references or sources.|
Please helpby introducing appropriate citations.
|Game(s)||The Adventure of Link|
A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Oracle of Ages
|Other Media||Super Smash Bros. Melee|
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Palace of the Four Sword
Take 'Em All On!
Broken Giant's Knife
|Voice Actor(s)||Nobuyuki Hiyama|
Dark Link, also known as Link's Shadow or Shadow Link, is a dark reflection of Link. Dark Link is one of the most enigmatic enemy characters in the The Legend of Zelda universe, usually appearing with no backstory and no dialogue and presenting a challenge like no other, as Link has to face his own strength turned against him. Dark Link is more than just a mere battle against a monster for Link, but a battle against himself. As such, he is often the ultimate challenge, and is faced as final boss on one occasion and as the final boss of optional challenges such as the Palace of the Four Sword and Take 'Em All On!.
Attributes of the Dark Links
As the doppelgänger of Link, in all of his appearances, Dark Link bears resemblance to Link in whichever game they're in and wears the same style clothing as him: tunic and a long, floppy cap, with the exception of his entire outfit being black or dark gray instead of green. Moreover, his hair is usually either a shadow black or a dark gray. The majority of the Dark Links are left-handed, but in some appearances (particularly when there was more than one), they have been shown to favor either hand.
Another notable feature aside from the color scheme of his clothes is Dark Link's red eyes, which are usually the only prominent feature against his dark visage.
During his many appearances , Dark Link has had different soundtracks played to commemorate the moment of his presence. The names of the soundtracks/themes are as follows: 
- The Adventure of Link: Dark Link
- Ocarina of Time: Middle Boss Battle
- Twilight Princess: The Dark Interlopers
- Spirit Tracks: Ghost Ship Bellum Battle
- A Link Between Worlds: Streetpass Battle Theme (rearrangement of Temple Theme from The Adventure of Link)
The Adventure of Link
In his first appearance in the series, Dark Link is known as Link's Shadow and appears as the final boss after Link defeats Thunderbird in the Great Palace. He serves as the final test before Link can obtain the Triforce of Courage and wake Princess Zelda. Link's Shadow is the most difficult opponent to appear during Link's second quest to save Hyrule.
Dark Link's appearances in Event Matches during Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl are largely based upon this battle. This battle also formed the basis of the Streetpass Battle Mode of A Link Between Worlds, marking the first time that music from The Adventure of Link returned to use in another Zelda game.
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Dark Link appears as a mini-boss in the Water Temple, where he materializes from Link's reflection in the water to confront his good counterpart. Dark Link reacts to most of Link's movements and attacks, usually defending himself in the process. Dark Link has the same amount of health as Link; the number of Heart Containers the hero has equals the number of hits with the Master Sword it takes to defeat his doppelganger. When hit, Dark Link will fall through the floor and spring back up afterwards. At the beginning of the battle, Dark Link is nearly transparent, but will gradually become opaque as the battle progresses. When he is fully opaque, he will become more aggressive and actively attack Link instead of simply reacting to his moves.
There are a variety of strategies to defeating Dark Link. Link can use either Megaton Hammer, the Deku Nuts, or the Biggoron Sword, or by using his sword and while L/Z targeting him do a horizontal slash on the opposite side of his shield, which gives Link an instant hit. Stocking up on magic potions and using Din's Fire is another option that makes the fight against Dark Link very easy. Din's Fire is one of the best options in both the passive and aggressive part of the battle, as it will cause damage every time, provided that Dark Link is in range. If Link performs a sword thrust, Dark Link will simply hop on to the blade of the sword before attacking (if aggressive). Once Dark Link is defeated, Link is able to continue on to a room containing the Longshot.
Dark Link shares Link's voice, but it is heavily distorted, giving it a demonic feel.
Oracle of Ages
During the second phase of the final battle, Veran creates four red-eyed Dark Links that mimic his movement in reverse and act as dangerous obstacles. Unlike other appearances of Dark Link, these Dark Links do not attack, and are useful in recovering health, as they are easily destroyed and drop one Heart each. They are similar in behavior to Arm-Mimics and Mask-Mimics.
A Link to the Past
In the Game Boy Advance port, after completing both A Link to the Past and the multiplayer Four Swords game, the Palace of the Four Sword is unlocked. The Dungeon Master is four Dark Links, each with a unique tunic, corresponding to the colors of the Links that hold the Four Sword. Reaching the final room of the dungeon causes the four different colored Four Swords to rise into the air, and following this the Dark Links will drop from above. Each Dark Link has slightly different abilities, but they all aggressively attack with sword swipes and do not open their defenses often. They are quite agile, able to leap backwards out of the way of Link's attacks. They are fought one at a time, and they get progressively difficult. The green Dark Link uses the Pegasus Boots to suddenly dash at Link; the red Dark Link uses the Hurricane Spin and the Pegasus Boots. The blue Dark Link also uses Pegasus Boots and the Hurricane Spin, and he can leap into the air to perform a Down Thrust (this is also similar to Link's use of the Quake Medallion). The purple Dark Link is the final Dark Link, and utilizes the Pegasus boots, Hurricane Spin, Down Thrust, and the Sword Beam. Defeating each Dark Link will break the curse on the Four Sword and return it to normal.
