The Cyclone Slate as seen in-game
The Cyclone Slate is a mystical item in Phantom Hourglass.
The slate is given to Link by Golden Chief Cylos in the Uncharted Island, after he solves the puzzle that gives him access to the island's interior. It is a stone tablet bearing the image of Golden Chief Cylos that serves as the warping function of the game.
The Cyclone Slate can be accessed by tapping on the Menu screen in the lower-left hand corner of the screen and then selecting the slate. To use it, the young hero must find the six Golden Frogs scattered throughout the World of the Ocean King and write down the symbol that they teach him. Drawing a symbol on it will warp him to the area in which he learned the symbol. However, it must be noted that in order to warp to a specific area, Link must first learn the symbol from the specific Golden Frog.
- It is interesting to note that the slate looks much like a Game Boy Advance cartridge.
- Almost all of the warp symbols are based on Greek letters. For example, the symbol drawn to warp to the golden frog near Molida Island is actually exactly the same as the Greek lowercase letter phi, and the symbol drawn to warp to the Golden Frog near Dee Ess Island is similar to the uppercase Greek Letter omega.
- Oddly, the battle music plays whenever Link uses the slate.
- "That is the Cyclone Slate! By drawing symbols on it, you can ride cyclones too! Want to leap elsewhere with your ship? Then spring into action with the slate!" — Golden Chief Cylos (Phantom Hourglass)
- "You can move your ship vast distances on the winds by using the Cyclone Slate. There is a different symbol for each spot to which you want to soar. Ask my gilt minions, found at myriad spots in the sea, what the symbols might be! Catch their attention with a good blast of your cannon, slow-toe! That will do it!" — Golden Chief Cylos (Phantom Hourglass)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||カエルのラシン盤 (Kaeru no Rashin-ban)|
|Spanish||Pizarra de los Torbellinos|
|French||Ardoise des Cyclones|
|Italian||Lavagna di gorgo|