From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
The Composer Brothers, Flat (left) and Sharp
|Game(s)||Ocarina of Time|
Song of Storms (Majora's Mask)
In their first appearance, the Composer Brothers are deceased composers who during their life had served the Royal Family of Hyrule. Sharp reveals that he and his brother were originally from Kakariko Village, founded by the Sheikah, which may imply that they were Sheikah in life. They were known to be great composers because of the many musical masterpieces they wrote; however, they were also on a mission to analyze the hereditary mysterious powers of the Royal Family. Although they could never quite understand the true power behind the Triforce, they completed a study about controlling the flow of time via the use of ocarinas. Unfortunately, Ganondorf tried to steal the results of their research and threatened to kill them if they didn't reveal the results of their studies. The Composer Brothers, dedicated to not let the King of the Gerudos reap the fruits of their research, gave up their lives in order to protect the secret they had spent years researching.
After their death, they kept serving the royal family as Poes by guarding Kakariko Graveyard. Their tombstones are aligned right next to the huge headstone that guards the entrance to the Royal Family's Tomb. Link can speak to the deceased brothers by checking their gravestones and, although he will be attacked at first, they will later reveal that they were each studying a different song: one to summon the sun and another to summon the moon. Their studies combined yielded to the creation of the Sun's Song, which is the secret song they guarded so dearly that eventually led them to their deaths. Once Link enters the tomb, he can find the Sun's Song inscribed at the end, along with a poem written by the Composer Brothers to accompany the melody.
Their Terminan counterparts make an appearance in Majora's Mask, where Sharp has sold his soul to the devil and has locked his younger brother up in the depths of the Ikana Graveyard. Flat teaches Link the Song of Storms (which he had composed), so he could use it to heal Sharp's cursed soul. These versions of the Composer Brothers are actually servants of the Ikana Royal Family, as opposed to their Hyrulean counterparts being servants of the Royal Family of Hyrule as they were in Ocarina of Time.
Sharp is one of the two Composer Brothers that haunted the Kakariko Graveyard in Ocarina of Time. They created the Sun's Song, which calls upon the Sun and Moon. When Link visits their tombstones, the two Composer Brothers attack, but then realize Link is not one of Ganondorf's men and has good intentions.
Sharp's Terminan counterpart in Majora's Mask is nearly identical. He is the one of the two Composer Brothers that haunts Ikana Canyon and has settled in the Spring Water Cave at the top of the valley. When the land of Ikana Canyon was taken over, Sharp was tricked into selling his soul to the devil. He then locked up his brother Flat beneath the Ikana Graveyard, and had him guarded by an Iron Knuckle. Due to Sharp's curse, the Ikana River has gone dry, causing the Music Box House to stop working and allowing Gibdos to roam the canyon freely.
Sharp composed a song called the Melody of Darkness. The Song of Death has the ability to drain the life from all who listen to it, and when Link confronts him, he uses it against the young hero. However, Link plays the Song of Storms, the song Flat composed to get rid of his brother's curse, and Sharp's soul is instantly healed. Sharp then tells Link of the curse on Ikana Valley, and how to gain entrance to the Ancient Castle of Ikana.
If Link tries to play the Song of Healing, which cured every other spirit in the game, Sharp will react and say how soothing the song is, but quickly regain his demeanor and say it's too late for him to be healed, and continue killing Link with the deadly music.
Flat is one of the two Composer Brothers that haunted the Kakariko Graveyard in Ocarina of Time. They created the Sun's Song, which calls upon the Sun and Moon. When Link visits their gravesites, the two Composer Brothers attack, but then realize Link is not one of Ganondorf's men and has good intentions.
Flat's Terminan counterpart in Majora's Mask is nearly identical. Flat is the one of the two Composer Brothers that was locked up beneath Ikana Graveyard by his own brother Sharp, and guarded by an Iron Knuckle. After defeating the Iron Knuckle, Flat's soul is freed, and in return teaches the young hero the Song of Storms, a song he had composed to cure Sharp of his curse. Flat requests Link that he help cleanse his brother's black soul, allowing the two of them to finally have their eternal rest.