Four Swords Adventures
- Main article: Shadow Link
Although Dark Link does not appear in Four Swords Adventures, the very similar Shadow Link appears as a major adversary, appearing as an enemy, boss and playable character. Though according to Zelda Universe, Shadow Link is just another name for Dark Link. 
Dark Link makes a cameo appearance during a cut-scene in Twilight Princess that tells the tale of how the Twili race was banished to the Twilight Realm. Portraying the powerful Dark Interlopers who sought to control the Sacred Realm, Dark Link manages to destroy a Link (portraying a common citizen) before he is banished to the Twilight Realm by the Light Spirits.
Dark Link appears as the final challenge of the Take 'Em All On! mini-game in Castle Town. In this appearance, he attacks using a blade as dark as himself, that subsequently leaves a fitting black trail, and he can also place bombs and shoot arrows. He can also perform a jump attack like Link, only his is higher and much slower. Dark Link also mimics Link's sword attacks when he himself is not attacking, so Link must block his attacks and then counterattack. Strangely enough, the music when fighting him is the same as when Link chased the Ghost Ship during the second phase of the final boss of Phantom Hourglass. He slowly fades from a pure black to a translucent gray as he takes damage, and once defeated, he falls over on his back and disappears, his eyes eerily left open during the whole animation. The room he is fought in is the only one which contains Recovery Hearts, even though the hostess of the Take 'Em All On game says that there is no way to recover health in the challenge rooms.
A Link Between Worlds
The character appears again in the 3DS game, however does not play a part in the story. After the player has received a "Streetpass Hit", a 'Shadow' of Link will appear waiting outside the house of Link or behind the Sanctuary. Link can choose to challenge it. In this mode of the game, as the "Temple Theme" from The Adventure of Link plays, the Player takes the role of Link and the Streetpass Player is represented by "Shadow Link". Although "Shadow Link" is ultimately controlled by the 3DS CPU, the difficulty of the battle depends on the experience both players had at the time of the Streetpass, and also the items that each player has acquired(in the traditional single player quest). This mode was inspired by the final boss fight of the earlier NES game from which the Temple Theme originates.
- It has been noted that Dark Link is akin to Link in The Legend of Zelda as Peter Pan's shadow was to Peter Pan in the production, Peter Pan. Both characters struggle with their shadows, both defeating them in order to move on with their quests, and both shadows have similar moves and actions used to try to outwit their true form. The fact that Peter Pan and Link both have similar attire only emphasizes such a connection. Despite these similarities, however, there has been no confirmation of a connection between the two by Nintendo, and any perceived connection is merely fan speculation.
- In his battle in The Adventure of Link, he dodges or blocks most of the attacks that Link attempts but is vulnerable when he jumps. This flaw can be taken advantage of by simply standing in a corner and repeatedly swinging Link's sword toward Link's Shadow. Link's Shadow will attempt to jump at Link and keep running into the attacks, making a rather difficult battle seem less difficult. However, this does not work in the original Disk System version, as the A.I. was simplified when the game was transferred to cartridge format.
- In his appearance in Ocarina of Time, Dark Link appears next to a dead, blackened tree. This may serve as a contrast to the living green trees that surrounded Link in his youth, and to emphasize the light/dark scenario.
- In A Link to the Past, the GBA-exclusive Dark Links have the same sword and shield that Link has on at the moment, but they always do the same amount of damage. If Link does not have any shield, his dark counterparts will have the Fighter's Shield.
- In Ocarina of Time 3D, Dark Link is detailed and textured, granting him an appearance similar to the Dark Interlopers visual aides. When defeated, he now makes the sound effect that Link normally makes when knocked to the ground.
- When the player begins crossing the room in the Water Temple containing Dark Link, Link has the usual shadow of his feet on the ground. When he passes the dead tree, however, his shadow disappears and Dark Link materializes.
- Dark Link from Ocarina of Time truly is an evil duplicate of Link, right down to his idle animations. Stunning Dark Link with Deku Nuts in a specific way will cause him to mirror Link's every move. This can have a comical effect; for example, if Link is down to a fraction of a heart and leans over panting, Dark Link will also act fatigued. Dark Link also imitates Link's idle animations, such as checking his sword and tunic.
- Dark Link has behavior programmed for Link using Nayru's Love, even though Link can't get that item without the Longshot, which is gained after defeating Dark Link.
