Chris Houlihan Room
|Chris Houlihan Room|
|Game(s)||A Link to the Past|
|Item(s)||Blue Rupees x45|
The Chris Houlihan Room is a secret room in A Link to the Past. It contains 45 Blue Rupees scattered on a shining blue floor and a Telepathy Tile on the back wall. While the room exists in the Game Boy Advance version of the game, the Telepathy Tile is not there. The room is not an intended part of normal gameplay, but rather a crash prevention measure. It is a failsafe room that the game sends Link to when it cannot determine which room he should be sent to.
During September and October of 1990, Nintendo Power held a contest in which a randomly selected winner would get their name programmed in a future NES game. The winner of the contest was Chris Houlihan, whose name appears in his own secret room in A Link to the Past.
There are five different ways to access the room. One of the most well known methods involves a series of dashes using the Pegasus Boots, starting from the Sanctuary all the way to the Sewer Passageway's entrance. If executed correctly, Link will fall in the underground room. If Link exits the room, he will find himself outside of his house.
The bug occurs when the game detects an error in Link's Y coordinate. It is known to happen 2 different ways:
- By using a Bomb to knock Link into the lowest few pixels of the screen. Link can also use the Pegasus Boots to knockback himself backwards. Next, using the Pegasus Boots facing downwards into a screen transition, finding a hole, and dropping into it.
- Going into certain rooms (like the Sanctuary or the cave northeast of the Lost Woods) and dashing out of it. As Link leaves the room, the camera shifts down slightly. Then, Link must find a hole and stand next to it, setting a Bomb down and allowing the blast to knock him into the hole.
- "My name is Chris Houlihan. This is my top secret room. Keep it between us, OK?" — Telepathy Tile (A Link to the Past)
- Triforce Legend, Salle de Chris Houlihan dans A Link to the Past (GBA), YouTube, published October 9, 2013, retrieved October 6, 2015.
- "Have you ever imagined yourself in a NES game? [...] One winner will be randomly selected, and his or her name will be programmed into a future Nintendo game!" (Nintendo Power Volume 16 (Nintendo Power), pg. 13)
- MaddHatts, 5 Different Entrances to the Chris Houlihan Room, YouTube, published February 15, 2010, retrieved October 6, 2015.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||秘密の部屋 (Himitsu no Heya)||Secret Room|