The Biggoron's Sword as seen in Ocarina of Time
|Game(s)|| Ocarina of Time|
Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages
|Other media|| Soulcalibur II|
|Comparable Item(s)|| Giant's Knife|
Broken Giant's Knife
Broken Goron's Sword
The Biggoron's Sword is an enormous Sword crafted by the immense Biggoron. It appears in several games as an alternative to the one-handed Master Sword. It is obtained from Biggoron as the ultimate goal of a trading sequence.
Appearances and Uses
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, the sword is a much more sturdy version of the Giant's Knife, which Biggoron crafted for a certain Carpenter. It is the reward for completing the Adult Link Trading Sequence of the game. This blade is much longer than the Master Sword, and it must always be wielded with two hands, meaning that Link cannot defend with a shield while wielding it. However, the damage dealt by the Biggoron Sword is twice that of the Master Sword.
The Biggoron's Sword is incapable of defeating Ganon's beast form as only the Master Sword can deliver the final blow. However, it can be useful during the battle, as Ganon knocks the Master Sword out of reach. Having an extra sword after this makes the battle significantly shorter and easier.
In Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages, the Biggoron's Sword can only be acquired in a Linked Game by use of a password. In Oracle of Ages, the sword is obtained from the Goron Elder who resides at the Goron Shooting Gallery. In Oracle of Seasons, it is obtained from Biggoron himself. While every other item in these games is assigned to one hand and can be used in conjunction with another, the Biggoron's Sword takes up both slots as it is held with both hands. Link swings it in a whole 180-degree arc, as opposed to the other swords' 90-degree slash.
Receiving this sword, along with many other items, is entirely optional, and will not affect the main plot.
- The sword is said to be extremely heavy, which is why Link wields it with two hands. This makes it odd that Link would need to wield it with both hands, if the Golden Gauntlets allow Link to lift heavy objects that can be several times his weight. This is likely a gameplay mechanic. However, the sheer length of the sword may make it difficult to control with only the use of one hand.
- In the original versions of Ocarina of Time and Master Quest, Biggoron's Sword is sheathed in the same scabbard as the Master Sword. However, in Ocarina of Time 3D this blade receives its own scabbard.
- Although the shield cannot be used while the sword is out, Link attempts to protect himself with the blade with the R button. If Link does not have a shield due to a Like Like, he cannot do this, oddly enough.
- Although Biggoron's sword is supposedly unbreakable, Link receives it as the Broken Goron Sword. However, Biggoron states after receiving the sword that it is his finest work, perhaps suggesting that the original blade was imperfect.
- Although in Ocarina of Time Biggoron's Sword is twice as powerful as the Master Sword, in the Oracle Series it and the Master Sword appear to have the same strength.
- Despite the inability to wield Biggoron's Sword in one hand being an important part of it in the Legend of Zelda series, in Soulcalibur II Link is able to wield it in one hand, holding the Hylian Shield in the other. The description outright states that it is designed to be wielded in one hand. However, due to this, it drains Link's energy.
- The sword resembles the real Renaissance German sword known as a zweihänder, although it has a wider blade than is typical.
- "They say that Biggoron's Sword is super sharp and will never break." — Gossip Stone (Ocarina of Time)
- "My Biggoron tool broke, so I was going to Goron City to get it repaired." — Mutoh (Ocarina of Time)
- "You handed in the Claim Check and got the Biggoron's Sword! This blade was forged by a master smith and won't break!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "Long reach and has good offense but requires energy to wield" — Weapon description (Soulcalibur II)
- "You traded the Poacher's Saw for a Broken Goron's Sword! Visit Biggoron to get it repaired!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ダイゴロン刀 (Daigoron Tou)||Big Goron's Sword|
|Spanish||Espada de Biggoron||Biggoron's Sword|
|French||Épée de Biggoron||Same as above|
|Épée de Grogoron||Same as above|
|German||Biggoron-Schwert||Same as above|
|Italian|| Spada di Grande Goron (OoT)
Spada Biggoron (OoX)
| Big Goron's Sword|
|Chinese||大鼓隆之剑 (Dà Gǔlōng zhī Jiàn)||Big Goron's Sword|