Battle Music (Spirit Tracks)
Ocarina of Time
Ocarina of Time 3D
A Link Between Worlds
Super Smash Bros. Melee Event 18
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Event 18
- "Created by a wicked magical force (some say by Ganon himself), Dark Link is an evil shadow capable of duplicating Link's every move." — Dark Link, Zelda Universe.
- "Dark Link
Conquer yourself!" — Navi (Ocarina of Time)
- "Link’s Shadow: A black shadow whose shape is identical to Link. Once a traveler reaches the depths of the Great Palace, this creature oozes out of their shadow and attacks, serving as their final trial. Like Link, it fights using a sword and shield, jumping at will." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 109)
- "You must time your attacks carefully to land a blow on this enemy, because it seems to anticipate your every action!" (Ocarina of Time manual, pg. 83)
- "After you defeat Dark Link, the bars on the northern door rise allowing you to access the room and claim the Longshot in the large chest there." (Ocarina of Time manual, pg. 83)
- "However, you'll find nothing to restore your health inside. Nothing at all!" — Hostess (Spirit Tracks)
- Streetpass Battle Mode, Youtube.
- "I was set upon and defeated by someone who looked exactly like me AND had all my powers. Every magic spell I used--it threw back at me! Now this...thing, disguised as YOU, Link, has taken over the kingdom. My people are suffering under his evil rule!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 4)
- "You're no son of mine! Get out! Get out of here!...And never come back!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 1)
- "Hey, everyone! It's me--Link! Back from Hyrule! Is it something I said? IS it my breath?" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 2)
- "I've got to see Queen Seline. Maybe she can tell me what's going on." (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 2)
- "Hey, you! What are you doing on the throne? Where's Queen Seline?" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 2)
- "She is my prisoner...just like you!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 2)
- "My people! Now all will see what happens to those who defy the NEW king of Calatia! [...] Silence! I am the king! You have committed treason against me! There can be but ONE penalty! Executioner! Stand forth!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. )
- "Hold fast! I, Queen Seline, demand my right of LIFE TRIAL! By Calatian law, anyone sentenced to death has the right to trial by combat to prove their innocence!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 4, 5)
- "Master... The people are restless! Is it wise to let them see this?" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 5)
- "I beat her once already, and she's already been severely weakened by the chains! What better way to crush the people's spirits than to defeat their queen again...before their very eyes! When I am finished, NONE will defy me!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 5)
- "In accordance with the ancient laws...I choose this man to fight in my place, as my champion!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 5)
- "What? I...uh...I mean...so be it." (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 5)
- "I'm not here. This is a magical projection of my spirit! Only you can see or hear me! You must return to Hyrule tonight! Walk through this magical pathway and you'll be back in North Palace! I need you, Link! [...] Link, the north Palace is under attack by Ganon's armies!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 6)
- "But...how can I? My parents...my homeland are all depending on me! I can't leave them!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 6)
- "I have no choice. Let the call be sent out...to the Mountain of Death! Hear me..LORD GANON!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 7)
- "It is the Day of the Triforce! He will be without his Triforce of Courage! Link has grown soft...too dependent on its power! Without it--he is DOOMED! His own fear will destroy him!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 7)
- "Yes...it is the Day of the Triforce. Once each decade, for one day, from dawn to dusk, all three Triforces...Wisdom, Power, and Courage disappear. No one knows wither or wherefore...just that it is so." (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 8)
- "Prepare to die, weakling!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 9)
- "I let the woman I love face her doom alone just so I could be here to put an end to your tyranny--and I will, no matter what!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 10)
- "Wait! Listen to me! Zelda lives! It was a ruse! I posed as Zelda to trick you!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 10)
- "So...you're the Shadow! The one I met at the end of the Great Palace in my second adventure against Ganon! You know, you've made me REALLY angry...but I MIGHT let you live if you order your Daira guards to drop their weapons!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 10)
- "Guards! Surrender NOW!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 10)
- "Among those living in the light, interlopers who excelled at magic appeared. Wielding powerful sorcery, they tried to establish dominion over the Sacred Realm. It was then that the goddesses ordered us three light spirits to intervene. We sealed away the great magic those individuals had mastered. You know this magic...It is the dark power you seek...the Fused Shadow." — Lanayru (Twilight Princess)
- "What do you think happened to the magic wielders who tried to rule the Sacred Realm? They were banished. They were chased across the sacred lands of Hyrule and driven into another realm by the goddesses." — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- Peter Pan, by J.M. Barrie, Chapter 2: The Shadow
|Names in Other Regions|
| Dark Link|
|Spanish||Link Oscuro||Dark Link|
| Link Tenebroso
| Tenebrous Link|
|French|| Link noir
Ombre de Link
| Black Link|
Der schwarze Link
| Shadow Link|
The Black Link
|Italian||Link Ombra||Shadow Link|