Dampé from Ocarina of Time
|Game(s)|| Ocarina of Time|
Four Swords Adventures
The Minish Cap
A Link Between Worlds
|Era|| Force Era|
Era of the Hero of Time
Era of Shadow
|Family|| Unnamed father (MM)|
Unnamed wife (MM)
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Dampé lives in a shack in the Kakariko Village Graveyard. He presides over the graveyard, sleeping during the day and pacing it at night. Dampé's Heart-Pounding Gravedigging Tour is his famed nightly romp: he unearths any plot of dirt along his route through the graveyard when asked, either revealing a Piece of Heart, Rupees, or nothing at all. A young boy walks the graveyard during the day, mimicking Dampé's walk and chastising Link anytime he tries to pull on a gravestone, threatening to tell Dampé.
Dampé died during Link's seven-year disappearance, however his ghost can be found in his grave. He challenges Link to a race and rewards him with the Hookshot as promised in his diary that he left posthumously inside his shack. Finishing the race in under a minute also warrants a Piece of Heart. If Link does not finish in under a minute after obtaining the Hookshot, he will receive a Red Rupee instead. After obtaining the Hookshot, it can be used on a torch to cut a few seconds off the clock in the race, allowing Link to beat it more easily in less than a minute.
In Majora's Mask, Dampé appears as the gravekeeper for the Ikana Graveyard. Though terrified of ghosts, he keeps a haunted graveyard. Little is known about Dampé, but it is insinuated that he used to visit the graveyard with his father. Apparently, he also has a wife.
On the third day, Dampé can be found underground beneath a gravestone searching for the treasure of Ikana's Royal Family. However, his torch has gone out, so he asks Link to guide him with his fairy's light. By Z-targeting him, Link can lead Dampé to mounds of dirt where he will sometimes dig up blue fire. Once three such fires are found, they come together and reveal a Big Poe, causing Dampé to run away. Once Link defeats this enemy, a Treasure Chest containing a Bottle reveals itself. In Majora's Mask 3D, this was changed to a Piece of Heart instead. If Link leaves the area, he will find himself in Dampé's house, with Dampé hiding underneath his bed.
Four Swords Adventures
In Four Swords Adventures, Dampé lives in the graveyard found to the far north in The Swamp. He is the caretaker of the graveyard, but since monsters roam the place, he can not do his work. He is also tormented by Shadow Link whom he warns the Links about, surprised at how similar they are to him. Dampé then tells the four Links about a mirror, in which a dark tribe was sealed in a long time ago, informing them that it is hidden somewhere in the Forest of Light.
The Minish Cap
In The Minish Cap, Dampé lives in a house in the Royal Valley and tends to the graveyard. He gives Link the key to the graveyard, opening the way to the Royal Crypt. When spoken to after completing the mini-dungeon, he will state a secret path in the Lost Woods that leads to 50 Rupees.
|Dampé (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
||The gravedigger at the cemetery. They say he has the power to speak with the dead. He fuses the Kinstones he digs up with the local ghosts.|
A Link Between Worlds
In A Link Between Worlds, Dampé appears again as a gravekeeper. He initially appears to be dull-witted, as he refers to himself in third person, but he also claims to understand that the Captain only visits the Sanctuary to see Seres. While Link is searching for the Captain, he encounters Seres and Dampé speaking. After Seres becomes trapped within the Sanctuary, Dampé remembers that the Priest spoke of a secret passage into the Sanctuary and prompts Link to use the Forgotten Sword to make his way through it.
