From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
This article or section is in need of attention.
Please improve it in any way you see fit.
This article has been flagged since June 2011.
||Legends speak of a mirror in which a dark tribe was sealed away long ago.
The Dark Tribe is an ancient tribe that is referenced in Four Swords Adventures. They invaded Hyrule, but were defeated and imprisoned in the Dark Mirror. The mirror was then hidden to in the Forest of Light to prevent it from falling into evil hands. However, the mirror was stolen by Ganon and its power is used to create Shadow Links.
While there is little canonical information regarding the origin of the Dark Tribe, there are some points of similarity with canonical objects and characters that can lead theorists to their own conclusions.
The Mirror of Twilight
Official art of Agahnim
The Dark Mirror and the Mirror of Twilight
The Dark Mirror bears a strong resemblance to the Mirror of Twilight, which was also used to imprison people. The Dark Mirror is also known to give life to the evil within a person. Meanwhile, shards of the Mirror of Twilight were shown to corrupt those that came into contact with them. This has led to a (now defunct) theory that the two mirrors are one and the same. While the two mirrors are different, however, they may still share a connection, though what this connection may be is as yet unclear. As a result of this potential connection, the tribes linked to each mirror- the Dark Tribe and Interlopers/Twili, respectively- may also share a connection, or indeed be one and the same.
The Trident of Power
The Dark Tribe may have been the creators of the Trident, and thus been led by the King of Darkness who wielded said weapon. According to Four Swords Adventures, this king, which happens to be Ganon in Four Swords Adventures, wields the Trident. 
- The Dark Tribe may have been a cross-breed of Sheikah and/or Gerudo peoples.
- Agahnim speaks of being part of "the tribe of evil" in A Link to the Past, which could be the Dark Tribe.
- Veran, Onox and the Zuna, to name only some proposed candidates, are hypothesized to have either been members or descendants of the Dark Tribe. The former two are also hypothesized to belong to the aforementioned Tribe of Evil.
- The comparably vague tribe mentioned in Majora's Mask, referred to only in passing as the "ancient ones", may be or be connected to the Dark Tribe. This group used the power of Majora's Mask in hexing rituals, and the mask was eventually sealed in shadow to prevent misuse. However, it is stated that the tribe has vanished, though this would be consistent with the Dark Tribe having been sealed in the Dark Mirror.
- ↑ http://www.zeldalegends.net/files/text/quotefaqs/FSA%20quotes%20faq.txt
- ↑ "Long ago, a dark tribe invaded Hyrule. They were defeated and imprisoned within the mirror. The tribe's mirror prison was then secreted away and hidden in the forest temple to sever its connection to this world." — White Maiden (Four Swords Adventures)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "That mirror reveals the wickedness within a person and brings it to life. [...] Shadow Link!! Could he be your evil reflection, cast by the Dark Mirror?" — White Maiden (Four Swords Adventures)
- ↑ "The man that defeated us is also the same man who created that shadowy imp. A man from the desert wastes... He is not Vaati." — Red Knight (Four Swords Adventures)
- ↑ "We grant you power to ruin the world. The power of darkness. Evil spirit of magic trident. You are the King of Darkness." — Inscription (Four Swords Adventures)
- ↑ "This indentation is in the shape of a weapon. Do you think the person who took this trident was... Ganondorf?!?" — Red Maiden (Four Swords Adventures)
- ↑ "With this, the seal of the seven wise men is at last broken. It is now only a matter of time before evil power covers this land... After all, the legendary Hero cannot defeat us, the tribe of evil, when we are armed with the Power of Gold." — Agahnim (A Link to the Past)
- ↑ "The mask that was stolen from me... It is called Majora's Mask. It is an accursed item from legend that is said to have been used by an ancient tribe in its hexing rituals. It is said that an evil and wicked power is bestowed upon the one who wears that mask." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "According to legend... the troubles caused by Majora's Mask were so great... the ancient ones, fearing such catastrophe, sealed the mask in shadow forever, preventing its misuse." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)