Flute artwork from A Link to the Past
|Game(s)|| The Adventure of Link|
A Link to the Past
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
|Other media|| The Legend of Zelda comic|
Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon
Ancient Stone Tablets
|Comparable Item(s)|| Recorder|
Flutes are recurring items in The Legend of Zelda series. They are used to play music, usually to create some kind of effect.
The Adventure of Link
In The Adventure of Link, the Flute is obtained in the Palace on the Sea. It allows Link to pass by what the villagers in Nabooru Town call the River Devil. Once the Flute is played, it disappears. Later in the game, the instrument is used to make the Three-Eye Rock Palace appear when played in the middle of Three-Eye Rock.
A Link to the Past
In A Link to the Past, the Flute once belonged to a young boy who set out in search of the Golden Power and never returned. When Link talks to the boy in the Dark World, he gives the young hero a Shovel and asks him to find his Flute. Link finds this instrument buried in the Haunted Grove in the Light World. He then plays the Flute one last time for the boy, who is soothed by the music and is then turned into a tree.
When Link brings the Flute to the Flute Boy's Father, the man understands what has happened to his son and asks Link to keep it. He then tells Link to play the Flute in front of the Weathercock in the center of Kakariko Village. Soon after Link complies with his request, the Flute Boy's Bird breaks out of the Weathercock and flies off. Whenever Link plays the Flute in the Light World overworld from that point forward, the pet bird can transport him to one of eight locations. The Flute is necessary in reaching the sixth Dark World dungeon, the Misery Mire.
- Death Mountain
- Witch's Hut
- Kakariko Village
- Link's House
- South of the Eastern Palace
- Desert of Mystery
- Great Swamp
- Lake Hylia
- East of Death Mountain (Game Boy Advance version only)
- Main article: Strange Flute
In Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons, Link obtains one of three different Strange Flutes. They can be used to call Dimitri, Moosh, or Ricky from most places in the overworld. Link can only obtain one of them though his adventure.
- Main article: Spirit Flute
In Spirit Tracks, the Spirit Flute is used to restore the Spirit Tracks. It once belonged to Anjean, who then entrusted it to Tetra. By the time of Spirit Tracks, the Spirit Flute belongs to Princess Zelda, who then give it to Link to help restore the tracks. It can also be used to play five different songs which produces various effects.
- In A Link to the Past, while the bird does not appear when playing the Flute in the Dark World, somehow it appears in it when Link plays the Flute after defeating Agahnim on the top of Ganon's Tower.
- In The Legend of Zelda, the Recorder is called Flute in Japan.
- In A Link to the Past, the Flute resembles and was originally called an Ocarina in the Japanese version, but was renamed due to a mistranslation.
- In Link's Awakening, the Grim Creeper, mini-boss of the Eagle's Tower, uses a Flute to call six Big Keese to aid him.
- In The Minish Cap, the Ocarina of Wind is similar to the flute from A Link to the Past. It can also summon a bird to take Link to any one of the eight Wind Crests scattered across Hyrule. It is also conceivable that the Flute in A Link to the Past is, in fact, the Ocarina of Wind. If true, the bird summoned by the Flute could be connected to or descended from Zeffa.
- In A Link Between Worlds, another Flute Boy appears playing his Flute in the Milk Bar.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "CALL FOR HELP AT THE THREE EYE ROCKS." — Man in Hidden Town of Kasuto (The Adventure of Link)
- "Zelda said that the only way to keep the Triforce of Wisdom safe from Ganon is for her to take it far away and never return!" (The Legend of Zelda Issue 1 (Valiant Comic), pg. )
- "In the Fifth Palace of Hyrule is a magic flute that will transport me to a distant place. Ganon will never find me." (The Legend of Zelda Issue 1 (Valiant Comic), pg. )
- "The Fifth Palace is on the Island of Hyron!" (The Legend of Zelda Issue 1 (Valiant Comic), pg. )
- "By reaching the Fifth Palace and defeating me, you have proved that you deserve the treasures within." (The Legend of Zelda Issue 1 (Valiant Comic), pg. )
- "No! I'll smash. Then she'll stay. All I have to do is... ...All I have to do is let Zelda down when she's depending on me. ...All I have to do is lie to her." (The Legend of Zelda Issue 1 (Valiant Comic), pg. )
- "The Magic Flute. If I give it to Zelda, I'll never see her again." (The Legend of Zelda Issue 1 (Valiant Comic), pg. )
- "So long, Princess." (The Legend of Zelda Issue 1 (Valiant Comic), pg. )
- "Mister, wherever you are is the safest place we'll ever be." (The Legend of Zelda Issue 1 (Valiant Comic), pg. )