- Sharp and Flat are possibly based on Mario and Luigi from the Super Mario Bros. series. Sharp, the older brother, is a bit smaller and chubbier than his younger brother. Also, Sharp has a red sun-symbol on his cap, while Flat has a green moon-symbol.
- In Majora's Mask, Flat's moon symbol is changed to a green version of Sharp's sun symbol. The Triforce-shaped brooches are also changed into generic Poe-like ones.
- Sharp and Flat's names are playoffs of notes in musical scales.
- ↑ "Royal Composer Bros. / Sharp the Elder / R.I.P." — Graveyard tombstone (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Royal Composer Bros. / Flat the Younger / R.I.P." — Graveyard tombstone (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "We brothers also served the Royal Family, and were assigned to study the hereditary mystic powers of the family." — Composer Brothers (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "R.I.P. Here lie the souls of those who swore fealty to the Royal Family of Hyrule. The Sheikah, guardians of the Royal Family and founders of Kakariko, watch over these spirits in their eternal slumber." — Kakariko Tombstone (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "I am one of the ghostly composer brothers of Kakariko Village. All the people in this village are born to serve the Royal Family of Hyrule." — Sharp (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Back then, people called us great composers because of the many musical masterpieces we wrote. But we brothers were not just composers. We had a mission to analyze the mysterious powers of Hyrule's Royal Family." — Composer Brothers (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Though we never could figure out the power of the Triforce, we had almost completed our study of controlling time with the tones of ocarinas. Uh, I mean... Actually, we did complete that study! We would have been famous, if that hateful Ganondorf had not tried to steal our results. We could never let him reap the fruits of our research! That's why we gave our lives to protect the secret." — Composer Brothers (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "To tell the truth, each of us was studying a different song, one to summon the sun and another to summon the moon. If you were really sent by a member of the Royal Family, I will tell you about the results of our study. We inscribed it on the royal tombstone." — Composer Brothers (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "The rising sun will eventually set, / A newborn's life will fade. From sun to moon, moon to sun... / Give peaceful rest to the living dead." — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 "Oh...Sharp, my dear brother. He sold his soul to the devil and was the one who locked me in here..." — Flat (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "Here is written the song that shall cleanse his cursed, black soul." — Flat (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "Are you the one who freed my soul? I served the Ikana Royal family. I am the composer called Flat. The songs connected to the Royal Family that remain here were all composed by my brother and I." — Flat (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 "Oh, what? You're not one of Ganondorf's men, are you?" — Composer Brothers (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "We dead should not be lingering here in this land. It was all a trick of the masked one who had upset things." — Sharp (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "If that is the case, then sleep gently to the melody of darkness that the great composer, Sharp, shall play...and join the ranks of the dead." — Sharp (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "Hmm? Somehow, my heart is eased. This melody has a serenity to it... And yet... To one of the dead and darkness, like myself, a song like that no longer holds meaning for me. You shall end your futile resistance and quickly join the ranks of the dead." — Sharp (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "With my brother's song, you have broken the curse that was placed upon me. It is all thanks to you." — Sharp (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "You who do not fear the dead, learn well the song that is inscribed behind me... And if you ever meet my brother, I'd like you to inform him... The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears. The thunder that strikes the earth is my anger! ...I have made my request." — Flat (Majora's Mask)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Composer Brothers||Sharp the Elder||Flat the Younger|
|Japanese||作曲家兄弟 (Sakkyokuka Keitei)||兄 シャープ (Ani Shāpu)||弟 フラット (Otōto Furatto)|
|Spanish||Hermanos compositores||Sostenido el viejo||Bemol el joven|
|French||Frères musiciens||Dièse l'aîné||Bémol le cadet|
|German||Gebrüder Brahmstein||Johann der Ältere||Ludwig der Jüngere|