From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
Dongorongo is a Dodongo-like boss in Phantom Hourglass, and resides the fifth dungeon, Goron Temple.
Sending a Bombchu into a stunned Dongorongo's mouth
Link enters a room with quicksand surrounding the center platform. Link cannot cross the quicksand, as there is no bridge. However, a door opens in the back and a young Goron, named Gongoron, comes out. The objective is to dodge the fireballs that Dongorongo blasts from his mouth and to avoid him when he charges at Gongoron. When the patriarch's son dodges the charge attack and Dongorongo bashes his head against the wall and gets stunned for a few seconds, Gongoron can slam him from his belly into a state where he is stunned for several seconds (this can be done by either tapping the boss's belly rapidly, or simply rolling Gongoron around to Dodorongo's side, as well). During this Critical Point, Link must send a Bombchu into Dodorongo's mouth. The Bombchu will then explode inside of him.
As a word of caution, Link must ocassionally take control of himself during Gongoron's battle against the boss as he can be attacked by monsters that assist the beast. The Bombchu attack must be performed three times.
After Dongorongo appears to be defeated, a bridge appears and Gongoron walks out of the room. However, just as Link crosses the bridge, Dongorongo wakes up, and some of its armor breaks revealing a large blue crystal, which is his weak point. Dongorongo will attempt to inhale Link. When he does this, the young hero must throw a bomb into his mouth. Once incapacitating the boss again, Link proceeds to attack his weak point until he stands up again. Repeating this a few times results in the defeat of Dongorongo.
- Dongorongo is somewhat similar in appearance to the Pokémon Bastiodon and Heatran, from the Pokémon series.
- Just as the Boko Babas from The Wind Waker are thought to have evolved from Deku Babas, it's possible that Dongorongo is an evolutionary descendant of the classic Dodongo.
- The crystalline growth on Dongorongo's back is almost identical to the Crimsonine, suggesting that the pure metal may have somehow been extracted from it or another member of its species. However, Zauz mentions that there is only one of each pure metal in the world.
- Dongorongo's name is most likely a cross between "Dodongo" and "Goron" because it possesses the lizard-like body of a Dodongo, and the rock-formations of a Goron.
- The method to defeat Dongorongo is strikingly similar to the method used on King Dodongo from Ocarina of Time.
Dongorongo breathes fire at Link
Using Gongoron to tip Dongorongo over
| Names in Other Regions
|| 重機動鎧竜 ボンゴロンゴ
|| Heavy Mobile Ankylosaur: Bongorongo
|| Dongorongo, Lagarto Blindado
|| Dongorongo, Armored Lizard
|| Stégoronsaure, Lézard Blindé
|| Stégoronsaure, Armored Lizard
||Bongorong, die Panzerechse
|| Bongorong, The Armored Lizard