetra's whereabouts.
When Tetra is rescued, Oshus reveals himself to be the Ocean King, and explains that the Ghost Ship is actually a way for Bellum to get victims. He spread rumors of a great treasure within the ship to lure people there.
After Bellum is defeated within the Temple of the Ocean King, he takes Tetra again and takes control of the Ghost Ship. Here, Link sails alongside it, launching bombs at Bellum's eyes. Eventually, it sinks, and the final boss battle takes place on its remains. After the game's credits, Link and Tetra awaken on the mysteriously repaired Ghost Ship. They go back onto their own ship, and the Ghost Ship soon disappears without a trace.
- The scream that is heard when obtaining the Triforce Chart is actually a sped up version of an unused audio clip of Jabun screaming.
Link battles the Cubus Sisters upon the Ghost Ship in Phantom Hourglass
- "Oh, I've got some great information, small fry! Lucky you! If you use the treasure that's hidden on that island there, the thing that vanishes as soon as you get near it... It won't vanish anymore! You know...IT! I'm talking about IT! That thing that appears on nights when a wee bit of the right half of the moon is missing! Don't you know what I'm talking about?! IT!" — Fishman, in the waters surrounding Diamond Steppe Island (The Wind Waker)
- "The rumors I've heard tell of a man who researched the reaches of the sea where the Ghost Ship faded in and out of sight, and that he drew a map of its movements. But it is said that as soon as the man had finished drawing the lines of that cursed map...he died a most unexpected death." — Lenzo (The Wind Waker)
- "You'd best be careful sailing these waters on nights when the moon is full. Well, if you like pure, soul-freezing horror, fry, then maybe you can handle it." — Fishman, in the waters surrounding Crescent Moon Island (The Wind Waker)
- "You ought to come sail these seas on nights when the right half of the moon is missing... It'll give you shivers, fry!" — Fishman, in the waters surrounding Bomb Island (The Wind Waker)
- "Beware the night when the crescent moon faces up! That's all I can tell you, small fry." — Fishman, in the waters surrounding Spectacle Isle (The Wind Waker)
- "Have you seen it, small fry? ...The Ghost Ship? 'Cause it's real. It's even been seen here, in these very waters... On nights when the crescent moon faces down... That's when the horror rises..." — Fishman, in the waters surrounding Five-Star Isles (The Wind Waker)
- "I wouldn't sail through these seas on nights when the left half of the moon is missing... You'll regret it if you do, fry! I'm warning you! It's not my fault if you get so scared that you can't go to the bathroom at night anymore!" — Fishman, in the waters surrounding Star Belt Archipelago (The Wind Waker)
- "You should come around these parts on nights when just a wee bit of the left half of the moon is missing. ...That's when IT appears, fry!" — Fishman, in the waters surrounding Greatfish Isle (The Wind Waker)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Spanish||Barco Fantasma||Ghost Ship|
|French||Vaisseau Fantôme||Ghost Ship|