Dampé's Lorulean counterpart also resides in a graveyard. He is shocked when Link speaks to him, as nobody has spoken to him in a long time. He explains that he was once a gravekeeper, but there are now no more graves.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "I tell you, I saw him! I saw the ghostly figure of Dampé the gravekeeper sinking into his grave. It looked like he was holding some kind of treasure!" — Ichiro (Ocarina of Time)
- "Did you see the huge skeleton at the back of this graveyard? My father once said that was all that was left of the former Royal Soldier who once guarded this graveyard." — Dampé (Majora's Mask)
- "I'm not going to give up. I'll keep asking you until you say yes. That's how I courted my current wife, you know." — Dampé (Majora's Mask)
- "Hey kid! Don't mess around with the graves! I'm Dampé the Gravekeeper!" — Dampé (Ocarina of Time)
- "Have you seen Mr. Dampé, who lives in the graveyard up ahead? It's [TIME] right now, so he's probably asleep in his hut." — Sabooro (Ocarina of Time)
- "Let me give you an advertisement for my side business... Dampé the Gravekeeper's Heart-Pounding Gravedigging Tour! What's gonna come out?! What's gonna come out?! When I start digging, we'll find out!" — Dampé (Ocarina of Time)
- "Don't cause trouble! I'll tell Dampé!" — Little Boy (Ocarina of Time)
- "Little kids can't go on the "Heart-Pounding Gravedigging Tour" described on the sign. Since I can't do that, I'm just imitating Dampé the gravekeeper all day." — Little Boy (Ocarina of Time)
- "Whoever reads this, please enter my grave. I will let you have my stretching, shrinking keepsake. I'm waiting for you. --Dampé" — Dampé's Diary (Ocarina of Time)
- "You were very quick to be able to keep up with me! Hehehe! As a reward, I'm going to give you my treasure. It's called the Hookshot!" — Dampé (Ocarina of Time)
- "I am Dampe, the grave keeper, who watches over this graveyard. My face is frightening, but I am not a bad person!" — Dampé (Majora's Mask)
- "Soon, a whole lot of frightful ghosts will appear. [...] Aaaieeee!!! Th-they're out!" — Dampé (Majora's Mask)
- "I came looking for the Royal Family's legendary treasure, but my torch has gone out." — Dampé (Majora's Mask)
- "...A fairy? Oh, it was the fairy's light. In that case, it's just perfect. [...] I'm sorry, but could you walk in front of me and light the way?" — Dampé (Majora's Mask)
- "Waah!!! It's the leader of the ghosts!" — Dampé (Majora's Mask)
- "My name's Dampé. I'm supposed to be the caretaker at this here graveyard. Only I can't take care of a single thing right now. I'm helpless!!!" — Dampé (Four Swords Adventures)
- "This shadowy guy has been stirring up trouble lately. Actually, he looks like you!" — Dampé (Four Swords Adventures)
- "Legends speak of a mirror in which a dark tribe was sealed away long ago. I understand it's supposed to be hidden now somewhere in the Forest of Light." — Dampé (Four Swords Adventures)
- "Left, left, left...Up, up, up...Dang! What's that last turn?" — Dampé (The Minish Cap)
- "Coming and going! Going and coming! The captain stops by here more than anyone... You think he wants to yak with the priest? No, sir--just makin' excuses to see Seres there. She hasn't got a clue, either. But I s'pose that's what's so lovely about Seres. Carefree as a bird... But ol' Dampé sees more'n people think. Like those paintings on the castle walls this morning. There's trouble brew--" — Dampé (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Wh-what's happening in there? Th-th-the doors are shut tight. Can't get them open! Wh-what can we do? That was Seres crying out! Dampé doesn't have a key! Dampé just digs the graves around—! Wait! Dampé remembers! Dampé once heard the priest talking about a secret way into the Sanctuary, hidden right in my Graveyard. Bad luck, Dampé thinks, messing around with graves. Worse luck, going under the ground... But YOU! You do it. If you get scared, just swing that sword around!" — Dampé (A Link Between Worlds)
- "C-can it be? You can see Dampé? Not a soul has spoken to Dampé for so long. Dampé's old bones are near to falling apart--it's been so long!" — Dampé (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Dampé used to be the gravekeeper here, but now there aren't any graves to keep. Was there something the graves were protecting...? Dampé can't even remember." — Dampé? (A Link Between Worlds)