From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
|First appearance||Ocarina of Time|
|Latest appearance||The Minish Cap|
|Family|| Unnamed father|
Dampé (Pronounced /dæm ˈpeɪ/, dam-PAY) is a recurring character in The Legend of Zelda series who often works as a gravekeeper.
Appearances and Biography
Ocarina of Time
Dampé lives in a shack in Kakariko Graveyard in Ocarina of Time. He presides over the graveyard, sleeping during the day and pacing it at night. Dampé's Heart-Pounding Grave-Digging Tour is his famed nightly romp: he unearths any plot of dirt along his route through the graveyard when asked, either revealing a lucky Heart Piece, some Rupees, or sometimes, nothing at all. A young boy walks the graveyard during the day, mimicking Dampé's walk and chastising Link anytime he tries to pull on a gravestone, threatening to tell Dampé.
Dampé died during Link's seven-year disappearance, however his ghost can be found in his grave. He challenges Link to a race of sorts and rewards him with his favorite treasure, should he succeed, as promised in the diary that he left posthumously inside his abode. Beating him in the race in under a minute also warrants a Heart Piece. If Link does not finish in under a minute after obtaining Dampe's favorite treasure, he will receive a red Rupee instead. After obtaining the Hookshot, it can be used on a torch to cut a few seconds off the clock in the race, allowing Link to beat it in less than a minute.
Majora's MaskMajora's Mask as the gravekeeper for the Ikana Graveyard. Ironically, though terrified of ghosts, he keeps a haunted graveyard. Little is known about Dampé, but it's insinuated that he used to visit the graveyard with his father. Apparently, he also has a wife.
On the third day, Dampé can be found underground beneath a gravestone searching for the treasure of Ikana's Royal Family. However, his torch has gone out, so he asks Link to guide him with his fairy's light. By Z-targeting him, Link can lead Dampé to mounds of dirt where he will sometimes dig up blue fire. Once three such fires are found, they come together and reveal the "leader of ghosts", causing Dampé to run away. Once Link defeats this enemy, a treasure chest containing an Empty Bottle reveals itself. If Link leaves this area, he will find himself in Dampé's house.
Dampé is one of very few characters from Ocarina of Time to appear completely unaltered in terms of name and personality in Majora's Mask.
Four Swords Adventures
In Four Swords Adventures, Dampé lives in the graveyard found to the far north in The Swamp. He is supposed to be the caretaker of the graveyard. He is however somewhat plagued by monsters, so he can't do his work. He is also tormented by a "shadowy guy" whom he warns Link about, surprised at how similar Link is to him.
Dampé then tells the four Links about a mirror, in which a dark tribe was sealed in a long time ago, informing the four Links that it is hidden somewhere in the Forest of Light.
The Minish Cap
Dampé is also featured in The Minish Cap. He lives in a house in the Royal Valley and tends to the graveyard. He gives Link the key to the graveyard, opening the way to the Royal Crypt. When spoken to after completing the mini-dungeon, he will state a secret path in the Lost Woods that leads to fifty rupees.
|Dampé (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
||The gravedigger at the cemetery. They say he has the power to speak with the dead. He fuses the Kinstones he digs up with the local ghosts.|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Did you see the huge skeleton at the back of this graveyard? My father once said that was all that was left of the former Royal Soldier who once guarded this graveyard." — Dampé (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "I'm not going to give up. I'll keep asking you until you say yes. That's how I courted my current wife, you know." — Dampé (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "Hey kid! Don't mess around with the graves! I'm Dampé the Gravekeeper!" — Dampé (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Have you seen Mr. Dampé, who lives in the graveyard up ahead? It's (insert time) right now, so he's probably asleep in his hut." — Sabooro (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Let me give you an advertisement for my side business... Dampé the Gravekeeper's Heart-Pounding Gravedigging Tour! What's gonna come out?! What's gonna come out?! When I start digging, we'll find out!" — Dampé (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Don't cause trouble! I'll tell Dampé!" — Little Boy (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Little kids can't go on the "Heart-Pounding Gravedigging Tour" described on the sign. Since I can't do that, I'm just imitating Dampé the gravekeeper all day." — Little Boy (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "I tell you, I saw him! I saw the ghostly figure of Dampé the gravekeeper sinking into his grave. It looked like he was holding some kind of treasure!" — Ichiro (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Whoever reads this, please enter my grave. I will let you have my stretching, shrinking keepsake. I'm waiting for you. --Dampé" — Dampé's Diary (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "You were very quick to be able to keep up with me! Hehehe! As a reward, I'm going to give you my treasure. It's called the Hookshot!" — Dampé (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "I am Dampe, the grave keeper, who watches over this graveyard. My face is frightening, but I am not a bad person!" — Dampé (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "Soon, a whole lot of frightful ghosts will appear. [...] Aaaieeee!!! Th-they're out!" — Dampé (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "I came looking for the Royal Family's legendary treasure, but my torch has gone out." — Dampé (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "...A fairy? Oh, it was the fairy's light. In that case, it's just perfect. [...] I'm sorry, but could you walk in front of me and light the way?" — Dampé (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "Waah!!! It's the leader of the ghosts!" — Dampé (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "My name's Dampé. I'm supposed to be the caretaker at this here graveyard. Only I can't take care of a single thing right now. I'm helpless!!!" — Dampé (Four Swords Adventures)
- ↑ "This shadowy guy has been stirring up trouble lately. Actually, he looks like you!" — Dampé (Four Swords Adventures)
- ↑ "Legends speak of a mirror in which a dark tribe was sealed away long ago. I understand it's supposed to be hidden now somewhere in the Forest of Light." — Dampé (Four Swords Adventures)
- ↑ "Left, left, left...Up, up, up...Dang! What's that last turn?" — Dampé (The Minish Cap)
|Names in Other Regions|