Ballad of the Wind Fish
|"Ballad of the Wind Fish"|
Link playing the "Ballad of the Wind Fish" before the Wind Fish's Egg
|Game(s)|| Link's Awakening|
|Power(s)||Awakening the Wind Fish|
|Learned in|| Mabe Village, Animal Village (LA)|
Milk Bar (MM)
The "Ballad of the Wind Fish" is a recurring song in the Zelda series. It first appeared in Link's Awakening where it played a major role in the game. It later reappeared in Majora's Mask, although the song is vastly different.
The "Ballad of the Wind Fish" in Link's Awakening is also known as the "song of awakening", for it has the ability to awaken sleeping people. A girl named Marin who lives in Mabe Village of Koholint Island can be seen in the village's square, singing the song. When Link obtains the Ocarina, Marin will teach him the song, which is used to open the Wind Fish's Egg after acquiring all Eight Instruments of the Sirens. The song is also used to wake Walrus when blocking the entrance to Yarna Desert. It is later revealed that Koholint Island is just a dream by the Wind Fish, so awakening him will make the island disappear. After defeating the Shadow Nightmares, Link plays the "Ballad of the Wind Fish" to awaken the Wind Fish, making the island disappear.
The "Ballad of the Wind Fish" plays a major role in Link's Awakening, and can be heard multiple times on certain occasions. In the opening scene when Link gets shipwrecked, some notes of the song can be heard playing in the background, and again when Marin discovers him unconscious on Toronbo Shores. Part of the song also plays when Link acquires any of the Eight Instruments of the Sirens. A remixed version of the song is used as the Southern Face Shrine theme. The song also plays during the final scene, the credits, the secret ending, and the game over screen.
Each part of the song is played by one of Link's transformations. While in the Milk Bar, Toto, the band manager for the Indigo-Go's, asks Link to play the song as a sound check. Gorman, who also sits in the Milk Bar, becomes nostalgic upon hearing the song and, as thanks for playing it, rewards Link with the Circus Leader's Mask.
|Link's Notes|| |
|Deku Link's Notes|| |
|Goron Link's Notes|| |
|Zora Link's Notes|| |
Link and Marin duet
The Ballad played on the Ocarina
The Ballad played with two Instruments of the Sirens
The Ballad played with three Instruments of the Sirens
The Ballad played with four Instruments of the Sirens
The Ballad played with five Instruments of the Sirens
The Ballad played with six Instruments of the Sirens
The Ballad played with seven Instruments of the Sirens
- "Her "Ballad of the Wind Fish" is a song of awakening!" — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "PLAY THE EIGHT INSTRUMENTS! PLAY THE SONG OF AWAKENING!" — Wind Fish (Link's Awakening)
- "The Indigo-Go's is the popular group that we Zora are so proud of. They've put out a lot of songs. One of their hits is "Ballad of the Wind Fish." You know that song, don't you? Huh? You don't? Really? Even one that famous?" — Toto (Majora's Mask)
- "We were scheduled to do a show, but it got canceled. This place has a reputation for being a great live venue, so it's a shame. I'd like to do a sound check, though. I just want to see what it would have been like... Hey, you! Could you help me with a performance?" — Toto (Majora's Mask)
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Ballad of the Windfish (The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening), YuoTube.
|Names in Other Regions|
|French|| Balade du Poisson-Rêve (LA)
Ballade to Poisson du Vent (MM)
| Ballad of the Dream Fish|
Ballad of the Wind Fish